Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to quit smoking, There is 914 content
KELTY360
post Jan 25 2016, 08:58 AM
Post #21

914 Neferati

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,344
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Been 29 years for me after 20 years of a couple packs a day...usually Camel straights. Tried many times but always ended up buying another pack somewhere. What finally worked for me was sucking air!

I'd noticed that every time I quit I'd always be waiting for that time when the urge would finally make me say "what the fuch." I decided I had to deal with it one urge at a time. Every time I'd feel the urge to take a drag I'd suck in some air, using the same muscle motion as I would to smoke. That would remove the urge for a time. At first, I was sucking air often. It became a habit just like smoking but over time the intervals between urges became longer and longer. After a while, sucking in air became a surprise because it hadn't happened for weeks, or even months.

That urge never happens now and watching someone smoke just reinforces how glad I am that it's not me. Good luck to everyone who is quitting and those who are working up to it. It's worth it!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 25 2016, 09:13 AM
Post #22

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 24 2016, 01:15 PM) *

As a reward to myself for quitting smoking in August, after 30 years, I have $50 a week burning a hole in my pocket. (What the hell was I thinking!)
For the smokers out there you know what I mean, quitting isn't that easy.

It cost me about $10k to quit. In the form of a spare no expense 2 week driving vacation with the family. We drove from our home Victoria BC to California and back. My goal was roller coasters, my daughter wanted to swim with dolphins, my son was all about LEGOLAND and my wife just wanted to sit and watch(relax). Of course we did all the major attractions and Parks along the way.

I have never smoked around my family but they know I did, wasn't a secret. Being with them 24/7 for 17 days didn't leave a lot of time for smokes so I figured it was the best time. Anyone trying to quit I recommend this method. Except for the packing around a gallon of water on my back for 10 hours a day. We weren't used to the 95+ august weather in Cali. San Diego was a nice break and a beautiful city. I was a little jealous. Of course its no Victoria BC, but it'll do, in a pinch. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Here is my reward:
100k 2001 EJ25 with manual trans, about $900 USD
Had the coil pack and head gaskets done in December was running until 2 weeks ago when the owner rolled the Forester it was in.

Unfortunately what I considered to be the "wiring harness and computer" differed from the wrecking yard: See yellow oval, should be workable?

Your alright. 95% of those wires are removed and the remainder are spliced. Besides, all of those wires are colour coded and could be reattached easily. Congrats to all that have quit cigs. Especially you. What the Hell were you thinking being a diabetic? The worst thing for a diabetic. Just 2 more cig comments. 99.5% of the people that try nicotine in ANY form will return to it. 2nd, remember that an ex smoker ALWAYS starts back on cigs the same way. Via a "bummed" cigarette. BTW, after a year the urge is basically dead. Good engine tranny combo. You'll enjoy tha factory ECU, too.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jan 25 2016, 09:32 AM
Post #23

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 25 2016, 06:15 AM) *

Yeah congrats man. That's a huge accomplishment. Nicotine is such an addictive substance but every day that goes by it's hold gets weaker. At this point you WIN!!! Just don't say "I can have ONE....I can control myself..." because you'll be right back on the horse. If you've made it this far you can definitely do it. Don't you feel GREAT?????

Do an online search for the shop manual for the vehicle that engine came out of and you should find the factory one somewhere for free. PM me if you don't find it. They have the wiring diagrams you need.

BTW the Subie trans IS amazingly long...until you take the center diff off. Then it's almost as short as the 901.

EDIT: And the Center Diff is worth about $250 on NASIOC BTW (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) . So...now you're under $10k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .

Oh I understand that, but my point is in comparison to the Quattro transmission its just insane.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/imagecdn2.panjo.com-172-1453735967.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 25 2016, 10:17 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah it's big and beefy, and yet somehow the tuners find a way to blow a lot of them up. It's the AWD that does it, making the trans the weak point (center diff is particularly vulnerable).

The one that amazed me was the 4EAT Subaru AWD auto. That sucker has to weigh almost 300 lbs. It was HUGE. I COULD NOT lift it. Even the FWD has to be 250ish.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 25 2016, 10:51 AM
Post #25

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 25 2016, 11:17 AM) *

Yeah it's big and beefy, and yet somehow the tuners find a way to blow a lot of them up. It's the AWD that does it, making the trans the weak point (center diff is particularly vulnerable).

The one that amazed me was the 4EAT Subaru AWD auto. That sucker has to weigh almost 300 lbs. It was HUGE. I COULD NOT lift it. Even the FWD has to be 250ish.

Reminds me of a time, back in the day, I had to change the clutch on an f150.
I was strong, but stupid.
Took the whole tranny and transfer case out at once, on my back, no Jack.
It was heavy...pinned me to the floor, all alone in the shop, hundreds of feet from anyone, no phone...

Obviously I got out...I rolled out from under it and spent the rest of the day tracking down a tranny Jack to put it back in....

+Quote Post
cwpeden
post Jan 25 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #26

Great White North, huh?

Member No.: 6,693
Region Association: Canada

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I have found motivation that i didnt have before. My shop had turned into the smoking lounge and stank after coming back to it. Even welding couldnt over power the smell.

76-914 - I know, i was already 20 yrs into my sentence when I diagnosed with type 1. Just took 10 yrs to save up for the vacation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) The nurses at emergency room where i ended up told me smoking diabetics are #1 for heart disease.

