Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Replace fuses and clean the contacts!
914ltd
post Jan 20 2016, 11:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 581
Region Association: None

Corrosion attacks more than the bodies of our beloved 914's (as well as many other European cars of a certain age)

Attached is a couple photos of a destroyed relay board caused by not replacing fuses and maintaining the fuse clips. The fuse board in the interior is subject to the same fate. As far as the frequency to replace fuses, I believe it mostly depends on how and where the car is operated and stored but certainly all cars need, at least, the fuses rotated in the holding clips regularly.

Keep the covers on, replacement interior fuse board covers can be found at 356devotion.com Clean the contacts with sandpaper or a Scotch brite pad, a VERY lite coat of dielectric grease (rotate the fuses after installing) and slightly bend the lower clip to maintain proper pressure.

I honestly believe there would be no need to "update" the fuse board if the above instructions were adhered to. Brad

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 20 2016, 12:12 PM
Post #2

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Great advice!

When I lived near the beach in Huntington Beach & my 914 was my DD, I had to do this about every 6 months due to the salt air.

Something like Wurth Contact Oel spray or similar is also a good treatment after cleaning to preserve the contacts.

Thanx Brad! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
913B
post Jan 20 2016, 08:04 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

nice tip, bookmarked for my to do list (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 05:25 PM