Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie Timing Question -
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
David Mueller
I'm trying to remove my distributor (stock unit) so I can install the fancy MSD unit I bought and I'm having some trouble finding TDC...the car is a '74 2.0L -

I have the rotor on the distributor pointing to approx 12:30 - 1:00 and I have two marks on the flywheel...when I move the wheel to rotate the rotor clockwise the flywheel rotates counter-clockwise

On the flywheel the first mark I see is RED and the distributor is approx where it should be @ 1:00 - but three blades further to right on the flywheel I see another mark which is WHITE...and if I move to that one the rotor barely moves...

Which mark should be TDC so I can remove the distributor ?

For some reason my distributor housing doesn't have a notch in it that's supposed to be TDC..the distributor doesn't have a vaccum advance pot on it either...

Second question - What would be the best advance curve to set-up for the MSD igintion - they talk about various spring weights and a advance stop bushing...any buddy have any experience setting up the MSD or even a mallory 'cause it should be similar...

Any help would be appreciated...
Mueller
I believe if the rotor is facing towards the plastic cap that sits on top of the fan housing, then you should be @ TDC

For the Mallory is grey/grey springs...you might be able to find a graph showing the advance curve and go from there.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.