Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need carpet
johnpierre
post Jan 22 2016, 11:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,913
Region Association: Southern California

Hey everyone

It is time to dedicate some attention to my, well, you already know don't you. I am looking to replace the original (yes original) carpet. I have been looking on Ebay and can't really tell what the quality is like of the kits that are available. I found one for 75.00 but the seller gave it a 5 out of 10.

There is a supplier in OC califormia that I have spoken to that restores everything porsche and they have the original wool loop kit in original colors but that kit was over 500.00

Does anyone have a recommendation? I want to spend about 150.00 for a charcoal grey or black kit that will fit properly and look not like a crappy after market product until I can afford the real deal.

Any thoughts?

thx -jp-

ps I have a 73 1.7 fuel injected model
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ndfrigi
post Jan 22 2016, 11:32 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,474

914rubber.com
+Quote Post
Jett
post Jan 22 2016, 12:39 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 17,686
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Bought a black German loop set last week from 914Rubber...and another plaid seat set (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif).
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 22 2016, 01:54 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

Three other additional sources to check -

Autos International in Vista

World Upholstery in Camarillo or Ventura area

Lakewell.com in Europe (Belgium IIRC) (IIRC your price will be less their VAT)

All 3 have 914 kits & some may offer in a lower cost domestic loop pile, but be warned....

FYI - if you get a lower priced domestic materials set, then you'll probably be replacing it within a year or 3 due to wear if you DD or drive it a lot, so the more long term solution will cost a bit more - but less than new kits every few years .... even for a 73 1.7!

Good Luck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 22 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #5

TMI....

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jan 22 2016, 09:30 AM) *

There is a supplier in OC califormia that I have spoken to that restores everything porsche and they have the original wool loop kit in original colors but that kit was over 500.00

Who was that in OC??

Recheck on that, cuz it may have been the 356/911/912 square loop or square weave wool that wasn't used on the 914s, but some folks do resto's with it. The German material loop pile 914 kit was around the $175-250-ish range at most vendors, & IIRC it's a synthetic even on the OE/NOS ones - not wool.

I don't know what material 914rubber is using, so ask Mark W/Mikey914 on here (owner).

PS - if you're not in a hurry, you can wait til the Porsche Swap Meet in March at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim & meet AI & others in person there for pricing & ordering .... as well as a bunch of other Porsche goodies & display cars!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 22 2016, 03:46 PM
Post #6

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

I use German imported square weave ans well as the salt and pepper style most like the OEM. With that being said the domestic I'm currently using for the black is pretty high quality, and bang for the buck the best value. I
I'll post some pics of it compared to the German, I think you will see what I'm saying.

Also, no one else does the passenger and drivers floor mat grommets that you WILL need to hold these in place, unless you want to use velcro or glue down.

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 22 2016, 04:02 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Jan 22 2016, 12:32 PM) *

914rubber.com

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
Unlike the other suggested vendors, 914rubber - aka mikey914 - supports the 914world members 1000 percent
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 22 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #8

TMI....

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 22 2016, 01:46 PM) *

I use German imported square weave ans well as the salt and pepper style most like the OEM. With that being said the domestic I'm currently using for the black is pretty high quality, and bang for the buck the best value. I
I'll post some pics of it compared to the German, I think you will see what I'm saying.

Also, no one else does the passenger and drivers floor mat grommets that you WILL need to hold these in place, unless you want to use velcro or glue down.

Thanx Mark!

Last I saw Lakewell was still producing them with the grommets - which they call "Buttons" in their write-up at the link below, & for those looking for the factory "Loop Pile" Appearance Group optional carpet - they call it "Velour" (as Porsche did back in the day).

See here:
http://www.lakewell.com/en/porsche/914/ful...rsche-914-69-76

I think that AI will do the grommets if requested, but they may be using Mark's/914Rubber's grommets to do so.

For the record - Mark/914Rubber does great service to the 914 community with all of his otherwise NLA parts, & he supports 914world, & I too have many of his repro parts (incl. F&R bumper top pads) & will undoubtedly get more from 914Rubber for my resto.

In my post above, I did say: "In addition to 914Rubber...."

So my providing options to members on here is no negative reflection on Mark's carpets - I've not seen them in anyone's car yet, nor do I have any feedback on durability.

To be clear, the domestic carpets wearing out fast to which I was referring were by real 914 users & bought from AI, WU & several other sources as their domestic "budget minded" options.

Lakewell, Autos Int'l. (AI), & World Upholstery (WU) have all been recco'd by many members on here & others in the Porsche community from decades before Mark started his production of carpet sets. They do great & CW worthy upholstery work & kits too.

I believe folks here & anywhere should have choices, be able to explore & compare them, then pick what they feel fits their needs best - & not be pressured to buy from any particular vendor - whether a member or not (to clarify re. Epstein's comment above). I always supply choices where I can when offering help on here.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jan 22 2016, 06:22 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I was super happy with the Perlon set I bought on eBay from AppBiz. Bob is a great guy, and the stuff is indestructible.

It is more of a "race" look, but that is what I was looking for.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jan 22 2016, 07:22 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Love those hub caps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 22 2016, 08:15 PM
Post #11

TMI....

Hey Elliot - do you mean, like these ones Pete Brock used on his latest lightweight aerodynamic car hauler? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Scree...de=car_trailers

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Attached Image

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jan 22 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jan 22 2016, 07:22 PM) *

I was super happy with the Perlon set I bought on eBay from AppBiz. Bob is a great guy, and the stuff is indestructible.

