Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1.7 and 2.0 use the same stock cam?
stevegm
post Dec 11 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,633
Region Association: South East States

Do the 1.7 and 2.0 liter use the same stock cam? I have a webcam (stock grind to use with fuel injection) I ordered for my 1.7 that I now want to put in a 2.0 liter.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 11 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

Yeah, they are both the 'djet cam'. Interestingly, the djet cam offered by webcam is not quite the same as the stock djet cam. It's hard to know exactly how they differ as the factory's specs are given differently than those listed on webcam's literature. I've talked to them about it on the phone, and even they are not totally sure.

I'd like to go there and have them profile an oem djet cam on their cam doctor setup, and see what they come up with, to be able to compare apples to apples.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 11 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #3

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Yes, and no. There is a single universal part number for all stock solid-lifter Type IV camshafts. However, we have heard that there were at least three different cams available, differentiated by the number of rings cast into the blank. (Zero, one full ring, or a ring halfway around, were I think the options.) They were used at different times in the various Type IV applications. They evidently had slightly different timing, and some differences in duration.

The late Bus used the late version of the cam, which was the mildest of the lot. I think the early Type IV cams were the most aggressive, and the middle ones were in the middle. None could exactly be described as anything but "mild", but there were those slight differences.

Ah, here is an old thread with some of that info:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph...636&start=0

--DD
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 12 2015, 01:07 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 11,782
Region Association: None

IIrc the rings on the cams were to denote the fit of the gear rather than any difference in the camshaft itself. The original cams the gears are rivited on.

There is the 'early carb cam' that raygreenwood will talk about, this was phased out from what I have read in like 69, and those cams would only be in 411's. There is no middle and late cam, only the early carb, the djet cam, and the 1700 auto, and then the hydraulic cam.

Here is a gif I made illustrating the differences
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.eggscollective.org-11782-1449947259.1.gif)

I compiled my research on the type 4 thread on thesamba a few years ago.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...59&start=60
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 08:44 PM