Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fitting 16X7 Fuchs without body mods???, Can the trailing arms be shaved an inch?
ovilla
post Mar 14 2005, 02:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,660

I'm going for the Rich Johnson Ole Yeller look and have not been successful in getting a hold of Rich. Anyway, does anybody know what needs to be done in order to not have to pull/cut fenders? My paint is still good and would be hard to match, plus I like the look of non-pulled fenders with 16X7's tucked underneath. Also, trailing arm mods might be cheaper. Does anybody know if the trailing arm bolt hole is a solid pipe or is it just fitted at the ends? One thought I had was to shave an inch on the inside (towards the engine side) and add one inch to the other side, thus allowing the arm to stay original but yet slide inwards one inch. I'm also wondering if the side where the hubs attach can be shaved an inch and then just have the caliper mounts moved back an inch too? Not sure if I would need to shave an inch off the CV axles or not. Come on, let's discuss. I'm sure everyone's interested in fitting bigger tires back there without adding flares or pulling fenders. Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 14 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Have you contacted Rich to see if he'll do it for you? That'd be the first place I would start.

The control arm is hollow, I don't know if he slimmed down the arm and shortened the hub carrier or what. But I think it would become a pretty big job. If you shorten up the hub carrier, or the inboard side where the CV bolts, you may need shorter rear axles and whatnot. I would definately score an old trailing arm for mock up instead of using yours at first!
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Mar 14 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Whoops, looksl I should read your whole post - then I would see that you already tried getting a hold of him..
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 14 2005, 02:50 PM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

the problem with 7's are they stick out one inch farther than 6's (same offset..thus they stick out farther)

so... either he runs big neg camber, or he modded the trailing arm....
maybe he narrowd the arm?
maybe he offset the arm at the pivot?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 14 2005, 02:55 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

Here you, complete with pictures (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Timo's trailing arm modifications

you are welcome (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

oh yea, the tire size is still pretty much limited to 205's...you might find a 215 or 225 that'll work, but odds are not in your favor........
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Mar 14 2005, 03:20 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,533

Is there enough room to move the tires inward 1 inch? I don't think so. Some tires have rubbed the inner fender on my car.

The problem is that the inside isn't "just" an inner fender. It is the structure that supports the transmission crossmember. I don't think that can be moved easily. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
ovilla
post Mar 14 2005, 03:21 PM
Post #7

Thanks Mueller. This is exactly what I was looking for.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Mar 14 2005, 03:33 PM
Post #8

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Just so you know... the trailing arms on Rich's car are highly modified to allow the 16x7s to fit. They are narrowed, and a custom mount is installed for the 944 turbo calipers. I don't know exactly what was done to narrow them.. sorry.

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
ovilla
post Mar 14 2005, 03:35 PM
Post #9

In the article there's no mention of having to change anything on the inside of the trailing arms - the inside where the wheel bearing slides into. Isn't there something on the back that prevents the bearing from sliding in too deep? I did my 5-lug conv about 5 years ago and don't have a spare trailing arm sitting around. Another point of discussion. Would one then be able to still use the rear stock calipers but with a 15mm washer/spacer to line up with the rotor? Finally, I'm wondering if the 914 CV axles even need to be shortened or if there's enough "play" in there already. Thoughts?
+Quote Post
ovilla
post Mar 14 2005, 03:37 PM
Post #10

Anybody have a new email for Rich Johnson? I sent one to his old AOL address but no answer yet.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 14 2005, 03:38 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

i believe the "tube" can be cut, and everything moved inboard to the dimension you need....of course the brake caliper mounts need to be relocated as well, but it's not a difficult modification...hardest part is making a fixtue to hold everything together while welding....
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 14 2005, 03:41 PM
Post #12

914 Freak!

I found the pictures of Timos fixture:

(IMG:http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/914-6/KUVIA/5.jpg)
(IMG:http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/914-6/KUVIA/7.jpg)
(IMG:http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/914-6/KUVIA/9.jpg)
(IMG:http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/914-6/KUVIA/Jig4.jpg)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 14 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #13

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

you could always just run 911R 15x7's :-) ...
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 14 2005, 07:38 PM
Post #14

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

I have a pic of a 914 I saw at a show in Mt. Dora, Florida that had a twin-plugged 2.2L (?) with 15X7 911R Fuchs. They fit really nicely with 205's and the fender were not at all streched or rolled.
+Quote Post
Series9
post Mar 14 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #15

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

I might be missing something, but 15 and 16 by 7" (et 23.3mm) both fit without mods.

Here's a picture w/15x7 205/50-15s and I have set up a friend's car with 16x7 and 205/45-16s.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 14 2005, 08:23 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 14 2005, 07:12 PM)
I might be missing something, but 15 and 16 by 7" (et 23.3mm) both fit without mods.

Here's a picture w/15x7 205/50-15s and I have set up a friend's car with 16x7 and 205/45-16s.

I'm betting that those rear fenders are not 100% stock, the lips have been rolled or the rear of the fender has been pulled out ever so slightly (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Series9
post Mar 14 2005, 08:32 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 14 2005, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (914RS @ Mar 14 2005, 07:12 PM)

I'm betting that those rear fenders are not 100% stock, the lips have been rolled or the rear of the fender has been pulled out ever so slightly (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Nope. They're 100% stock and I can prove it when I get home. I still have the pieces I cut out in order to weld up the GT flares.

Until then, here's the best I can do:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 14 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #18

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

Interesting. I wish my 914 is like yours was then; because I know I don't have room for 15X7 or 16X7's under my fenders. I am not even sure if I can fit 195s under tem without streching them or rooling the lips.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 14 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #19

914 Freak!

i've seen a few 914s that people think the rear fenders are bone stock, the area with the arrow is tapered in towards the center of the car, this is where interferance happens with wider tires....this area can also be pulled out by hand to make more room for wider tires and still appear stock if you don't know how much taper to look for...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Series9
post Mar 14 2005, 08:58 PM
Post #20

QUOTE (Mueller @ Mar 14 2005, 07:42 PM)
i've seen a few 914s that people think the rear fenders are bone stock, the area with the arrow is tapered in towards the center of the car, this is where interferance happens with wider tires....this area can also be pulled out by hand to make more room for wider tires and still appear stock if you don't know how much taper to look for...

Who do you think you are drawing on my car! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/cool.gif)

I've never had to pull that area out on a car that I've owned or set up, but I certainly can't speak to the entire history of each car. I have definitely heard of people having trouble running 205s, but have never experienced that difficulty myself.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that if you can pull the area you described out by hand, would that not be far easier and more preferable to performing a major sectioning of the control arm?

Oh, I found a really good picture for this. Mueller, can you tell from this one?

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 06:34 AM