Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ok, so I got a little of the bad stuff, rust, that is...
tat2dphreak
post Apr 12 2005, 08:44 PM
Post #21

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

yea, I know... the pics look worse than reality...

IF ANYONE, anywhere has these parts, send me a PM... I'm not keen on paying the $90 each for these from restoration design... just for these small spots...

alternatively, can some plain sheet metal be welded here instead of the re-man parts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 13 2005, 08:06 AM
Post #22

stoya, stoya, stoya

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif)

anyone? bueller? anyone?
+Quote Post
rhcb914
post Apr 13 2005, 09:20 AM
Post #23

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,626

I am just about done with the same repair. You could probably just cut off the posts and support and weld on new ones. I got my parts from Tweeks $20 for both the post and support. Not sure about the front area of the rocker. Mine were solid so I didn't mess with them. You could probably just bend some sheet metal. I fabricated all of the patches using the side of my work bench and a BFH. They came out pretty close to the original. Not concourse quality but pretty nice.

Check out my progress thread. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Good luck!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

Jack Post Repair
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 13 2005, 09:28 AM
Post #24

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE (rhcb914 @ Apr 13 2005, 10:20 AM)
I am just about done with the same repair. You could probably just cut off the posts and support and weld on new ones. I got my parts from Tweeks $20 for both the post and support. Not sure about the front area of the rocker. Mine were solid so I didn't mess with them. You could probably just bend some sheet metal. I fabricated all of the patches using the side of my work bench and a BFH. They came out pretty close to the original. Not concourse quality but pretty nice.

Check out my progress thread. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

Good luck!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beer.gif)

Jack Post Repair

LOL, I was replying to your thread, while you were replying to mine!

what kind of metal did you use? thinkness?

I'm thinking about just putting a plate in, instead of putting a jack post in at all... I'll fill in the hole for it on the rocker pannels.... but I want to use the right metal for strength...

I liked your idea of spraying por15 in the long... I'll be doing that, since I'm cutting the holes anyway...

I don't care about "concourse" quality... I just want to drive it and beat the hell out of it..
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Apr 13 2005, 12:51 PM
Post #25

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I have to ask...

Why does anyone (other than the CW types) put the jack post back on? It seems like a lot of work for something I know I would never use. Does anyone use the jack post?????? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 13 2005, 12:56 PM
Post #26

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE (sgomes @ Apr 13 2005, 01:51 PM)

Why does anyone (other than the CW types) put the jack post back on? It seems like a lot of work for something I know I would never use. Does anyone use the jack post?????? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

good Question, I'm not putting posts back on, I don't even have a stock jack... but I dunno why anyone would risk life limb and loss of car by using one... I carry a small floor jack...
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 13 2005, 12:58 PM
Post #27

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

i have to keep the stock jack points because my car is sooo low.... cant get a floor jack under it (especcialy with a flat)
so i have on eof those jack plate adapter tools....
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Apr 13 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #28

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Apr 13 2005, 07:28 AM)

I liked your idea of spraying por15 in the long... I'll be doing that, since I'm cutting the holes anyway...

i think i saw another thread on here recently that showed before and after pics of a guy who sprayed inside his longs.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 13 2005, 02:47 PM
Post #29

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I find the jack point very handy... a very quick way to lift the whole side of the car and get quick access underneath.

The square tubing keeps things from getting squirelly as long as the jack has a secure footing.

Here I go AGAIN, making an ass of myself, sticking my foot firmly in my mouth... I'm such a pho king idiot.

But, I like the factory jack points... not for the CW but for the FUNCTION. The factory jack with a socket is very FUNCTIONAL. Lift the car, put a jack stand under there... no risk of life or limb.

Ok... I still want to learn from your experience... If you have EXPERIENCED a problem with factory jack points, PLEASE share!
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 13 2005, 03:03 PM
Post #30

stoya, stoya, stoya

QUOTE (RandyLok @ Apr 13 2005, 03:47 PM)
I find the jack point very handy... a very quick way to lift the whole side of the car and get quick access underneath.

The square tubing keeps things from getting squirelly as long as the jack has a secure footing.

Here I go AGAIN, making an ass of myself, sticking my foot firmly in my mouth... I'm such a pho king idiot.

But, I like the factory jack points... not for the CW but for the FUNCTION. The factory jack with a socket is very FUNCTIONAL. Lift the car, put a jack stand under there... no risk of life or limb.

Ok... I still want to learn from your experience... If you have EXPERIENCED a problem with factory jack points, PLEASE share!

I think the main issue is using the stock JACK with the jack post... as I understand it has a tendancy to shoot off if the ground isn't level
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Apr 13 2005, 03:15 PM
Post #31

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (sgomes @ Apr 13 2005, 10:51 AM)

They are dangerous, if mine are at all crusty, they get cut off. I use a sizzors jack for mine. Small, won't colapse.

Yes, the stock jacks can "kick" out if you aren't careful. They don't like gravel or hills of any sorts. Not one of Porsches/VW's better designs. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
tnorthern
post Apr 13 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #32

Your Mom's []

Member No.: 3,859

As far as the stock jack.... mine recently failed on completely level ground with blocks on the tires (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif) good thing i was at a gas station that happened to have a shop (rarity these days for sure) and the mechanics were there (even rarer!) so i saved my day and got a tire back on.
+Quote Post
Rand
post Apr 13 2005, 04:08 PM
Post #33

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Agreed, crusty jack points are crap. But I'm talking about jack points that are repaired to solid. They quickly lift the whole side of the car and are secured by the square tubing that goes deep enough to solidly secure and anchor things. I've never seen a factory jack kick out sideways. If you have actually experienced a factory jack kicking out and dropping a car while connected to a solid jack point, please share. If a scissors jack is more secure than a square tubing insert into the body, please explain and I'll be happy to simplify my frame rail!!! That would be nice! I just need to know that's from experience and not theory.

+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Apr 15 2005, 08:38 AM
Post #34

stoya, stoya, stoya

should I invest in one of these: the interior long kit from engman?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=...=ST&f=4&t=12376

or do you think just putting the patch in is good enough for a street car?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 10:22 AM