Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Managing the value of the 914
PanelBilly
post Dec 19 2015, 08:45 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,488
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I've been thinking about witting this thread for a while now. I think we may have the ability to influence the pricing of the 914. I realize that we base values on past sales, but I think that the asking price sets the expectation of the final price.

If early 911s can run for $165,000-300,000 then the 914/6 should be in the same range. Creamsickles and Bumblebees should be up there too and excellent /4 should all be over the $100,000 mark.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Big Len
post Dec 19 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

The seller's expectation of the final sales price doesn't mean shit.

I don't get your reasoning.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 19 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I get what you're saying but doubt it will ever happen (sorry). Regardless of the strides made, the 9-1-4 is still the "model" Porsche wish they'd never made - so to speak. This sentiment is very much still alive. Telling everyone to "get on board" and ask more for their cars isn't a strategy that will work. I'll never say never but...

T
+Quote Post
Highland
post Dec 19 2015, 09:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 13,418
Region Association: Southern California

Aren't lower values better for those of us who want to own, collect, and maintain 914's? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Dec 19 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #5

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Buyers set the price by either handing over their money or not. Remember, if 914's go high, people buy other cars that become more attractive price wise. Perfect 4's will bring strong money to a collector but the average price of a 4 has barely changed since I bought my 1st one 30 years ago. 6's have jumped but the $100k six is often quoted but rarely seen. Most seem to sell for $40-60k.

I think if sellers could strongly influence the selling price of a product, we would have never had a real estate crash. No homeowner wants to sell a house for less than than they paid.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
post Dec 19 2015, 10:37 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,245

QUOTE(Big Len @ Dec 19 2015, 07:21 PM) *

The seller's expectation of the final sales price doesn't mean shit.

I don't get your reasoning.

If there was only say 50 914 ever made, maybe one can position the price point for a 914 -4 / 6.
My impression of the current interest are due to two market conditions. The " entry " point for a Porsche, second and those that have the expendable resources to relive that "could have should have moments of the past "....like myself back in 83 I looked and touch the 914 -6 GT that Seinfeld currently owns for 25 k. I wanted to purchase it, but my better half reminded me that I will never sell it, the other comment was you already have a 914 -6.
Thus my opinion is similar to the above.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Dec 19 2015, 11:40 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

Google the Theory of Value.

I like the word appreciation

Two different things
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Dec 20 2015, 12:09 AM
Post #8

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791
Region Association: Northern California

I want the price of 914s and their parts to stay low....unless I ever sell mine. And then I want the prices to go batshit crazy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

You are all thinking the same thing...I just happened to come out and say it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
wes
post Dec 20 2015, 04:02 AM
Post #9

wes

Member No.: 8,436

It seems to me it's a simpel old standerd of supply and demand!i
+Quote Post
somd914
post Dec 20 2015, 05:24 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 12,741
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Ultimately the buyer sets the price.

Sure, we could form a cartel and ask crazy prices for our cars but:

1) There are plenty of owners/dealers out there who would under sell us.

2) Buyers would seek other cars such as 911 SC or 911 Carreras with many nice ones available for under $40k or 944s with nice ones under $15k, or...
+Quote Post
Greg914-6GT
post Dec 20 2015, 06:32 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 17,501

It was nice to see so many people correct the 1st person that posted on this thread.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Dec 20 2015, 08:00 AM
Post #12

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Value is relative and flippers suck. If you don't drive what you have you're not an enthusiast. I'd give a spare part to a friend, but not to money changer. What does this have to do with value? Everything.
+Quote Post
Big Len
post Dec 20 2015, 08:32 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 16,126
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like a crass douchebag.

I guess you're thinking that increasing the asking price of 914's will influence the overall selling price. Maybe might have an effect, but I don't see how you'd pull that off with so many different sellers across the country.

Having a far greater effect on rising prices is the Amelia Island honors, the PCA's greater welcoming of the 914, Panorama's articles on our car, even Walker's interest. Also, have you noticed the diminishing number of NARP quotes?
+Quote Post
Cal
post Dec 20 2015, 08:34 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 18,138
Region Association: North East States

IMO....the values of average condition cars will stay the same or slowly creep up over time mainly due to the amount that were originally produced. The real increase will be in the few exceptional / excellent condition original cars. The market for exceptional cars is driven by the hard core Porsche lovers / collectors that are now waking up and recognizing the true value of the 914. Exceptional cars are typically not sold on eBay or graigslist.....they quietly change hands for large sums of money that the general public isn't aware of.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 20 2015, 10:34 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Not correcting...just pointing the OP towards "reality". If he/she disagrees with my premise, I will not be offended. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

T

QUOTE(Greg914-6GT @ Dec 20 2015, 07:32 AM) *

It was nice to see so many people correct the 1st person that posted on this thread.

And to the person who doesn't care for "flippers/dealers"...I guess you don't care for Bruce Canepa of Canepa Design too? He's the ultimate "flipper"! Like it or not, it takes all kinds to make the car world go around.

T
+Quote Post
thieuster
post Dec 20 2015, 02:29 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

About 6 - 7 yrs. ago, the 912 was dismissed as the 'physically challenged 911'... missing two cylinders. Back then, prices were not too high. Nowadays, 912s are sold for serious money / sales prices we hadn't anticilpated at that time!

The 914s are on a T junction! Left turn: the model Porsche regrets having built - up to this day. (exhiblt A: at the Grand Opening of the World's First Porsche Classic Car Center last month, all models were represented, except the 914!). Right turn: the urge of people to be able to drop the keys of a classic Porsche on top of the bar... The 914 is the last and final Porsche within financial reach for many.

