Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need carpet
Mike Fitton
post Feb 12 2016, 02:08 PM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,069
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Here are my mats from Lloyd's called Tru-Berber. They come in different colors here:

http://truberber.com/

Attached Image

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Feb 12 2016, 02:28 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 14,913
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Feb 12 2016, 12:08 PM) *

Here are my mats from Lloyd's called Tru-Berber. They come in different colors here:

Attached Image

nice and i love the inset on the seat with the black and white pattern....
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #43

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 12 2016, 12:03 PM) *

BTW

I just ordered a new red handle for the heater lever and have new PRESS red stickers that I purchased from a member to replace the faded ones on the seat belt clicky things.

next on my list is a new wood steering wheel from Nardi and then a new dash.

after which the seats, door panels, and back bad by summer...

then next year suspension and engine redo... goto get this baby in shape....

-jp-

jp -

Stoddards sells a new 914 dash repro which is excellent for about $800.

Unless you really drool for a wood steering wheel, you might consider having Dallas Steering Wheel (DSW) or the guy who comes to the Porsche Swap Meet at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim in March do a leather recovering - with the extra layer of felt padding under it if you prefer a softer grip &/or thinker rim - on either your current aftermarket 3-spoke or another OE 4-spoke wheel with butterfly horn pad or puck). [I prefer the grip & feel of leather myself]

Autos International in Escondido or World Upholstery in Ventura & Lakewell.com in Belgium all sell 914 upholstery kits in the smooth beige/tan leatherette (only Lakewell has the tan basketweave) - but not sure which also does the corduroy inserts like yours. I suggest get them all to send you samples now, so you can choose which you prefer.

If you're not confident in doing your own reupholstery, then AI & WU does top quality interiors, but a local upholstery shop which does classic sports cars & rods can probably do them for you too, if you want to just order the bulk fabric or kits. Not sure who is near you in Culver City, but I know a couple of shops in HB that I'd trust with interior work. If you need new foam, then AI or WU may be easier, but their prices are way up there too.

I had my OE Recaro front seats in my 85 BMW 325e 2dr coupe redone in in smooth & perforated/patterned-insert Perl Biege vinyl in 2014 by one of the HB shops & it was about $1200 including redoing the leather steering wheel & rebuilding the operable seats/backs/seat-shocks (it has a back seat, unlike a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). It's seats are more complex, required custom stamping of the detail in the inserts, & probably had more material - than a 914 seat

So the price may be less for your 914 & they may have a match for the vinyl & corduroy at such local shops too, bit then you have to add in more for the backpad, center cushion & door panels to get it to match. AFAIK Lakwewell is the only one that still has the 914 Beige in the 70-74 (excl 71) Basketweave for all door & some seat inserts, so I bought both smooth & basketweave yardage from them so that both would match, sufficient to do it all by a local shop or AI at some point (email them for yards needed).

Suspension - IMHO Koni Reds or Bilstein R shocks & F strut inserts, & the poly street bushings all around - unless you plan to race or AX with it, cuz their race bushings are harder & rough riding on the street for DD/pleasure use. Ditto if you need springs or torsion bars - stick with stock lbs. (0 lbs for a 73 1.& IIRC & definitely for a 2L) - unless you're racing/AXing - then you'll ride rougher on street use.

The better idea to improve handling on a 1.7 without the anti-sway bars is to add a used set of the OE ones or new Elephant sway bar kits F & R. If you do tie-rodss, then stick with either the stock or Trubo-tie-rod upgrade from Lemforder only - don't waste you money on the knock offs - they're built cheap too! Don't forget fresh wheel bearings (SWF or other German OEMs only) + brake lines & Porterfield R4S brake pads from PMB.

Engine - Do a bunch of research first on what you want out of the rebuild, & check out the 1911cc upbuilds, & what places like FAT Performance here in Orange does with Type IV motors. I don't know how much Raby has on his website, nor if someone like McMark at Original Customs can build a 2056 from your 1.7 - soo check around alot. A tried & true set-up is better than guessing at what might work, so poll others with 1.7s on here too.

