Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to quit smoking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
cwpeden
As a reward to myself for quitting smoking in August, after 30 years, I have $50 a week burning a hole in my pocket. (What the hell was I thinking!)
For the smokers out there you know what I mean, quitting isn't that easy.

It cost me about $10k to quit. In the form of a spare no expense 2 week driving vacation with the family. We drove from our home Victoria BC to California and back. My goal was roller coasters, my daughter wanted to swim with dolphins, my son was all about LEGOLAND and my wife just wanted to sit and watch(relax). Of course we did all the major attractions and Parks along the way.

I have never smoked around my family but they know I did, wasn't a secret. Being with them 24/7 for 17 days didn't leave a lot of time for smokes so I figured it was the best time. Anyone trying to quit I recommend this method. Except for the packing around a gallon of water on my back for 10 hours a day. We weren't used to the 95+ august weather in Cali. San Diego was a nice break and a beautiful city. I was a little jealous. Of course its no Victoria BC, but it'll do, in a pinch. beerchug.gif

Here is my reward:
100k 2001 EJ25 with manual trans, about $900 USD
Had the coil pack and head gaskets done in December was running until 2 weeks ago when the owner rolled the Forester it was in.
Click to view attachment

Unfortunately what I considered to be the "wiring harness and computer" differed from the wrecking yard: See yellow oval, should be workable?
Click to view attachment

r_towle
Quitting smoking with my family in the car might end up with me in jail.

Good job, I am working up to it now, started going to a gym.....couple of weeks I will stop cold turkey.
cwpeden
You know, that's funny, I was the calm one. My wife was quite surprised.

Don't work up to it! Just do it. I was "working up to it" for 10 yrs.

Of course being Type 1 Diabetic my doc asked if I had any incentive to quit. He asked if seeing my children grow up would suffice?
A&P Mech
Congratulations on quiting!

I put an ej253 in my car and I love it. If you flip the intake manifold you won't have to cut into the trunk. It was really easy to flip. I went with a EMS Stinger ECU from Outfront Motorsports. No regrets! Outfront built my engine wiring harness and it made the install almost plug and play.
Andyrew
Congrats on quitting! My co worker was able to quit with gum, and he has transitioned to regular gum at this point.

My first thought when seeing your engine/trani was "Damn that transmission is long.."
r_towle
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 24 2016, 05:26 PM) *

You know, that's funny, I was the calm one. My wife was quite surprised.

Don't work up to it! Just do it. I was "working up to it" for 10 yrs.

Of course being Type 1 Diabetic my doc asked if I had any incentive to quit. He asked if seeing my children grow up would suffice?

I plan to, just picked a date, and I am sticking to the plan.
Two weeks of working out, get a rhythm, then quit and crank up the workouts....trying to get addicted to something else.
cwpeden
Thanks guys. Video games have helped fill my night time cravings and I'm WAY more productive at work. No requirement to stop every 1/2 hour.
veekry9
20 yrs from now,the tabac will still trigger a chemical stimulus.
Conditioning yourself to associate that switch with "I hate that shit"is the way.
A relapse every year is still possible,like walking on eggshells.
Addictive nasty shit,a gateway,along with booze,with which it goes so well.
happy11.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jan 24 2016, 06:50 PM) *

20 yrs from now,the tabac will still trigger a chemical stimulus.
Conditioning yourself to associate that switch with "I hate that shit"is the way.
A relapse every year is still possible,like walking on eggshells.
Addictive nasty shit,a gateway,along with booze,with which it goes so well.
happy11.gif

It's not a gateway to anything but the grave.
That is and always has been total BS
cwpeden
I'm behind you r_towle. aktion035.gif Or any of us trying to kick a habit. (except the one that brings us here)

I have set up automatic weekly bank transfers to a savings acct. for the amount I used to spend on cigarettes. Sure added up fast. Everyone was spoiled at Christmas! santa_smiley.gif
I haven't become one of those self righteous ex-smokers either.
Oh, one other benefit. My life insurance will go from $150 a month to $40 a month after one year smoke free.
veekry9
dry.gif Great,figures,an expert.
There's always one rotten pos in the bottom of the barrel.
Talk to your physician if you're having trouble empathizing,evil shit happens.
lol-2.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 24 2016, 07:04 PM) *

I'm behind you r_towle. aktion035.gif Or any of us trying to kick a habit. (except the one that brings us here)

I have set up automatic weekly bank transfers to a savings acct. for the amount I used to spend on cigarettes. Sure added up fast. Everyone was spoiled at Christmas! santa_smiley.gif
I haven't become one of those self righteous ex-smokers either.
Oh, one other benefit. My life insurance will go from $150 a month to $40 a month after one year smoke free.

