Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cool new wideband sensor setup, due out soon
lapuwali
post Mar 17 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Innovate Stuff

The Innovate Motorsports people are soon to release a new toy for wideband O2 sensing, the LC-1. I just looks like a fat plug you plug a stock Bosch sensor into, and will dump out a simple analog voltage (programmable, even), so you can use everything from a DMM to your Megasquirt to some other datalogging tool, and leave the thing hooked up all the time, rather than having the big and expensive LM-1 meter sliding around in the car.

Now I just have to finish assembling my MS...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gary
post Apr 19 2005, 08:27 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Looks like it's out, kinda. It's now on the products page, but outta stock until May 5th: LC-1.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 19 2005, 08:38 PM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

how do you read what its saying????

Lm1 has a user interface.... does the Lc1 hook up to a computer?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 19 2005, 08:42 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Apr 19 2005, 07:38 PM)
how do you read what its saying????

Lm1 has a user interface.... does the Lc1 hook up to a computer?

if'n i'm reading it correctly, the unit will give a signal to the programmable fuel injection for closed loop operation (the brain will try to keep the a/f ratio within whatever range you tell the brain it "should" be)

+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Apr 19 2005, 10:24 PM
Post #5

Not another one!

Yes, it's primarily meant to be hooked to an ECU, so you can use full closed loop control with an AFR target of other than 14.7:1. However, the outputs can be set up to display various things (there are two, both active all the time), and one of the normally displays 10:1 to 20:1 as 0-1v (or 0-5v, I forget). Displaying this can be done with a very simple circuit that costs about $10 to assemble on an array of 10 or 20 LEDs, or you can use a multi-function gauge they're making, or you could even set up the output to mimic a narrowband sensor's output, and use one of the narrowband gauges on the market, except this one is actually accurate beyond 14.7:1.

The Megasquirt people are just falling all over themselves with this, as MS can be set to target any AFR you like with the output of this thing.

The only downside for the 914 is that the Type IV puts enough oil into the exhaust that you'd likely poison an O2 sensor in a few hundred miles of use. It could be useful if I end up doing that Soob conversion, though.
+Quote Post
Gary
post Apr 19 2005, 10:41 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Apr 19 2005, 08:24 PM)
...The only downside for the 914 is that the Type IV puts enough oil into the exhaust that you'd likely poison an O2 sensor in a few hundred miles of use...

Really? Never read this anywhere.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Apr 19 2005, 10:52 PM
Post #7

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

thats too bad... oil kill 02 sensors eh?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 20 2005, 01:40 PM
Post #8

914 Freak!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/icon_bump.gif) for James to 'esplain himself (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)

Really? Never read this anywhere.

I would tend to think that yes, an aircooled engine is going to have more oil in the exhaust due to the pistons/rings having not as tight as fit as a watercooled engine can get away with,
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Apr 20 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #9

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

Has anyone have any experience with the UEGO 1000 from EFIsystems? This is there unit:

UEGO 1000

(IMG:http://www.efisystems.com/images/uego1000_200.jpg)

I was recommended this wideband controlled over the LM-1 by a reputable Porsche tuner who has used both extensively. He mentioned that the LM-1 had to be reset and/or recalibrated constantly.

I am looking for a wideband controller that can output a value to the electromotive TEC3 brain for extended tunability. I really don't need a display because it will be logged in the TEC3 datalogger. I want something that will be plug and play...essentially leaving it alone, will this new LC-1 be an good option?

-Britain
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Apr 20 2005, 02:30 PM
Post #10

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

The LC-1 (aka Lambda Cable) is a complete wideband controller built in to a sealed and rugged cable. It features the same industry-leading patented digital circuit found in the proven LM-1, and includes digital in & out, plus two programmable analog outputs. The LC-1 can connect directly to the XD-1 for a standalone AFR gauge, and is ideal for using with an ECU, a piggy-back fuel controller, a laptop/OBD-II tuner, a separate data logger system, or a dyno. (If your dyno has analog inputs, you can start doing 8-cylinder tuning without even waiting for LogWorks 2.0). MSRP on the LC-1 is $199 with a sensor, and $149 without a sensor, so you can see we’re still serious about bringing you the best in pro-quality digital tools at prices for the pro and enthusiast alike!

Also, what is the digital input for?
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Apr 20 2005, 02:58 PM
Post #11

Not another one!

Hm. Can't find a reference anywhere. I've read this a few times on EFI boards and mailing lists, though now that I think of it, this advice first appeared back in the days when WB sensors were so expensive ($250 each), that any threat to it was a very bad thing. The Bosch LSU sensor used by the LC-1 is only $25 each, and is a different enough design that it may survive a harsher environment. The sensors can certainly be poisoned by excess fuel, oil, or coolant (in water-cooled stuff), so blowing a head gasket can kill a sensor, too, as can running way rich.

Certainly, the only air-cooled production engine I can think of that used an O2 sensor as part of an OEM injection system is the later 911 engines. The only VW engines that would have been used in the era of O2 sensors are water-cooled, except MAYBE some of the very late Bus stuff (some of which was water-cooled).

The bulk of the OEM systems using a WB sensor for closed loop control usually run the engine leaner than ideal for lowest emissions and best fuel economy. Some, esp. Hondas, deliberately run VERY lean (17:1). This is WHY WB sensors came into being in the first place. Many of the early sensors, in fact, had a wider measurement range and better accuracy on the lean side than on the rich side, going from 20:1 to about 13:1. The Innovate people claim accuracy from 20:1 to 10:1, and they seem to be relatively stand-up people, so it looks like the LSU is a better sensor than the early Honda units. I have no idea if any of the sensors, even the LSU, would cope well with running at 12-13:1 for long periods, as the rich mixtures may poison them over the long haul.