I know other VW & 914 folks who like Der Buggy in Garden Grove, but AASE in Fullerton & Bill Brewster's shop in So. OC are top aircooled Porsche shops. Others may recco some up in LA closer to you, & OTTOs in Venice used to be good, but he passed away & I don't know how good the new guys are. I'd recco my 914 guy of 40+ years Hans, but he won't take any new customers with aircooled cars - only us old customers that still have them.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 03:13 PM
Post #44

TMI....

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 12 2016, 12:06 PM) *

NICE! - Looks like you have a start on the Riviera repops on the LF wheel jp! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My 73 2L was originally L80E Light Ivory (white), so mine will look similar to yours when completed, & probably with the black positive "PORSCHE' script side stipes too, except with the Fuchs 2L alloys which would've originally been on mine. The OO/P+A-selling dealer had changed them to Riveras before I bought it - so I'm recreating it back to OE look, but will probably keep my Rivs for street tires for whenever I just want to drive it with other tires than the period 165HR15's which will be on the Fuchs.

Have fun & bring it out to some of the local SoCal PCA events & car shows!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 03:33 PM
Post #45

TMI....

QUOTE(ndfrigi @ Feb 10 2016, 01:14 PM) *

i bought my used floor mat from a member (Current car of the month) and I like them with PORSCHE letter.

Llyods also makes Plush mats with the embroidery in both Ultra & Luxe, as well as these Berber ones - so look at their main website for all of their choices of colors & Logos & embroidery colors.

They're all shown at this link:

http://lloydmats.com/porsche-licensed-cust...ogo-floor-mats/
http://lloydmats.com/

And the Coco Mats from just below this original post on the Berbers above with this pic -

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-14725-1455147167_thumb.jpg)

- can be found in a variety of materials & colors too at this link:

http://www.cocomats.com/

You should order samples from all of them in the colors you're considering, so you can both see the actual colors - as well as feel the textures of all types. Maybe you;ll want both Coco or Sisal & Plush or Berber or ?? after you see/feel them in person.

If you or others want new mats from cocomats.com, then there was a 15% discount at our recent Jan. 2016 PCA Zone 8 Concours in Warner Center/Woodland Hills from CoCo Mats good to 2/16/16 - code: Z8CDE16 - good thru next Tuesday. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)

Keep an eye out for the Lloyds Porsche mats vendors for sales/discounts on those too. Sierra Madre Collection in Pasadena has a 10% sale right now up to the Porsche Lit/Swap in early March, but I don't know if they sell Lloyd mats &/or if it covers them on the sale's 10% discount - so go to their website from their link on here at top or bottom.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 03:47 PM
Post #46

TMI....

Attached Image

Nice Mike! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Those are also listed at the Lloyd link for the Porsche mats, along with their plush ones.

jp - his seat inserts' material is called Houndstooth - & was used on 60's 911/912 & 356 - & although not used on 914s from the factory (except maybe by special order &/or on 914-6 by order) - it's seen on a few 914 restos around SoCal. AI should have samples of it in pix on their website, & they had a pair of 914 seats on display a few years ago at that Phoenix Club/Anaheim Porsche Swap Meet that I mentioned. IMHO it looks best in black interiors.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Feb 12 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #47

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

BTW

I just ordered a new red handle for the heater lever and have new PRESS red stickers that I purchased from a member to replace the faded ones on the seat belt clicky things.

-jp-

Hi JP,
Who did you get the PRESS stickers from? I remember seeing them a while back but could not find them recently.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 06:41 PM
Post #48

TMI....

Ken -

I got some from vendors over on TheSamba.com a while back.

IIRC there were some on evil-bay as well.

Also, maybe some of the VW Resto shops like ISP-West here in SoCal & others, since it's a VW item too.

