Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rear suspension console, technical inquiry, rust repair, parts source
mr2by4
post Nov 30 2015, 11:50 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,439
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(cary @ Nov 30 2015, 06:06 AM) *

Doing a Google search it looks like the factory part # 91450104411 is NLA.
JimEllis Porsche has the factory parts catalog online, it comes up NLA.
It comes up on the ECS site at $947. But I'd be surprised if they have it. I would assume its a drop ship link to Porsche.

Having put on both pieces, I think it would tough to install it like that. But that's just my opinion.

I was thinking of going with this.
http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?part...l_number=206041
If I have to go and start cutting out extra parts.
I still prefer just cutting the welds and pulling the console and using some patch panels to tie it back in.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Dec 1 2015, 09:30 PM
Post #42

QUOTE(cary @ Nov 25 2015, 09:27 PM) *

You'll need this after you put the console on.
http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/91.../rd-9-1-08.html

Does getting the console with the shelf help at all? It is hard to tell from the shots here, but all of this appears to be underneath the shelf and not related.
Is there any advantage to getting this?
http://www.autoatlanta.com/detail.php?part...l_number=206041
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Dec 5 2015, 02:15 PM
Post #43

I am so discouraged. I got my suspension console in the mail this week and snuck off to the shop to work on the car for an hour or so. Started to clear the way to cut out the old console and started grinding to get at the welds only to realize that I had "patches" over several sections that I need to get to in order to cut out the welds and remove the console.
Pictures below. Now I am back to thinking that I should just patch and put it back together and save the new console for when I am ready to cut out ALL of this mess.
Any words of encouragement of advice? Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
cary
post Dec 5 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #44

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

It's kind of like peeling an onion .............
Here's another vendor and stuff we hadn't shown you yet ...................
http://www.maddogsmotorsports.org/HELL_HOLE_REPAIR.html

IMO your console is rotting from the inside out ......... so I think patching it is not really a safe option.
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Dec 6 2015, 06:51 AM
Post #45

QUOTE(cary @ Dec 5 2015, 07:12 PM) *

It's kind of like peeling an onion .............
Here's another vendor and stuff we hadn't shown you yet ...................
http://www.maddogsmotorsports.org/HELL_HOLE_REPAIR.html

IMO your console is rotting from the inside out ......... so I think patching it is not really a safe option.

I think that what I have is a home brewed version of that hell hole repair kit, but it was applied over what they thought was a good console, that had started to rust but just was not finished yet.
I suppose I must do something. George at AA suggest grinding off the patch, removing the console and looking. He is optimistic about its potential to not be ruined, but either way it is a win for him. I on the other had could be in a lot of trouble.

+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Dec 6 2015, 07:48 AM
Post #46

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

If you want to put off the big repair, I think you'd need to get some rust killer inside that console and long before/after you patch it. You could probably drill a little hole and use the Eastwood green frame stuff.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 6 2015, 07:57 AM
Post #47

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The suspension consoles rust from the inside out. So if you patch it now, in a year or 3 you will be driving down the road and it will fail. It's already 40-45 years old. It's one of the most critical rust points on a 914. It happens on almost every 914. Better to do the full blown repair now, do it right, put it to bed, and enjoy driving your car.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
cary
post Dec 6 2015, 10:10 AM
Post #48

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I think that what I have is a home brewed version of that hell hole repair kit, but it was applied over what they thought was a good console, that had started to rust but just was not finished yet.
I suppose I must do something. George at AA suggest grinding off the patch, removing the console and looking. He is optimistic about its potential to not be ruined, but either way it is a win for him. I on the other had could be in a lot of trouble.

I think both your assumption and Georges advise is dead on.
The problem is the PO made no provisions for the removing of the console in the future.
Attached Image
You need to figure out if the part I crayoned in is a cover. I think so looking at the weld over the console flange on the right. But don't assume.
The trick is to become an artist with the cut off wheel in short order. Your going to use the thin edge to grind down JUST the weld, not the panel surfaces.
I'm going to start using a cut off wheel like this also. Gives you way more control.
Please wear a face shield when using the cut off wheel without a guard. They are pretty susceptible to chipping
Attached Image
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Dec 6 2015, 05:19 PM
Post #49

QUOTE(mepstein @ Dec 6 2015, 05:57 AM) *

The suspension consoles rust from the inside out. So if you patch it now, in a year or 3 you will be driving down the road and it will fail. It's already 40-45 years old. It's one of the most critical rust points on a 914. It happens on almost every 914. Better to do the full blown repair now, do it right, put it to bed, and enjoy driving your car.

If I take on this repair, my fear is that a year or 3 down the road, I will still not be driving the car.
The phrase "Ran when parked." terrifies me.
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Dec 7 2015, 12:07 PM
Post #50

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(cary @ Dec 6 2015, 11:10 AM) *

The trick is to become an artist with the cut off wheel in short order.

Quoted for truth.

You might be able to just remove the part of the patch that is covering the console corner. Just grind that part of the weld off, and then cut the patch layer along the console edge- it should be easy to extend a scribe line from the part of the edge that is not covered.

Also, if no part of that console is salvageable, I would just cut the exposed part of it out of the way, then you can pry on the remainder from the inside, so to speak.
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Dec 7 2015, 01:46 PM
Post #51

QUOTE(mbseto @ Dec 7 2015, 10:07 AM) *

QUOTE(cary @ Dec 6 2015, 11:10 AM) *

The trick is to become an artist with the cut off wheel in short order.

Quoted for truth.

You might be able to just remove the part of the patch that is covering the console corner. Just grind that part of the weld off, and then cut the patch layer along the console edge- it should be easy to extend a scribe line from the part of the edge that is not covered.

Also, if no part of that console is salvageable, I would just cut the exposed part of it out of the way, then you can pry on the remainder from the inside, so to speak.

That is the plan of attack, but at each point I have sought the path of least resistance and have been sliding incrementally down the slippery slope to total war. If I can get out of this without having to replace the entire section, I will call it a win. Anything better than that will be a miracle!
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Dec 7 2015, 02:57 PM
Post #52

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Yeah, I'm on a similar track. Peeled off patches that look like they were just cut from whatever was lying around and just layered over whatever was there, got to the console and removed it. Stay strong!
+Quote Post
mr2by4
post Dec 23 2015, 07:17 PM
Post #53

So I have leaped in with both feet. I started cutting. I had to cut out my "GT style" battery tray (fabricated from angle iron). I started to clear out the section of the shelf that would need to go and clear off the paint etc to see where are the welds are that I would need to drill out.
Attached Image
I accidentally trimmed too much and revealed the chassis under the suspension console at one point and decided I would see how bad things are before killing myself drilling out all the welds and finding that there is nothing behind it.
I cut a peek hole in the console and revealed rusty(loks to be mostly surface) but solid metal underneath.
Attached Image
I now need to get another couple of abrasive discs, a better face shield and the weld cutter to get in and really make some headway.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 08:04 PM