Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Just another 2056 build, Misc Questions
sdoolin
post Jan 16 2016, 03:01 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,299
Region Association: None

OK OK OK OK y'all are scaring me!

I don't believe my local shop can perform the align-bore. He can measure the thing, but he didn't seem comfortable align-boring it if it is out. And from what the experts here say this thing WILL need align-bored.

I will either send it out for that work, or source (maybe?) a set of cases & crank already done.

It's just money after all - and I can't take it with me when I depart this reality/dimension...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Jan 16 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 16 2016, 12:41 PM) *

I believe the gentleman that just posted, Jesco Reinent also has several cases that are align-bored and decked, ready to go. He does great work, perhaps he'll share his pictures in this thread.

Jesco R. - if this is true, I'd like to talk. I saw your dipstick tube fix (thanks) and if I end up using these cases I can do that work in-house.
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Jan 16 2016, 03:35 PM
Post #23

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Jan 15 2016, 01:31 PM) *

Sorry I did not read thru the whole post and all comments.... maybe I won't cover something mentioned. But my 2 cents:

I have read that if you have a choice,
1. start with a 1.7 case. Clearance is required to build over a 1.8 with it, but I believe they are beefier all 'round.
2. You will hear it all the time... Bus engines push heavy buses, you might be starting with a more worn case mile for mile.
3. Study up on the benefits of using 911 rockers with swivel feet, not a big expense, but you should decide.
4. buy the kit and pull the pressed in oil galley plugs with screw in type. once I put a drill bit on the big ones, they FELL out. Imagine what would happen with oil pressure.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
5. I re-used the PP, FW and resurfaced the clutch
my daily driver. Took them all to a shop that specializes in clutches and they made them like new for about $150.
6. on your CR question, Len will be able to tell you the volume of the combustion area in the head. If he is supplying. IIRC mine was something like 55cc? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) He wrote it with a sharpie on the head.
7. find a copy of Jake's video to go with all the books you should have also purchased... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

In reference to item one. I was thoroughly chastised by the late Capn when I posted that the 1.7 case registers needed to be opened to accept the 2.0 cylinders. They do not!

Item 3. 911 rockers will not work in a type 4. You can use 911 swivel feet adjusters on 1.7 rockers with a small modification. Well worth the effort.

I agree about the bus engines. They've been rode hard and put away wet.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 16 2016, 03:48 PM
Post #24

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Jesco Reient @ Jan 16 2016, 12:25 AM) *

To be sure you want to make sure that before you do anything else the Bores for the crankshaft bearings are round AND in line with each other. I don't see anything that is "just fine go ahead and run it" We do a lot of line bore on Type IV cases and we are having to to clean the cylinder spigots about 0.010 to make them flat and match side to side on average. A precision straight edge will tell you what is going on with #1, #2, and #3, but you'll need a little more to see how #4 lines up. We invested a lot of time and money making better tooling.

Good luck let me know if I can be of help.
John

Could you post a link to your website?
A ready to go case and crank is certainly a tempting way to start a build.
+Quote Post
G e o r g e
post Jan 16 2016, 05:12 PM
Post #25

Dr

Member No.: 4,832

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2016, 01:48 PM) *

To be sure you want to make sure that before you do anything else the Bores for the crankshaft bearings are round AND in line with each other. I don't see anything that is "just fine go ahead and run it" We do a lot of line bore on Type IV cases and we are having to to clean the cylinder spigots about 0.010 to make them flat and match side to side on average. A precision straight edge will tell you what is going on with #1, #2, and #3, but you'll need a little more to see how #4 lines up. We invested a lot of time and money making better tooling.

John

Rich your getting lazy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Jesco Reient
post Jan 16 2016, 05:33 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 14,690
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(sdoolin @ Jan 16 2016, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Jan 16 2016, 12:41 PM) *

I believe the gentleman that just posted, Jesco Reinent also has several cases that are align-bored and decked, ready to go. He does great work, perhaps he'll share his pictures in this thread.

Jesco R. - if this is true, I'd like to talk. I saw your dipstick tube fix (thanks) and if I end up using these cases I can do that work in-house.

I'll send you a PM, give me a call I'd be glad to talk about your crankcase.
John
+Quote Post
Jesco Reient
post Jan 16 2016, 05:39 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 14,690
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 16 2016, 01:48 PM) *

John

I keep getting asked about a website, and have yet to make a website. I'll find a link to the cases I had ready to go, I'm getting ready to run some more through the process. However they will be ready to go,except for balancing, With bearings, crankshaft, and line bored.