JP can give you his source too.

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 06:42 PM
Post #49

TMI....

Ooops! Duplicate post! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 12 2016, 07:59 PM
Post #50

TMI....

jp -

In case you missed this where I added it to my prior post on pg. 2 .....

.... since it's worth the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) factor

....... & I'm really NOT a green car guy either!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/pictures.abebooks.com-10181-1455328755.1.jpg)

It's a great 914 book too BTW!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Feb 13 2016, 11:32 AM
Post #51

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 12 2016, 01:04 PM) *

BTW

-jp-

jp -

Stoddards sells a new 914 dash repro which is excellent for about $800.

Unless you really drool for a wood steering wheel, you might consider having Dallas Steering Wheel (DSW) or the guy who comes to the Porsche Swap Meet at the Phoenix Club in Anaheim in March do a leather recovering - with the extra layer of felt padding under it if you prefer a softer grip &/or thinker rim - on either your current aftermarket 3-spoke or another OE 4-spoke wheel with butterfly horn pad or puck). [I prefer the grip & feel of leather myself]

Autos International in Escondido or World Upholstery in Ventura & Lakewell.com in Belgium all sell 914 upholstery kits in the smooth beige/tan leatherette (only Lakewell has the tan basketweave) - but not sure which also does the corduroy inserts like yours. I suggest get them all to send you samples now, so you can choose which you prefer.

If you're not confident in doing your own reupholstery, then AI & WU does top quality interiors, but a local upholstery shop which does classic sports cars & rods can probably do them for you too, if you want to just order the bulk fabric or kits. Not sure who is near you in Culver City, but I know a couple of shops in HB that I'd trust with interior work. If you need new foam, then AI or WU may be easier, but their prices are way up there too.

I had my OE Recaro front seats in my 85 BMW 325e 2dr coupe redone in in smooth & perforated/patterned-insert Perl Biege vinyl in 2014 by one of the HB shops & it was about $1200 including redoing the leather steering wheel & rebuilding the operable seats/backs/seat-shocks (it has a back seat, unlike a 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). It's seats are more complex, required custom stamping of the detail in the inserts, & probably had more material - than a 914 seat

So the price may be less for your 914 & they may have a match for the vinyl & corduroy at such local shops too, bit then you have to add in more for the backpad, center cushion & door panels to get it to match. AFAIK Lakwewell is the only one that still has the 914 Beige in the 70-74 (excl 71) Basketweave for all door & some seat inserts, so I bought both smooth & basketweave yardage from them so that both would match, sufficient to do it all by a local shop or AI at some point (email them for yards needed).

Suspension - IMHO Koni Reds or Bilstein R shocks & F strut inserts, & the poly street bushings all around - unless you plan to race or AX with it, cuz their race bushings are harder & rough riding on the street for DD/pleasure use. Ditto if you need springs or torsion bars - stick with stock lbs. (0 lbs for a 73 1.& IIRC & definitely for a 2L) - unless you're racing/AXing - then you'll ride rougher on street use.

The better idea to improve handling on a 1.7 without the anti-sway bars is to add a used set of the OE ones or new Elephant sway bar kits F & R. If you do tie-rodss, then stick with either the stock or Trubo-tie-rod upgrade from Lemforder only - don't waste you money on the knock offs - they're built cheap too! Don't forget fresh wheel bearings (SWF or other German OEMs only) + brake lines & Porterfield R4S brake pads from PMB.

Engine - Do a bunch of research first on what you want out of the rebuild, & check out the 1911cc upbuilds, & what places like FAT Performance here in Orange does with Type IV motors. I don't know how much Raby has on his website, nor if someone like McMark at Original Customs can build a 2056 from your 1.7 - soo check around alot. A tried & true set-up is better than guessing at what might work, so poll others with 1.7s on here too.