Something to experiment with if/when I ever get one of these things.

Britain, you should go poking around the msefi forums. There's some discussion of the other wideband units in comparison to the Innovate units. There's a LOT of misinformation out there, some caused by ignorance, some caused by, um, commercial motives. The Innovate stuff CAN be calibrated fairly easily, sometimes TOO easily (the "free air" calibration requires that the sensor be removed from the pipe, really). I have no actual experience with any of these things, but I know some of the people doing the discussing, and they DO have direct experience with them.

In addition to the one Britain showed, the Tech-Edge people (Aussie company) also have a compact unit for roughly the same price as Innovate called the 2C0. It's not quite as small or tidy as the Innovate. The Tech-Edge site also has some discussion on the differences between their stuff and the Innovate, which seems pretty fair-minded. Everyone seems to have a healthy respect for the guy that founded Innovate, and the way his controller works seems to be quite different from the way a lot of the other controllers work, and it's apparently quite clever. I don't fully understand what he's doing, but I still don't fully understand how these sensors work, either.

One of the things I like about Innovate is they're practically local, in San Juan Capistrano. EFI Systems is in South Carolina.

+Quote Post
airsix
post Apr 20 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #12

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

I have had the Bosch LSU sensor on my car for about 5,000 miles (probably about 1/2 with turbo and half without). My engine is a 100k-mile worn-out oil-spitting typeIV and so far the only problems I've had with my LSU sensor is that I got water in the plug twice. I sealed the plug and it's been happy ever since. No problemo.

As to the comment about needing to recalibrate constantly... Well I've only recalibrated twice in a year. And it was only done to see if it was "off". It wasn't. Calibration takes about 30 seconds by the way. No big whoop.

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Apr 20 2005, 04:09 PM
Post #13

Sorta off-topic: If you hook this new LC-1 up to a MS ECU, can you program different A/F ratios for different loads or is it one A/F target across the whole spectrum? It would be nice if for example you could tell it you want 13:1 at high vaccum, 12.3:1 at atmospheric, and 11:1 under boost. (just example numbers mind you). Can it do this?

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Apr 21 2005, 07:44 AM
Post #14

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

Ben

Any of the wideband units can do this. The wideband controller just supplies a voltage to the ECU. Most supply a 0-5 volt or 0-4 volt signal. What the ECU does with it is up to the program that is being run. I'm using a Techedge unit and it works pretty well. The corrections are always behind an injection cycle so if the rate of change and the allowed amplitude are too great it can actually make a decent tune a little worse. I suspect that with a huge grid this would be less of a problem but, with a 16 X 16 it can be.

Dave
+Quote Post
airsix
post Apr 21 2005, 10:25 AM
Post #15

Dave,
I think you missunderstood my question (I wasn't very clear). What I'm currious about is with regard to the Megasquirt. Can you set multiple A/F targets based on manifold pressure, or are you limited to setting a single A/F target?

-Ben M.
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Apr 21 2005, 10:56 AM
Post #16

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

The one I run has an 8 X 8 grid for AFR. RPM vs MAP

Dave
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 21 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #17

914 Freak!

QUOTE (airsix @ Apr 21 2005, 09:25 AM)
Dave,
I think you missunderstood my question (I wasn't very clear). What I'm currious about is with regard to the Megasquirt. Can you set multiple A/F targets based on manifold pressure, or are you limited to setting a single A/F target?

-Ben M.

Ben,

I was just playing with my Link software, it looks like I can only set the A/F for a global setting and not just one zone...can you setup for multiple ranges??
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Apr 21 2005, 11:31 AM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I can also vouch that the type IV in reasonable tune does NOT kill wideband O2 sensors. I have had one on my car for over a year now, it still works great.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Apr 21 2005, 11:32 AM
Post #19

Not another one!

QUOTE (DNHunt @ Apr 21 2005, 08:56 AM)
The one I run has an 8 X 8 grid for AFR. RPM vs MAP

Dave

So, yes. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

You can set it up so for a given MAP and a given engine speed, you want an AFR of X. Thus, you can easily set it to run leaner in the usual "cruising" range (mid revs, low MAP) and richer in the usual "more power, scotty!" range (high MAP, all revs). Of course, this is also exactly what the VE table does, too, so this is somewhat redundant. You could set all of this up statically with no O2 sensor at all. As Dave hints, the problem with relying on the O2 sensor for real-time is that it lags a bit when you're changing things rapidly (stomping on the gas). Using the O2 code to *create* an initial map for you by setting it up and driving around carefully, however, can be a great time saver. MS has done this for quite some time, but only until the WB stuff became available has it been possible to do this reliably off 14.7:1.

Nice to hear the LSU can survive an aging Type IV, too. Happy to be wrong about that one.
+Quote Post
airsix
post Apr 21 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #20

Trying to respond to multiple comments in a single post...

1) Mike, my ECU does not have ANY input for an O2 sensor. I hold the laptop in one hand and the LM1 in the other. I am the only link between them. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) Having the data-logger on the LM1 has been a HUGE help.

2) lapuwali said "this is also exactly what the VE table does, too, so this is somewhat redundant". Well, sort of. It's only redundant if you have a good VE table. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) The VE table is only as good as the guy doing the tuning (or his available resources). I like the idea of using the wideband O2 hooked up to the ECU and using the software to BUILD a VE table for you (or at least get you close).

3) "Nice to hear the LSU can survive an aging Type IV, too. Happy to be wrong about that one." Well, I wouldn't draw that conclusion yet. Two of us have said we've been running one for a year. So we know they will last a year. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

-Ben M.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 04:58 AM