I like that idea.....it's over 10 buck a day for me.
stugray
My wife just quit after >25 years of smoking.

First she switched to the e-cigs with a relatively high dose of nicotine.
At first she was having difficulty because apparently your body craves the tar, taste of smoke, AND having something in your hand.
After a few months of the e-cig, she started reducing the dose.
After one full year of that she quit the e-cig as well.

It helped that she had back surgery and knew that avoiding the nicotine would mean she would heal faster.
So that was about 6 months ago and she is nicotine free!

Anyway, there actually IS the possibility that you can use the e-cigs to help you quit.

One funny thing is that now she despises the smell of smokers.
She cannot believe that she used to smell like that all the time.
rick 918-S
Congratulations C! beerchug.gif Nice project. Do it Rich! I did it 29 yrs ago. I started at age 10 but smoked consistently since I was 13. I attended the school of hard knocks. Never smoked around Sandy or the kids. so I was like 28-29 or something. Only smoked at my shop. Hardest thing I have ever done ever. Sometimes I think about it and feel like I could start like I never quit. But after so many years I can pass it off in seconds instead of dwelling on it for hours like when I first quit.
veekry9
It's a nasty,dirty little hook that will always be embedded in our heads,like brain candy.
Wiff,arghh,patooee,I hate that shit.
Ya gotta get around that little jolt,and condition yourself to despise it and everything about it.
Neph has been quit for decades and still gets the jolt,he says it never goes away.

headbang.gif
rmdinmd
I quit back in 2005, having mycoplasma pneumonia was my incentive. Used the patch for 6 months, I was a pack a day for 35 years. It wasn't easy and there are still times the thought that a cig would be nice sneaks in dry.gif but have no interest restarting and that would only take one.
Yes I also discovered smokers stink! icon8.gif Doesn't matter how you do it, just quit and what ever works for you is the way.
914dave
Congratulations on quitting!!! Your best reward will be how you feel. Set a nice example for your kids too. February 23rd will by my 10 year anniversary of quitting. One of the best things I ever did. I used personal hypnosis. I can stand in the middle of our smoking area at work without and urge or tension. The only downside it that I cluck like a chicken when a bell rings. hehe
Saved roughly $18k over the past ten years,pretty much covers my six conversion.
Rich, Good luck in quitting!
TheCabinetmaker
I had my first heart attack in 1989. I was 40. Doc in the emergency room asked if I smoked. My answer was "not any more". He laughed and said, "yeah, I've heard that one before". I haven't had a cigarette since and I never have an urge! I'm calling bs veerky. Quitting smokes has nothing to do with will power. It's want power. The pain of the heart attack was all the motivation I needed. It's not that hard. Just make up your mind and do it. The brain has amazing powers.

Congrats cwpeden. God speed to all who are trying. Your life will change when you do.
Chris H.
Yeah congrats man. That's a huge accomplishment. Nicotine is such an addictive substance but every day that goes by it's hold gets weaker. At this point you WIN!!! Just don't say "I can have ONE....I can control myself..." because you'll be right back on the horse. If you've made it this far you can definitely do it. Don't you feel GREAT?????

Do an online search for the shop manual for the vehicle that engine came out of and you should find the factory one somewhere for free. PM me if you don't find it. They have the wiring diagrams you need.

BTW the Subie trans IS amazingly long...until you take the center diff off. Then it's almost as short as the 901.