I know other VW & 914 folks who like Der Buggy in Garden Grove, but AASE in Fullerton & Bill Brewster's shop in So. OC are top aircooled Porsche shops. Others may recco some up in LA closer to you, & OTTOs in Venice used to be good, but he passed away & I don't know how good the new guys are. I'd recco my 914 guy of 40+ years Hans, but he won't take any new customers with aircooled cars - only us old customers that still have them.

Tom
///////

hey Tom
I saw the dash that you are speaking of, but that is just a bit too much. will be purchasing the less expensive one from 914rubber... and a bevy of other items as well, really appreciate you all turning me on this vendor.

in regards to the other points that you have laid out; seats and suspension and engine, such valuable info this thread is becoming my new best friend. ;-)
-jp-

ps attaching the thresholds today... pics to follow...
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Feb 13 2016, 11:40 AM
Post #52

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Feb 12 2016, 03:50 PM) *

BTW

-jp-

Hi JP,
Who did you get the PRESS stickers from? I remember seeing them a while back but could not find them recently.

hey Ken

I can't remember exactly who it was but maybe this will help

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Feb 13 2016, 11:46 AM
Post #53

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 12 2016, 01:47 PM) *

Attached Image

Nice Mike! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Those are also listed at the Lloyd link for the Porsche mats, along with their plush ones.

jp - his seat inserts' material is called Houndstooth - & was used on 60's 911/912 & 356 - & although not used on 914s from the factory (except maybe by special order &/or on 914-6 by order) - it's seen on a few 914 restos around SoCal. AI should have samples of it in pix on their website, & they had a pair of 914 seats on display a few years ago at that Phoenix Club/Anaheim Porsche Swap Meet that I mentioned. IMHO it looks best in black interiors.

Tom
///////

Tom
those are very cool, but I am going to just have the seats redone in the way they are right now but in a black and grey combination... although I do really like the colored plaid seats that i see sometimes went the color of the car is orange or green or some other earth tone from that era.
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Feb 13 2016, 12:08 PM
Post #54

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 12 2016, 01:13 PM) *

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 12 2016, 12:06 PM) *

NICE! - Looks like you have a start on the Riviera repops on the LF wheel jp! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My 73 2L was originally L80E Light Ivory (white), so mine will look similar to yours when completed, & probably with the black positive "PORSCHE' script side stipes too, except with the Fuchs 2L alloys which would've originally been on mine. The OO/P+A-selling dealer had changed them to Riveras before I bought it - so I'm recreating it back to OE look, but will probably keep my Rivs for street tires for whenever I just want to drive it with other tires than the period 165HR15's which will be on the Fuchs.

Have fun & bring it out to some of the local SoCal PCA events & car shows!

Tom
///////

I know I will offend some of the peeps here but I an not a big fan of the Riviera's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) ironically because my last name is Rivera. lol. I just don't like the way they look. I bought the moons to jazz up the car a bit. SoCal style. but this is just temporary. until I can afford the tried and true Fucs (911 versions not the 914 ones) or maybe some other more contemporary version of a sport wheel - I see wheels all the time that i like but notice that they are five bolt which it looks like i will have to change to at some point - in the biggest sizes that the car will accommodate.

This pic is a bit old I painted the front wheels black to see how it looked, I like it more way and that is how it has been for a while.

Now I am about to have all the paint stripped off the fronts and so they match the moons in the back. anyone know where I can take the wheels to have them stripped and sealed around the culver city area???
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Feb 13 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #55

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 12 2016, 05:59 PM) *

jp -

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/pictures.abebooks.com-10181-1455328755.1.jpg)

Tom
///////

I just looked up this book, it is 100 bucks crap, going to have to wait on this one...
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 13 2016, 12:26 PM
Post #56

TMI....

QUOTE(johnpierre @ Feb 13 2016, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Feb 12 2016, 05:59 PM) *

jp -

Tom
///////

I just looked up this book, it is 100 bucks crap, going to have to wait on this one...

