Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Newbie Timing Question -
David Mueller
post Mar 11 2005, 02:48 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

I'm trying to remove my distributor (stock unit) so I can install the fancy MSD unit I bought and I'm having some trouble finding TDC...the car is a '74 2.0L -

I have the rotor on the distributor pointing to approx 12:30 - 1:00 and I have two marks on the flywheel...when I move the wheel to rotate the rotor clockwise the flywheel rotates counter-clockwise

On the flywheel the first mark I see is RED and the distributor is approx where it should be @ 1:00 - but three blades further to right on the flywheel I see another mark which is WHITE...and if I move to that one the rotor barely moves...

Which mark should be TDC so I can remove the distributor ?

For some reason my distributor housing doesn't have a notch in it that's supposed to be TDC..the distributor doesn't have a vaccum advance pot on it either...

Second question - What would be the best advance curve to set-up for the MSD igintion - they talk about various spring weights and a advance stop bushing...any buddy have any experience setting up the MSD or even a mallory 'cause it should be similar...

Any help would be appreciated...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 11 2005, 03:47 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Group: Members
Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I believe if the rotor is facing towards the plastic cap that sits on top of the fan housing, then you should be @ TDC

For the Mallory is grey/grey springs...you might be able to find a graph showing the advance curve and go from there.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 02:57 PM