Here are pictures of one of the past cases I had ready to go.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1401594996.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1401594996.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1401594996.3.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1401594997.4.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1401594997.5.jpg)

Before semi-retirement I built Rolls Royce Merlin V-12 engines and large Curtiss Wright 18 Cylinder radial engines for unlimited airplane racing. The tooling available that I was looking at was in my opinion substandard for the result I wanted. Even well known Type IV builders regarding line boring the Type IV case suggested finding one that did not need to be line bored. So as I did with the aircraft engines when a challenge came along, I studied the process, looked at what was being done and what it was going to take to get the result I wanted to achieve. So I made a new boring bar out of very stable linear way tool steel I made it as large as possible allowing the best available 90 degree cutting plane, Hard chromed the wear areas, used the highest quality indexable carbide boring tooling available and built a new bar with tapered expandable colletts on each end to locate the bar accurately. The total run-out on each of the expandable colletts was less than .0001 thousandths of an inch. I have done several cases up to this point with excellent results. I thought possibly it was time to explain this, and perhaps you will all understand the reason for the pricing. I also made the tooling for cutting the cylinder registers while torqued to a plate so the torque stresses are correct for those areas also.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1013.photobucket.com-14690-1402414890.1.jpg)

The tooling laid into a case to show it's fitment.

John
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 17 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #28

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Wow. That's the way to do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Jan 17 2016, 06:15 PM
Post #29

Today's progress. Cleaned case halves (to the best of my abilities)...

Attached Image

Crank doesn't look too bad...

Attached Image

Next step is to send these case halves out to a pro for measuring and align-boring and decking (if needed)...
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Jan 17 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #30

Unusual damage to #4 cylinder deck. I must not be the first one in here which is a little strange because this engine came from a single owner bus that I purchased 30 some years ago...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Jan 17 2016, 06:23 PM
Post #31

Case halves don't look too too bad...

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Jan 24 2016, 08:45 AM
Post #32

Still looking for an East coast/local shop to measure and machine my cases, looks like I may have to send them out West (Jesco Reient).

In the mean time I have been researching valvetrain set up. Have read all that I can on 914world (searches on "valvetrain geometry" yield 4 - 5 decent results) and these threads generally reference Raby's article(s) on this subject. Which I can't seem to find. Which I am SURE I need to read.

Anyone have a link to that information?
+Quote Post
stugray
post Jan 24 2016, 11:35 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

QUOTE(sdoolin @ Jan 24 2016, 07:45 AM) *

Anyone have a link to that information?

PM sent
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Jan 24 2016, 07:00 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(sdoolin @ Jan 24 2016, 06:45 AM) *

Still looking for an East coast/local shop to measure and machine my cases, looks like I may have to send them out West (Jesco Reient).

Len Hoffman......here's a link: http://www.hamincgroup.com/services.php
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Jan 25 2016, 06:56 AM
Post #35

QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jan 24 2016, 08:00 PM) *

QUOTE(sdoolin @ Jan 24 2016, 06:45 AM) *

Len Hoffman......here's a link: http://www.hamincgroup.com/services.php

Thanks for the tip. I emailed Len about a week ago and have not heard back from him. So - still looking...
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Jan 27 2016, 09:07 AM
Post #36

Update - cases are out being measured (crank bore & cylinder decks). Jugs are also in shop for boring to accept 96mm peestons.

Reading - reading - reading...

My "kit" from Type IV Store includes the 911 swivel feet valve adjusters/nuts along with rocker shafts/studs. I did not order an adjustable pushrod from them - but will do so before I get to that stage of the build.

To use the swivel feet adjusters I believe (OK - I KNOW) I will need 1.7 rockers (and they will need to be modified). Best place for these? Just place a WTB in classifieds?
+Quote Post
Java2570
post Jan 27 2016, 11:13 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You might check with Brad Mayeur at 914 LTD about the 1.7 rockers....I got a set from him. http://914ltd.com
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Jan 27 2016, 02:36 PM
Post #38

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Jan 27 2016, 12:13 PM) *

You might check with Brad Mayeur at 914 LTD about the 1.7 rockers....I got a set from him. http://914ltd.com

Thank you - sent them an email.
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Feb 3 2016, 08:57 PM
Post #39

So the news is in...

My local guy says that these cases do NOT need align bored or decked. I imagine this is hard to believe?
+Quote Post
sdoolin
post Mar 4 2016, 04:57 PM
Post #40

Just received a pair of HAM RS+ Spec Cyl. Heads. Those of you that have observed these beautiful pieces know how sweet they are, and how well they work. Cases are ready for me from local machine shop and I will pick-up Monday. So I can begin (again) the build.

2 Beautiful new heads...
Attached Image

Old/Stock head vs HAM RS+ note the squish/quench area differences, plug hole has been re-angled for chamber shape...
Attached Image
+Quote Post

13 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 07:55 PM