Click to view attachment

EDIT: And the Center Diff is worth about $250 on NASIOC BTW beerchug.gif . So...now you're under $10k biggrin.gif .
chandler1969
I quit ten years ago this January. I was about a pack a day smoker for a little over 20 years. It was a Tuesday evening, around 10pm, when I just smoked my last one out of the pack. At that moment I decided no more. Cold Turkey. I stopped going into the gas stations where I normally buy the cigs. Cravings lasted a little while but after the first month it went away. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Congrats to all who have quit.
KELTY360
Been 29 years for me after 20 years of a couple packs a day...usually Camel straights. Tried many times but always ended up buying another pack somewhere. What finally worked for me was sucking air!

I'd noticed that every time I quit I'd always be waiting for that time when the urge would finally make me say "what the fuch." I decided I had to deal with it one urge at a time. Every time I'd feel the urge to take a drag I'd suck in some air, using the same muscle motion as I would to smoke. That would remove the urge for a time. At first, I was sucking air often. It became a habit just like smoking but over time the intervals between urges became longer and longer. After a while, sucking in air became a surprise because it hadn't happened for weeks, or even months.

That urge never happens now and watching someone smoke just reinforces how glad I am that it's not me. Good luck to everyone who is quitting and those who are working up to it. It's worth it!! biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 24 2016, 01:15 PM) *

As a reward to myself for quitting smoking in August, after 30 years, I have $50 a week burning a hole in my pocket. (What the hell was I thinking!)
For the smokers out there you know what I mean, quitting isn't that easy.

It cost me about $10k to quit. In the form of a spare no expense 2 week driving vacation with the family. We drove from our home Victoria BC to California and back. My goal was roller coasters, my daughter wanted to swim with dolphins, my son was all about LEGOLAND and my wife just wanted to sit and watch(relax). Of course we did all the major attractions and Parks along the way.

I have never smoked around my family but they know I did, wasn't a secret. Being with them 24/7 for 17 days didn't leave a lot of time for smokes so I figured it was the best time. Anyone trying to quit I recommend this method. Except for the packing around a gallon of water on my back for 10 hours a day. We weren't used to the 95+ august weather in Cali. San Diego was a nice break and a beautiful city. I was a little jealous. Of course its no Victoria BC, but it'll do, in a pinch. beerchug.gif

Here is my reward:
100k 2001 EJ25 with manual trans, about $900 USD
Had the coil pack and head gaskets done in December was running until 2 weeks ago when the owner rolled the Forester it was in.
Click to view attachment

Unfortunately what I considered to be the "wiring harness and computer" differed from the wrecking yard: See yellow oval, should be workable?
Click to view attachment

Your alright. 95% of those wires are removed and the remainder are spliced. Besides, all of those wires are colour coded and could be reattached easily. Congrats to all that have quit cigs. Especially you. What the Hell were you thinking being a diabetic? The worst thing for a diabetic. Just 2 more cig comments. 99.5% of the people that try nicotine in ANY form will return to it. 2nd, remember that an ex smoker ALWAYS starts back on cigs the same way. Via a "bummed" cigarette. BTW, after a year the urge is basically dead. Good engine tranny combo. You'll enjoy tha factory ECU, too.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 25 2016, 06:15 AM) *

Yeah congrats man. That's a huge accomplishment. Nicotine is such an addictive substance but every day that goes by it's hold gets weaker. At this point you WIN!!! Just don't say "I can have ONE....I can control myself..." because you'll be right back on the horse. If you've made it this far you can definitely do it. Don't you feel GREAT?????

Do an online search for the shop manual for the vehicle that engine came out of and you should find the factory one somewhere for free. PM me if you don't find it. They have the wiring diagrams you need.

BTW the Subie trans IS amazingly long...until you take the center diff off. Then it's almost as short as the 901.

Click to view attachment

EDIT: And the Center Diff is worth about $250 on NASIOC BTW beerchug.gif . So...now you're under $10k biggrin.gif .

Oh I understand that, but my point is in comparison to the Quattro transmission its just insane.
IPB Image
Chris H.
Yeah it's big and beefy, and yet somehow the tuners find a way to blow a lot of them up. It's the AWD that does it, making the trans the weak point (center diff is particularly vulnerable).

