Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 and 2.0 use the same stock cam?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevegm
Do the 1.7 and 2.0 liter use the same stock cam? I have a webcam (stock grind to use with fuel injection) I ordered for my 1.7 that I now want to put in a 2.0 liter.
nathansnathan
Yeah, they are both the 'djet cam'. Interestingly, the djet cam offered by webcam is not quite the same as the stock djet cam. It's hard to know exactly how they differ as the factory's specs are given differently than those listed on webcam's literature. I've talked to them about it on the phone, and even they are not totally sure.

I'd like to go there and have them profile an oem djet cam on their cam doctor setup, and see what they come up with, to be able to compare apples to apples.
Dave_Darling
Yes, and no. There is a single universal part number for all stock solid-lifter Type IV camshafts. However, we have heard that there were at least three different cams available, differentiated by the number of rings cast into the blank. (Zero, one full ring, or a ring halfway around, were I think the options.) They were used at different times in the various Type IV applications. They evidently had slightly different timing, and some differences in duration.

The late Bus used the late version of the cam, which was the mildest of the lot. I think the early Type IV cams were the most aggressive, and the middle ones were in the middle. None could exactly be described as anything but "mild", but there were those slight differences.

Ah, here is an old thread with some of that info:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.ph...636&start=0

--DD
nathansnathan
IIrc the rings on the cams were to denote the fit of the gear rather than any difference in the camshaft itself. The original cams the gears are rivited on.

There is the 'early carb cam' that raygreenwood will talk about, this was phased out from what I have read in like 69, and those cams would only be in 411's. There is no middle and late cam, only the early carb, the djet cam, and the 1700 auto, and then the hydraulic cam.

Here is a gif I made illustrating the differences
IPB Image

I compiled my research on the type 4 thread on thesamba a few years ago.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic...59&start=60
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.