Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel level sending unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Allan
Is there any way to test the fuel level sending unit before I put it back in the tank. It has alot of rust film on it and sounds like some rust flakes got in it. I have a cleaner looker unit out of a parts car but want to make sure it works.

Thanks
jr91472
yes,

Consult your electric diagrams, two of the terminals on the sender will give varying resistance readings depending upon the float position in the sender. Connect your voltmeter set to ohms. If you hold the sender upright, the float should be at the bottom (i.e empty tank). If you turn it upside down, the float should to the "top" (i.e. full tank)

you should see varying resistance levels in the range of 5 to 75 ohms (that was the range on my sender). Do a search here for a previous thread because it seems that different people were reporting different ranges confused24.gif

I would think that the key is that you can read a fairly wide range of resistance levels. If you don't, then your float is probably stuck and you will need to take it a part and clean it. There is an article on Pelican to describes how to do this.

good luck
lapuwali
One of the terminals is the sender, the other is for the low fuel light. Ground is the lid of the unit. Between ground and the light terminal, you should get 0-5 ohms with the float at the bottom, and infinite resistance with the float off the bottom. That's the light terminal. The other terminal and ground should show 0-10 ohms when the float is at the top (full), and 75-100 ohms when the float is at the bottom (empty).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.