We don't know which way it will go. But there are some things to consider:
- 70% of all Porsches ever built is still on the road and Porsche want to keep it thay way by remanufacturing parts for ALL types. (dixit: Herr Brautigam from Porsche AG).
- Porsche is all about emotion. Nobody needs a Porsche, everybody wants a Porsche. Even a 914.
- Supply and demand: a lot of the 914s were sold to the US. A larger pond with more fishes to catch. Therefore prices in Europe (smaller pond = less cars...) are higher than US prices.
- Tone of voice: every time we, forum members, comment on high asking prices wtih 'too much' and 'I would never...', new buyers will take these words for truth and that will influence prices as well.
- The influence of Group Buys: over on the British Triumph TR forum, a rant is going on about the average age of the TR owners and the archaic attitude of the club. Peopel are walking away. Here: younger people join 914world, also for the wonderful GBs and the interesting CAD/CAM solutions for old problems. It's not only a matter of keeping these cars on the road; members here seek and find 21st century solutions for old problems.
- The generous way people are applauded for engine swaps, flares etc. Modding a 914 is not a dirty trick. It's part of the 914world! That's important for many people considering a 914.
- Finally: Magnus Walker... despite all un-important stuff about his character and driving skills written on this very forum, his name and fame will boost the 914 into new territory. If you like it or not. Better: his marketing skills will put the 914 in the spotlights. And that will raise new interest.

I see no reason why prices will stay the same. They will go up.
+Quote Post
stevegm
post Dec 20 2015, 02:38 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,633

QUOTE(thieuster @ Dec 20 2015, 03:29 PM) *

About 6 - 7 yrs. ago, the 912 was dismissed as the 'physically challenged 911'... missing two cylinders. Back then, prices were not too high. Nowadays, 912s are sold for serious money / sales prices we hadn't anticilpated at that time!

The 914s are on a T junction! Left turn: the model Porsche regrets having built - up to this day. (exhiblt A: at the Grand Opening of the World's First Porsche Classic Car Center last month, all models were represented, except the 914!). Right turn: the urge of people to be able to drop the keys of a classic Porsche on top of the bar... The 914 is the last and final Porsche within financial reach for many.

We don't know which way it will go. But there are some things to consider:
- 70% of all Porsches ever built is still on the road and Porsche want to keep it thay way by remanufacturing parts for ALL types. (dixit: Herr Brautigam from Porsche AG).
- Porsche is all about emotion. Nobody needs a Porsche, everybody wants a Porsche. Even a 914.
- Supply and demand: a lot of the 914s were sold to the US. A larger pond with more fishes to catch. Therefore prices in Europe (smaller pond = less cars...) are higher than US prices.
- Tone of voice: every time we, forum members, comment on high asking prices wtih 'too much' and 'I would never...', new buyers will take these words for truth and that will influence prices as well.
- The influence of Group Buys: over on the British Triumph TR forum, a rant is going on about the average age of the TR owners and the archaic attitude of the club. Peopel are walking away. Here: younger people join 914world, also for the wonderful GBs and the interesting CAD/CAM solutions for old problems. It's not only a matter of keeping these cars on the road; members here seek and find 21st century solutions for old problems.
- The generous way people are applauded for engine swaps, flares etc. Modding a 914 is not a dirty trick. It's part of the 914world! That's important for many people considering a 914.
- Finally: Magnus Walker... despite all un-important stuff about his character and driving skills written on this very forum, his name and fame will boost the 914 into new territory. If you like it or not. Better: his marketing skills will put the 914 in the spotlights. And that will raise new interest.

I see no reason why prices will stay the same. They will go up.

I agree.
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Dec 20 2015, 03:01 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

I guess the new question is will the cost/value of 914's appreciate. The OP presented a case as to be on equal footing with the crazed early 911 prices. Two very different points. I agree that, just as they have to this day, 914's have appreciated and will continue to do so. I am still of the opinioin, however, that they will not climb the inflation ladder and look the 911 models square in the eye. Capiche? Lets keep the conversation on an apples to apples basis or clearly delineate the "new" opinion. Makes only sense when veering off on a branch of the original thought. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

PS: I'm not "yelling" or upset, just sayin'...regarding the above. Very upset about below. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

PS#2: While watching some youtube racing videos today, a MW video came up. NOW I realize why people were so critical of the A-Hole. This guy is any parents or grandparents worst nightmare on the road. I'm not talking about just a little joy-riding, I'm talking complete, utter disregard for human life. Any "grace" earned by his defenders (which makes NO SENSE at all with what I was watching - too many people drinking the cool-aide!) here went down the drain immediately. Either he 180's on his driving style, makes apologies publicly, and stops that nonsense or screw him. He is influencing young minds with judgement calls an 8th-grader would be ashamed of...what a douche bag! I had never heard of the fella prior to that big post last week...I'll forever ignore anything he does from here on out too. Outsiders make their life on our soil then try to bury us in it. Pathetic.

Before even thinking of defending this idiot watch this (and envision your family in cars around him)!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXdq3lGwrCk

T
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Dec 20 2015, 04:16 PM
Post #19

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 20 2015, 04:01 PM) *

Before even thinking of defending this idiot watch this (and envision your family in cars around him)!:

T

Wow...pretty damn stupid stuff...

Starts off by speeding in a congested downtown area and goes downhill from there with street racing.
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Dec 20 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #20

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Dec 20 2015, 02:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Dec 20 2015, 04:01 PM) *

T

Wow...pretty damn stupid stuff...

Starts off by speeding in a congested downtown area and goes downhill from there with street racing.

Yep. Needs to keep that kind of driving on the track.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:00 AM