JP -

I paid about $40 for the softcover about 3-4 years ago from Amazon, so they must be raping people on the prices because it's in between printings.

Just keep an eye out for it to go on sale, for a nice used one, or whenever they release a new printing.

IMHO $100+/- is piracy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

PS - This is another one to look for, which has reprints of most/many of the English "back-in-the-day" articles from all the car magazines from the USA?Can, UK, OZ, etc. - including the MT & R&T road tests etc. - albeit in black & white, not color.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/ecx.images-amazon.com-10181-1455388321.1.jpg)

PSS - Re: wheels - everyone has their own tastes. My Rivs were on the car from the OO/dealer & were an easy & cost effective way to get the 5-spoke look of the Fuchs 5-lug 911/912/914-6 wheels on a 4-lug wheel that bolted right up. The real 5-spoke Fuchs are still super expensive + require either 4-to-5-lug adapters, or drilling your hubs for 5-studs, or a full 911/912 5-lug conversion at even more money.

Did you get your "full moons" or "full dish" from Hubcap Mike here in Orange? If not, he's online & does all sorts of classic & hot rod caps, + for trailers (our Avion has 57 Plymouth cone-full-wheel-covers/caps as used on it back in 1960 from him).

Some like the classic 8-spoke 4-lugs like these which are available from Empi, Enkei, Revolution, etc. in the pic below, & often seen on all sorts of 60's & 70's sports cars & racers & VWs & come in silver, dark grey, black, 2-tone, etc. ....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.revolutionwheels.com-10181-1455389173.1.jpg)

https://www.google.com/search?q=8+spoke+cla...KHYXfDFEQsAQIGw

Tom
///////
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Feb 14 2016, 12:40 PM
Post #57

hey Mark

I need the rubber seal for the doors on my 73. Is the inner door seal set for 34.00 on the 914rubber site the right one? Below is the part I am looking for - I sent you a PM as well..

-jp-

ps do i need glue or an adhesive to install it new door rubber? if so do you sell it?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Feb 14 2016, 12:56 PM
Post #58

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

Those are the inner door seals on the pinch weld at the body. The outer door seals I make are a solid neoprene, and install by stretching the rubber to reduce the thickness. You can then push the rubber into the track, as it expands when the tension is released. No glue needed. They are solid, so unlike the OEM and other aftermarket seals (made from sponge rubber), they will not hold water in the seal up against the metal in the track. This is a major cause of rust in the door tracks.

The only unfortunate issue is that I'm currently back ordered, and it will probably be 3-4 weeks before I can have them back in stock.
I think you will find these worth the wait in that they make an excellent seal. I think these alone without the inner door seal are more than adequate to seal out air, but still recommend both.

Thanks,
Mark
+Quote Post
johnpierre
post Feb 14 2016, 01:23 PM
Post #59

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 14 2016, 10:56 AM) *

Those are the inner door seals on the pinch weld at the body. The outer door seals I make are a solid neoprene, and install by stretching the rubber to reduce the thickness. You can then push the rubber into the track, as it expands when the tension is released. No glue needed. They are solid, so unlike the OEM and other aftermarket seals (made from sponge rubber), they will not hold water in the seal up against the metal in the track. This is a major cause of rust in the door tracks.

The only unfortunate issue is that I'm currently back ordered, and it will probably be 3-4 weeks before I can have them back in stock.
I think you will find these worth the wait in that they make an excellent seal. I think these alone without the inner door seal are more than adequate to seal out air, but still recommend both.

Thanks,
Mark

copy that. happily since i live in los angeles where even in winter is feels like summer i have the luxury of being able to wait...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
-jp-
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Feb 14 2016, 01:31 PM
Post #60

TMI....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) .... El Nino!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) .... just sayin'!

Hopefully that's an all weather cover - possible rain late this week JP!

Anyway, do the backorder on Mar's site & keep it dry til he gets more out!

Tom
///////
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:50 PM