The one that amazed me was the 4EAT Subaru AWD auto. That sucker has to weigh almost 300 lbs. It was HUGE. I COULD NOT lift it. Even the FWD has to be 250ish.
r_towle
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 25 2016, 11:17 AM) *

Yeah it's big and beefy, and yet somehow the tuners find a way to blow a lot of them up. It's the AWD that does it, making the trans the weak point (center diff is particularly vulnerable).

The one that amazed me was the 4EAT Subaru AWD auto. That sucker has to weigh almost 300 lbs. It was HUGE. I COULD NOT lift it. Even the FWD has to be 250ish.

Reminds me of a time, back in the day, I had to change the clutch on an f150.
I was strong, but stupid.
Took the whole tranny and transfer case out at once, on my back, no Jack.
It was heavy...pinned me to the floor, all alone in the shop, hundreds of feet from anyone, no phone...

Obviously I got out...I rolled out from under it and spent the rest of the day tracking down a tranny Jack to put it back in....

cwpeden
Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I have found motivation that i didnt have before. My shop had turned into the smoking lounge and stank after coming back to it. Even welding couldnt over power the smell.

76-914 - I know, i was already 20 yrs into my sentence when I diagnosed with type 1. Just took 10 yrs to save up for the vacation biggrin.gif The nurses at emergency room where i ended up told me smoking diabetics are #1 for heart disease.

I tell you one thing that surprised me and almost turned me back to the dark side. Disneyland has a smoking area! And i was standing in line for Splash Mountain right beside it for what seemed like an hour. I ended up hating those people. LOL
Mark Henry
Not being an asshole as I've BTDT, but....

$50/wk X 52 = $2600. yr X 10 = $26000, decade X 2 = $52000 20/yrs

$10/day X 365 = $3650.yr X10 = $36500 decade X 2 = $73000 20/yrs

Now that you quit how much a day are you spending on gum? biggrin.gif
r_towle
wait,
I have discovered a whole new benefit to my choice of how I am quitting, by going to a gym.

YOGA PANTS....

Yes, I am a bored old guy but i look forward to seeing nicely filled out yoga pants very much to keep me on the machine just a bit longer...
flmont
I quit 23 yrs ago,..by smoking stale pall mall's (non filterd of course),.I would go as long as possible then smoke one real fast , they made me sick,..and after a week of that,I couldn't stand them anymore..!!!
cwpeden
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 25 2016, 02:11 PM) *

Not being an asshole as I've BTDT, but....

$50/wk X 52 = $2600. yr X 10 = $26000, decade X 2 = $52000 20/yrs

$10/day X 365 = $3650.yr X10 = $36500 decade X 2 = $73000 20/yrs

Now that you quit how much a day are you spending on gum? biggrin.gif

I know, really! I don't chew gum cause my breath don't stink no more.

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 25 2016, 06:21 PM) *

wait,
I have discovered a whole new benefit to my choice of how I am quitting, by going to a gym.

YOGA PANTS....

Yes, I am a bored old guy but i look forward to seeing nicely filled out yoga pants very much to keep me on the machine just a bit longer...

Why? Would getting off the machine lead to embarrassment? is there a pitching tent emoticon?
Elliot Cannon
I quit smoking when I was 9 years old (1955). My Father helped me quit. laugh.gif
rhodyguy
Do not think you can have JUST one when you are around other smokers. I had been done with them for 2 years and gave in for just one. Then again, and again, and first thing you know you're burning $10 bills.
Chris H.
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 26 2016, 12:31 AM) *

I quit smoking when I was 9 years old (1955). My Father helped me quit. laugh.gif

A trip to the wood shed ? spank.gif

Or was it, "You like smoking cigarettes do you? Have a seat...you're smoking the rest of that pack right now...without stopping... icon8.gif "
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 26 2016, 08:42 AM) *

Or was it, "You like smoking cigarettes do you? Have a seat...you're smoking the rest of that pack right now...without stopping... icon8.gif "

