Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Which fuel pump?
last337
post Nov 25 2015, 09:04 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,221
Region Association: None

I am going to purchase a new fuel pump to attempt to eliminate the fuel starvation issues I am having. I am looking at the rotary pump from CB Performance but they have a 3.5 psi and a 5.5 psi pump available. I think right now I have a Facet 4 psi pump. My question is if I should go ahead and move to the 5.5 psi pump if I am having problems with only 4 psi or is it more likely that the Facet is just not delivering even the 4 psi needed properly? I know Tomlinson says to go with 3.5 psi for Webers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Nov 25 2015, 09:19 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

If you are starving for fuel, it's not pressure that will fix it, it's volume. GPH.
Webber float needles like 3-4 pounds pressure. .
+Quote Post
last337
post Nov 25 2015, 09:41 AM
Post #3

Is the rotary fuel pump the best option for this? I was reading Tomlinson's description of this and he claims that the fuel pumps (like what I have) cause nothing but problems due to fluctuations in flow rates/pressure. He recommends the CB Performance one but I know he works there so is that really the best option?
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Nov 25 2015, 09:51 AM
Post #4

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have installed dozens of CB rotary pumps over the years with no pump issues whatsoever. I still have the same CB rotary that I bought almost 15 years ago on my '66 bus. No issues either. I love them and they are quiet.

The Facet pumps (AKA- "the midget with a machine gun") also require a regulator.

BTW, are you sure you have a fuel starvation issue or is it improper jetting which can feel like a starvation issue?? I've run many hungry 2.3L motors over the years on customer cars who were running the Facet style pump without starvation problems. . .
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 25 2015, 10:04 AM
Post #5

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

On weber carbs you do not want more than 4lbs, ever.
Most have good luck with the rotary CB pump, some here were looking at the pierberg pump that pelican sells and the best pump is likely the Holley red pump.

If you are looking to do it 100% correct then you really need a pressure regulator in the fuel circuit. Malpassi makes a quality regulator.

Also there is a screen in the fuel tank, if this is clogged and/or if there's lot of debris (rust) in the tank you will have flow issues.
+Quote Post
last337
post Nov 25 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #6

I cleaned the tank a while back and replaced the sock filter at that time. I changed my inline filter last night and it was a bit dirty but not too bad.

Everything was working fairly well up to the point of removing the carbs and pulling them apart. I did this with them still attached to the intakes and replaced the intake gaskets so the carb to intake gaskets are still intact. I didnt replace any other parts just cleaned cleaned cleaned. Everything looked fine (float gaskets, float needles, bowl vent valve, diaphragm). I also checked float levels and measured (10mm and 35 mm). The only thing that changed was that one accel pump was not working (which is why I removed them) due to the pin through throttle bar missing. I fixed that and now they both squirt fine.

Now after reassembly (several times) I still get that stumble and cant go past 4k RPM or it falls on its face. I can ease it up slowly but if I accel too hard it falls off then I have to feather it back up. I checked with carb cleaner for vacuum leaks as well. Checked timing (34 degrees). Checked plugs (looked good).

I am so lost at this point about what is going on and fuel pump is next on the list I think. I am reluctant to mess with jets bc even with accel pump not working I was good up in the 4500 RPM range past the point of accel pumps before this whole thing. Now I cant even get there. I also dont think ignition or points bc it really runs great otherwise unless my distributor is having problems with advance. Am I missing something else to check? Could bad points cause this?
+Quote Post
last337
post Nov 25 2015, 12:34 PM
Post #7

Well I went ahead and ordered the rotary pump. Will pull apart dizzy and see what that looks like as well. Any other ideas are appreciated.
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Nov 27 2015, 08:36 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(last337 @ Nov 25 2015, 11:18 AM) *

I cleaned the tank a while back and replaced the sock filter at that time. I changed my inline filter last night and it was a bit dirty but not too bad.

Everything was working fairly well up to the point of removing the carbs and pulling them apart. I did this with them still attached to the intakes and replaced the intake gaskets so the carb to intake gaskets are still intact. I didnt replace any other parts just cleaned cleaned cleaned. Everything looked fine (float gaskets, float needles, bowl vent valve, diaphragm). I also checked float levels and measured (10mm and 35 mm). The only thing that changed was that one accel pump was not working (which is why I removed them) due to the pin through throttle bar missing. I fixed that and now they both squirt fine.

Now after reassembly (several times) I still get that stumble and cant go past 4k RPM or it falls on its face. I can ease it up slowly but if I accel too hard it falls off then I have to feather it back up. I checked with carb cleaner for vacuum leaks as well. Checked timing (34 degrees). Checked plugs (looked good).

I am so lost at this point about what is going on and fuel pump is next on the list I think. I am reluctant to mess with jets bc even with accel pump not working I was good up in the 4500 RPM range past the point of accel pumps before this whole thing. Now I cant even get there. I also dont think ignition or points bc it really runs great otherwise unless my distributor is having problems with advance. Am I missing something else to check? Could bad points cause this?

Your timing may be too far advanced as well. Factory spec for a 2.0 is 27 degrees.
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Nov 27 2015, 08:26 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,469

The Holly red fuel pump is a monster. I was also starved for fuel and this fixed the problem with a regulator of course. It is loud but the biggest problem is that it will not fit under the tank and takes up space in my front trunk.

David
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Nov 27 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #10

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(last337 @ Nov 25 2015, 01:34 PM) *

Well I went ahead and ordered the rotary pump. Will pull apart dizzy and see what that looks like as well. Any other ideas are appreciated.

Timing and ignition.

Check the color of your plugs.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:50 AM