It is more of a "race" look, but that is what I was looking for.

We just bought a half dozen 911 carpet kits from appbiz. They have a great product. I bought my 914 perlon kit from Mikey. Looks great.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 22 2016, 11:34 PM
Post #13

The rubber man

No worries,
Just to let you know I will be bringing a few to WCR this year, so if your like Larmo, by $100 worth of tickets and take home 2K worth of stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Jan 22 2016, 11:47 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 22 2016, 12:00 PM) *

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jan 22 2016, 09:30 AM) *

Who was that in OC??

Recheck on that, cuz it may have been the 356/911/912 square loop or square weave wool that wasn't used on the 914s, but some folks do resto's with it. The German material loop pile 914 kit was around the $175-250-ish range at most vendors, & IIRC it's a synthetic even on the OE/NOS ones - not wool.

I don't know what material 914rubber is using, so ask Mark W/Mikey914 on here (owner).

PS - if you're not in a hurry, you can wait til the Porsche Swap Meet in March at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim & meet AI & others in person there for pricing & ordering .... as well as a bunch of other Porsche goodies & display cars!

Tom
///////

hey Tom
the source in OC was called Auto International and if I remember the conversation correctly they said the material they use is exactly the same as the original, not necessarily NOS.

I don't want to wait, waited way too long already...
-jp-
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Jan 22 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #15

Hey everyone

Thanks for tall the great and imformative advice, seems there is no shortage of choices and I most fit my budget. I will be decideding in the next few days and when my interiour is completely overhauld I will take some picks for y'all. I plan on completely re-doing it verything that is cracked, faded, sun-bent or just plain worn out.

-jp-
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Jan 23 2016, 12:01 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jan 22 2016, 01:46 PM) *

you are Mr. 914 rubber presumably??? just checked out the site for like a straight 2 hours digging around, very nice, very very nice indeed.

-jp-
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jan 23 2016, 01:10 AM
Post #17

The rubber man

Yes I am. Sorry I haven't put the picture up yet, I have been busy finishing up the air vents today and forgot.
It is a very high quality domestic (black one). The density is not as high as the German, but for a lot less you can get a very good quality material. Unfortunately, the charcoal loop material is not as good, but still not too bad.

-Mark
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 23 2016, 02:06 PM
Post #18

TMI....

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jan 22 2016, 09:47 PM) *

hey Tom
the source in OC was called Auto International and if I remember the conversation correctly they said the material they use is exactly the same as the original, not necessarily NOS.

-jp-

JP -

They're actually in north San Diego County - not OC - Escondido to be specific, if it was these guys -

http://www.autosintl.net/

<snipped>
914 1972-76
Domestic carpet $265.00
German Perlon $293.00
German Velour $523.00
<end snip>

At their now jacked up pricing, the Lakewell German Velour at 240.00 Euros ($259.16 at current exchange rate) is by far the better deal! I'm amazed at how much AI has gone up in the past 2-3-4 years!

However, maybe Mark/914Rubber can do the German Velour for you at a comparable price?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That is, unless you're on a tight budget, then go domestic & maybe get some Coco Mats on top to keep the wear down with a period correct look! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Jan 24 2016, 03:25 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 23 2016, 12:06 PM) *

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jan 22 2016, 09:47 PM) *

hey Tom

-jp-

JP -

They're actually in north San Diego County - not OC - Escondido to be specific, if it was these guys -

http://www.autosintl.net/

<snipped>
914 1972-76

Domestic carpet $265.00
German Perlon $293.00
German Velour $523.00
<end snip>

At their now jacked up pricing, the Lakewell German Velour at 240.00 Euros ($259.16 at current exchange rate) is by far the better deal! I'm amazed at how much AI has gone up in the past 2-3-4 years!

However, maybe Mark/914Rubber can do the German Velour for you at a comparable price?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That is, unless you're on a tight budget, then go domestic & maybe get some Coco Mats on top to keep the wear down with a period correct look! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Tom
///////

Tom
wow your really know your stuff... thanks for all the info really will make this very easy for me. if ever in la, culver city let me buy you a beer... ;-)

-jp-
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 25 2016, 11:59 AM
Post #20

TMI....

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Jan 24 2016, 01:25 PM) *

Tom
wow your really know your stuff... thanks for all the info really will make this very easy for me. if ever in la, culver city let me buy you a beer... ;-)

-jp-

JP - no prob! Always glad to help.

Also, just bring your by then all prettied-up 914 & put her on display at the PCA LA Region Concours at the Santa Monica Museum of Flight in July (I'll be judging there) & enjoy Porsches & Planes while others enjoy gawking at your 914.

You could also enter your 914 in the easier Wash & Shine division where only the exterior & interior is judged, since we now have a separate class for 914s in W&S, so newbies & occasional entrants with DDs can more easily compete in this "cleaning & prep contest" without fighting the 911 crowd for hardware/ribbons! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

IIRC lunch is included for Display & Concours entrants, & last year it was a really good BBQ spread! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Do check with Mark/Mikey914 by PM or email on here to see if his 9124Rubber can make you up a "German Velour" (loop pile) carpet set - if that's what you're looking for, or for his or go to one of the other German or Domestic etc. options out there.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:19 AM