More like the former. I never forgot the hypocrisy though. My Father smoked un-filtered Camels for over 35 years and had his first heart attack at 57 and died of another one ten years later. To be fair though, in those days whenever you saw the cover of a medical journal, there was quite often a photo on the cover of a doctor in as white smock with a mirror on his head and a cigarette between his fingers. It was a deadly triad. Hypocrisy, ignorance and greed.
rhodyguy
As a child my FP doctor smoked in the exam room and his office. One right after another. Those days there were ashtrays in his waiting room too. But to be fair people smoked everywhere.
r_towle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jan 26 2016, 01:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 26 2016, 08:42 AM) *

More like the former. I never forgot the hypocrisy though. My Father smoked un-filtered Camels for over 35 years and had his first heart attack at 57 and died of another one ten years later. To be fair though, in those days whenever you saw the cover of a medical journal, there was quite often a photo on the cover of a doctor in as white smock with a mirror on his head and a cigarette between his fingers. It was a deadly triad. Hypocrisy, ignorance and greed.

my deadly triad is wife, daughter, grand daughter
Chris H.
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 26 2016, 01:00 PM) *

As a child my FP doctor smoked in the exam room and his office. One right after another. Those days there were ashtrays in his waiting room too. But to be fair people smoked everywhere.

Yes they did! I still remember being at Kroger in the early '70's and my Dad (and everyone else) smoking inside the grocery store. I have one of those "mental snapshots" of being in the produce section (!). No ashtrays there, you just stomped the butts out on the tile floor.

You can do it Rich. You'll feel GREAT after just a few days.

cwpeden, did you find the wiring diagrams you need? I can search for you if not. Is it a 2001 Forester?

gandalf_025
You want a quick easy way to quit.?

Walk into a Hospital and watch someone on their deathbed,
gasping for their last breaths. Watch it to the end.

Then picture yourself in that bed with your loved ones
surrounding you, watching you as you die the same way...

If You smoke another cigarette.... You are some stupid..

Sorry if that sounds harsh..... But, I've Seen it more than a few times.
rhodyguy
a lot like driving WAY too fast for the road/conditions. you just know it can go horribly sideways in an instant. permanently. people do it anyways. human nature. dogs and horse touch an electric fence, they learn.
r_towle
Cairo94507
In a former career I had a boss who was a flaming a-hole and non-stop smoker. He was about 50 at the time and I was about 30. He tried to quit smoking a few times but the next week was right back at it.

I was at an autopsy one day and asked the pathologist to section out a piece of a lung on a guy that had apparently been a life-long smoker. The lung tissue, instead of being nice and pink was covered in a sticky black tar-like substance. When I saw that I knew that would make an impact. The pathologist snipped off a nice section of lung and put it in a sample container and I took it to my boss' office and left it on his desk.

He came back from lunch and began yelling and I walked across the hall and said, "that is probably what your lungs look like now. Stop smoking." He quit after he opened the specimen jar and touched the lung section and it stuck to his finger.

I hated this a-hole but I didn't want to see him die of lung cancer. He never smoked again. But he did chew regular gum after that.
r_towle
Well,
It happened,.had my first HA.

So, I guess I will quit smoking now...

I Boston, gonna get some catheter work done, not sure how much till we get started.

Shitty Friday night.
Cairo94507
Sorry to hear that. Wishing you a very speedy recovery.
euro911
Ditto ...

popcorn[1].gif
cwpeden
Wow, sorry to hear that. Get well soon. Doesn't sound like this was the big one?

Been 8 months today for me. Had couple small cravings but mostly I'm reminded I don't stink anymore. And my wife loves her new purse. LOL

PS Sorry to everyone I talked to after having a cigarette.
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 9 2016, 10:33 PM) *

Well,
It happened,.had my first HA.

So, I guess I will quit smoking now...

I Boston, gonna get some catheter work done, not sure how much till we get started.

Shitty Friday night.

Thinking of you Rich. I will check in on you later today.

Take Care
rhodyguy
Fuck rich!!!
Jamie
Kissing a smoker is just like licking an ashtray! barf.gif
Chris H.
Rich,

Any updates? You OK?
r_towle
Just out, one stent, big blocked artery.
All done for now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.