Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just another 2056 build, Misc Questions
sdoolin
post Sep 18 2016, 10:03 AM
Post #181

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,299
Region Association: None

Fan, belt, and alternator pulley fitted. I fit a fan guard as was used in the buses. Not sure I will leave it there.

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Sep 18 2016, 10:06 AM
Post #182

Close up of thermo cable & cooling flaps. I indexed the bar for the flaps, the two white dots mark the cold position when lined up. When warm they will (hopefully) become un-aligned and I'll know the flaps are operating at a glance.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Gearhead1432
post Sep 18 2016, 03:12 PM
Post #183

Member No.: 5,304

Cork seems like the right gasket material between the fan shroud and heat ducts. Here's a look at what's left of an original gasket.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Garland
post Sep 18 2016, 11:30 PM
Post #184

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Cork is correct!
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Sep 19 2016, 06:34 AM
Post #185

Cork it is then! Thanks gentlemen(?)...
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Sep 22 2016, 12:21 PM
Post #186

How does the "world" feel about the Bosch 009 dizzy? I had one on my bus engine (all stock except for dual Dells) and while it worked OK, I always attributed a small and annoying flat spot right off idle to that dizzy.

I believe for a street ride some amount of vacuum advance is desirable? The 009 is purely mechanical advance.

As always any/all advice appreciated.
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Oct 23 2016, 09:59 AM
Post #187

OT - if you ever (EVER) have the chance to turn laps at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta, DO IT!

Our local PCA Chapter was gifted 4 tickets to the PEC by our dealer and one of them landed in my pocket. I chose to drive the Macan GTS as I am likely going to buy one in the next few years. They gave me 90 mins. on track with a coach. I was allowed to drive as hard as I felt I could, and I pretty much shredded an expensive set of tires (I have done quite a few DEs in my 993, so going somewhat fast at the racetrack not entirely new to me). No complaints from my coach, no complaints from me. They have several "modules" at the facility including a "handling track (sorta high speed), 2 skid pads (one is wet), a low grip handling circuit, launch control and slalom straight, and a "kick-plate". All very much fun. They do have an off-road track but they would not let me drive the Macan on it, apparently there's a water crossing that is too deep. There is an on-site restaurant, bar, museum and Porsche Classic workshop. They are building a hotel on-site as well.

The Macan and my ugly mug...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Oct 23 2016, 10:09 AM
Post #188

So now back on-topic. My 2056 build is nearly complete. I just need to finish a throttle cable bracket, pre-tune the carbs, double and triple check everything, and then I think I can install it back in the car and run it.

And yet I have a conundrum...

Attached Image

You can see that my transaxle is filthy, and I cannot bring myself to bolt it to the engine (which is spotless) in this condition. So, do I simply clean-up the exterior of it (which will be a painfull process with contact cleaner, simple green and toothbrushes), or do I rip it apart and make any needed repairs (it was working fine) and send the case(s) out to be beadblasted? I kinda hate to tear it apart just to clean it up.

As seen here I have already spent more than an hour doing a rough cleaning, and I am discouraged by the results...
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Oct 23 2016, 10:38 AM
Post #189

Member No.: 6,499

Steve, one of my customers with a large ultrasonic parts washer, like the one I use, recently sealed the vent on his own tranny and ran it through his large ultrasonic parts washer. It won't hurt the seals or gaskets, and if any fluid did get inside it won't hurt the internals, so why not.

It worked well for him.

If you find a shop with one large enough, be sure to drain the lube before taking it in.
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Oct 23 2016, 11:14 AM
Post #190

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Oct 23 2016, 12:38 PM) *

Steve, one of my customers with a large ultrasonic parts washer, like the one I use, recently sealed the vent on his own tranny and ran it through his large ultrasonic parts washer. It won't hurt the seals or gaskets, and if any fluid did get inside it won't hurt the internals, so why not.

It worked well for him.

If you find a shop with one large enough, be sure to drain the lube before taking it in.

Large ultrasonic parts washer. I will search locally for a shop. Thanks for the tip.
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Nov 4 2016, 06:20 AM
Post #191

Getting very close to being able to install the engine back into the car (just in time for winter of course).

Have distributor installed and timed at 5(ish) degrees BTDC for initial run and cam break in. Carbs are pre-tuned and synched by hand/ear. Am working on a throttle cable bracket that affixes to the right side engine tin (pic below).

Attached Image

The plate bolts to an existing nut that was used for the coil mount and I added a rivnut next to that for additional stability. The throttle cable will affix to the outermost hole in the bracket. I welded a couple of extensions onto one of the throttle linkage arms to accept the barrel nut. I'm not finished dressing it up yet, but you get the idea. Very clean install, and when I'm done dressing it up it should look pretty much like a factory bit.

Question for those with carbs - do you install carbs before engine in car or do you wait until engine in place and then install? I ask because the carbs are just incrementally wider than the engine tins and it appears that they may hinder installation.
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Dec 11 2016, 04:47 PM
Post #192

Life keeps getting in the way of me completing this. Plus as soon as I put it back in the car I won't be able to look at it as much...

Throttle cable bracket slotted to match carb tops, linkage lever-arm modified to accept throttle cable. All bits bead blasted to look as if they came together.

I am trying hard to get the engine back in the car this week. Might even hear it run.

Attached Image

Attached Image
This picture rotated by "the World" for unknown reasons...