I tell you one thing that surprised me and almost turned me back to the dark side. Disneyland has a smoking area! And i was standing in line for Splash Mountain right beside it for what seemed like an hour. I ended up hating those people. LOL
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Jan 25 2016, 04:11 PM
Post #27

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

Not being an asshole as I've BTDT, but....

$50/wk X 52 = $2600. yr X 10 = $26000, decade X 2 = $52000 20/yrs

$10/day X 365 = $3650.yr X10 = $36500 decade X 2 = $73000 20/yrs

Now that you quit how much a day are you spending on gum? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 25 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #28

Custom Member

wait,
I have discovered a whole new benefit to my choice of how I am quitting, by going to a gym.

YOGA PANTS....

Yes, I am a bored old guy but i look forward to seeing nicely filled out yoga pants very much to keep me on the machine just a bit longer...
+Quote Post
flmont
post Jan 25 2016, 08:58 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

I quit 23 yrs ago,..by smoking stale pall mall's (non filterd of course),.I would go as long as possible then smoke one real fast , they made me sick,..and after a week of that,I couldn't stand them anymore..!!!
+Quote Post
cwpeden
post Jan 25 2016, 11:58 PM
Post #30

Great White North, huh?

Member No.: 6,693

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 25 2016, 02:11 PM) *

Not being an asshole as I've BTDT, but....

$50/wk X 52 = $2600. yr X 10 = $26000, decade X 2 = $52000 20/yrs

$10/day X 365 = $3650.yr X10 = $36500 decade X 2 = $73000 20/yrs

Now that you quit how much a day are you spending on gum? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I know, really! I don't chew gum cause my breath don't stink no more.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 25 2016, 06:21 PM) *

wait,
I have discovered a whole new benefit to my choice of how I am quitting, by going to a gym.

YOGA PANTS....

Yes, I am a bored old guy but i look forward to seeing nicely filled out yoga pants very much to keep me on the machine just a bit longer...

Why? Would getting off the machine lead to embarrassment? is there a pitching tent emoticon?
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jan 26 2016, 12:31 AM
Post #31

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

I quit smoking when I was 9 years old (1955). My Father helped me quit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 26 2016, 10:34 AM
Post #32

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Do not think you can have JUST one when you are around other smokers. I had been done with them for 2 years and gave in for just one. Then again, and again, and first thing you know you're burning $10 bills.
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 26 2016, 10:42 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 26 2016, 12:31 AM) *

I quit smoking when I was 9 years old (1955). My Father helped me quit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

A trip to the wood shed ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spank.gif)

Or was it, "You like smoking cigarettes do you? Have a seat...you're smoking the rest of that pack right now...without stopping... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) "
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Jan 26 2016, 12:55 PM
Post #34

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 26 2016, 08:42 AM) *

Or was it, "You like smoking cigarettes do you? Have a seat...you're smoking the rest of that pack right now...without stopping... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) "

More like the former. I never forgot the hypocrisy though. My Father smoked un-filtered Camels for over 35 years and had his first heart attack at 57 and died of another one ten years later. To be fair though, in those days whenever you saw the cover of a medical journal, there was quite often a photo on the cover of a doctor in as white smock with a mirror on his head and a cigarette between his fingers. It was a deadly triad. Hypocrisy, ignorance and greed.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 26 2016, 01:00 PM
Post #35

As a child my FP doctor smoked in the exam room and his office. One right after another. Those days there were ashtrays in his waiting room too. But to be fair people smoked everywhere.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 26 2016, 01:40 PM
Post #36

Custom Member

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 26 2016, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 26 2016, 08:42 AM) *

More like the former. I never forgot the hypocrisy though. My Father smoked un-filtered Camels for over 35 years and had his first heart attack at 57 and died of another one ten years later. To be fair though, in those days whenever you saw the cover of a medical journal, there was quite often a photo on the cover of a doctor in as white smock with a mirror on his head and a cigarette between his fingers. It was a deadly triad. Hypocrisy, ignorance and greed.

my deadly triad is wife, daughter, grand daughter
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 26 2016, 02:29 PM
Post #37

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 26 2016, 01:00 PM) *

As a child my FP doctor smoked in the exam room and his office. One right after another. Those days there were ashtrays in his waiting room too. But to be fair people smoked everywhere.

Yes they did! I still remember being at Kroger in the early '70's and my Dad (and everyone else) smoking inside the grocery store. I have one of those "mental snapshots" of being in the produce section (!). No ashtrays there, you just stomped the butts out on the tile floor.

You can do it Rich. You'll feel GREAT after just a few days.

cwpeden, did you find the wiring diagrams you need? I can search for you if not. Is it a 2001 Forester?

+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Jan 26 2016, 03:11 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 10,509

You want a quick easy way to quit.?

Walk into a Hospital and watch someone on their deathbed,
gasping for their last breaths. Watch it to the end.

Then picture yourself in that bed with your loved ones
surrounding you, watching you as you die the same way...

If You smoke another cigarette.... You are some stupid..

Sorry if that sounds harsh..... But, I've Seen it more than a few times.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 26 2016, 03:52 PM
Post #39

a lot like driving WAY too fast for the road/conditions. you just know it can go horribly sideways in an instant. permanently. people do it anyways. human nature. dogs and horse touch an electric fence, they learn.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 22 2016, 06:59 PM
Post #40

Custom Member

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 10:03 AM