I think I saw a thread here on "the World" about a wiring harness "fix" wherein there is a jumper to ground from the relay board. I think I have that handled. I have a low PSI pump to install and I will run return fuel from carbs to tank.

Ignition timing set to (about) 5 degrees BTDC for initial running, cam break-in and first heat-cycle.

BradPenn break in oil ready to go.

Anymore "gotchas" I need to know about before firing her up?
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Dec 20 2016, 10:52 AM
Post #193

I am getting really close now. These cases haven't seen a transmission in nearly 30 years, so this is a big step.

It is quite aggrevating to me that the "world" rotates pics on a whim. This is a cool pic (in my opinion), but the "world" screws it all up. Stupid.

Attached Image

For all you carb experts, is this an acceptable way to block off the vacuum ports? I won't use vacuum signal for anything. I do realize that the mixture screws are missing, they are on the bench.

Attached Image

Also wondering about transaxle lube and what is recommended? I'll do a search for it but in the meantime if you happen upon this post and know an answer, feel free to shout it out.

Mounting low pressure fuel pump tonight, re-installing engine bay rubber gaskets, repairing a broken rear trunk hinge, and then I think I can install the engine and transaxle.
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Dec 20 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #194

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

[And yet I have a conundrum...

Attached Image

You can see that my transaxle is filthy, and I cannot bring myself to bolt it to the engine (which is spotless) in this condition. So, do I simply clean-up the exterior of it (which will be a painfull process with contact cleaner, simple green and toothbrushes), or do I rip it apart and make any needed repairs (it was working fine) and send the case(s) out to be beadblasted? I kinda hate to tear it apart just to clean it up.

As seen here I have already spent more than an hour doing a rough cleaning, and I am discouraged by the results...
[/quote]

I cleaned my tranny case without dipping the whole thing, used a plastic tub and just sprayed simple green type cleaners around and scrubbed & scrubbed till all the grease was gone, then painted it with hi temp aluminum paint, it's still staying clean.
i also put a length of plastic tubing stuck into the top breather fitting and ducted it down to just below the tranny case. Will save future gunk build-up
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Dec 20 2016, 08:38 PM
Post #195

I ask questions, but don't get many answers. I'm trying not to get a complex over it...
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Dec 20 2016, 09:18 PM
Post #196

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(sdoolin @ Nov 4 2016, 07:20 AM) *

\
Question for those with carbs - do you install carbs before engine in car or do you wait until engine in place and then install? I ask because the carbs are just incrementally wider than the engine tins and it appears that they may hinder installation.

Also wondering about transaxle lube and what is recommended? I'll do a search for it but in the meantime if you happen upon this post and know an answer, feel free to shout it out.

Between the width and height of the carbs, I find it's easier to leave them bolted to the manifolds, and just unbolt the manifolds for installation.

And, as for the transmission lube, I go with Dr. Evil's recommendation for plain ole 90 wt dino.

I need to clean and paint my transmission as well. Any more tips on that? What kind of brush did you use and what did you cover/plug/protect?
+Quote Post
snakemain
post Dec 20 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #197

Ronin Member

Member No.: 11,232

First time seeing your thread bc I'm not on much, but yeah I'd get a complex too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

All the times I've pulled/installed the engine, I removed carbs/manifolds together. Gets rid of the extra height and seems just simpler for me.

Tranny, I think the way you did is probably what most people end up doing.

My wife and I both super enjoy our Macan S! After 2 years and 35K miles, it's been flawless and is a great combination of super fun to drive, nice on long trips, and fits our 2 kids and stuff in the back if we need to travel. And it'll tow a 914 without protest.
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Dec 21 2016, 06:54 AM
Post #198

Got it on the carbs, I'll pull the manifolds with carbs intact before installation. I did see the info about old school dino oil for transaxle (80W/90 or straight 90W).

Cleaning transaxle - what a chore. I spent the national debt on contact cleaner and started with that and a couple of very stiff bristle brushes (Kroger). The only thing I covered was the vent. That got the really heavy grimy stuff off. Next step was a toothbrush(es) with more contact cleaner. Finally I went after it with simple green. Using a spray bottle I soaked it for an hour or so - repeatedly spraying it down and finished up with more toothbrush work. Took the better part of a day on again off again. It came out about as well as I could've expected.

Good also to know about the Macan S. I have heard nothing but good things about them and in the next year or 2 I'll pick up a lightly used one.
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Dec 21 2016, 12:43 PM
Post #199

Any advice or tips on installing new engine compartment rubber seals? I have reconnoitered this briefly and seems like it will be quite painful. Not sure if better to start the rubber bit into the channel and slide along, or just start the upper bit of the rubber all along the channel and press fit the lower lip of the rubber. Kind of hard to explain.

I searched, didn't find anything specific.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Dec 21 2016, 02:13 PM
Post #200

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(sdoolin @ Dec 21 2016, 01:43 PM) *

Any advice or tips on installing new engine compartment rubber seals? I have reconnoitered this briefly and seems like it will be quite painful. Not sure if better to start the rubber bit into the channel and slide along, or just start the upper bit of the rubber all along the channel and press fit the lower lip of the rubber. Kind of hard to explain.

I searched, didn't find anything specific.

Don't try to slide the seal. Place the lower lip in the channel and press upper lip in with a blunt tool (preferably something that WON'T puncture the seal). It takes a little time but it is only a minor PITA.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

13 Pages V « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 08:40 AM