Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to quit smoking
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Gunn1
After smoking 2 to 3 packs of Marbs per day along with a massive amount of dips per day, I finally quit 12 years ago. What got me to quit was my own father having a heart attack. My Pop never smoked or Chewed and barely drank any alcohol. During the consultation before pops surgery the cardiac surgeon looked at my Dad and then focused on me and said "You better quit smoking (think he smelled it on me), I would hate to see what your veins look like when your fathers look so terrible and he has never smoked" I left the Hospital and never touched any tobacco products since that day. I would hate to see how many health problems I would have if I hadn't given them up. Pure and simple they are Killers.
flyer86d
My dad was a smoker, had his first HA at 53. He was a corporate pilot so that was a life changing event for him. He had a triple bypass at 60 and a quadruple bypass at 73. He passed quietly one month short of his 87th birthday from heart failure. He was truly a lucky guy. My mother started smoking at twelve and developed lung cancer in her 83rd year and passed 9 months later horribly debilitated. I watched her pass.

I started smoking my freshman year of college. You have to remember that it was very sociably acceptable. I quit the first time on April 1, 1984 for 22 years and then, stupidly, started up for 5 years. Shortly before my mothers passing I quit finally and won't go back.

I'll bet that all of the cancers in our family including mine, are directly related to smoking. It is a horrible addiction. Fortunately, my kids have not carried on this legacy.

All the best and best of luck.

Charlie
Gunn1
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 10 2016, 09:28 AM) *

Fuck rich!!!

What's the Matter with you?
Chris H.
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 11 2016, 07:29 PM) *

Fuck rich!!!

You're not translating that correctly. 100% sure he meant "Oh Fuch Rich, that's terrible news! Sorry to hear that!"
NeunEinVier
QUOTE(Jamie @ Apr 10 2016, 11:41 AM) *

Kissing a smoker is just like licking an ashtray! barf.gif

Which is why smokers usually date smokers, ashtray love! Seriously though, just had a friend's mother die of lung cancer about six months ago. She smoked from high school to almost 60, probably lost a good twenty or more years she could have spent with her grandkids. Please people, don't do it.
EdwardBlume
The only thing I smoke are my tires...
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Apr 10 2016, 05:09 AM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 9 2016, 10:33 PM) *

Well,
It happened,.had my first HA.

So, I guess I will quit smoking now...

I Boston, gonna get some catheter work done, not sure how much till we get started.

Shitty Friday night.

Thinking of you Rich. I will check in on you later today.

Take Care

Wow. Totally missed the later part of this thread. Rich, get well soon! We need you around here.
euro911
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Apr 11 2016, 06:23 PM) *
QUOTE(OU812 @ Apr 11 2016, 07:29 PM) *
Fuck rich!!!
You're not translating that correctly. 100% sure he meant "Oh Fuch Rich, that's terrible news! Sorry to hear that!"
That's why punctuation is so important shades.gif
Chris H.
"Let's eat, Grandma!"

"lets eat grandma"

I think I get it idea.gif .

So Rich, you quit right poke.gif ? Still planning that Subaru conversion?

r_towle
I quit Friday at about 5 pm, in the er smile.gif
euro911
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 12 2016, 07:57 AM) *
I quit Friday at about 5 pm, in the er smile.gif
thumb3d.gif
Gunn1
Good Job Rich! You will be glad you quit......It is on the good things to do list, right alongside owning a 914
cwpeden
One year smoke free! cheer.gif
rmdinmd
congratulations. smilie_pokal.gif

For me, I just can't take that first drag. Still smoke free (2005).
porschetub
Wow must be weak did 7 smoke free days fell into a hole of depression soon after and started again REALLY unhappy with me.
My wife passed 18 months ago,doctor saying delayed grief still working on it ,patches have been good for starters.
orthobiz
As an orthopedic surgeon, I see articles almost monthly documenting the ill effects of smoking on surgical results. Clots, healing problems, etc. And I tell my diabetic smokers that they are not allowed to smoke AND have diabetes. Too much of a negative load on the body...

Smokers seem puzzled and amazed when I tell them it doubles the chance of infection and leg clots after hip/knee replacement surgery. Bad for the heart and lungs, yes, but also bad teeth and even...skin wrinkles!

Best of luck to you! You've made a good decision!!

Paul
rmdinmd
QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 12 2016, 05:10 AM) *

Wow must be weak did 7 smoke free days fell into a hole of depression soon after and started again REALLY unhappy with me.
My wife passed 18 months ago,doctor saying delayed grief still working on it ,patches have been good for starters.

I used the patch for about 6 months; had to break the habit and all of the "triggers". there are still days when the thought comes to mind. But, I resist the momentary temptation. was probably ONE of the hardest things I ever had to do (quitting) but also one of the best things I have ever done.

Just keep trying and don't give. I refused to allow myself ANY excuse.

good luck; takes time. beerchug.gif
JoeDees
3 days, but only because we're too broke to buy smokes after the vet bills hit.
wndsnd
Aah,

The joys of pet ownership.

krazykonrad
QUOTE(veekry9 @ Jan 24 2016, 03:50 PM) *

20 yrs from now,the tabac will still trigger a chemical stimulus.
Conditioning yourself to associate that switch with "I hate that shit"is the way.

I dipped most of the way through high school. I finally quit after packing a cheek full of Beech-Nut at a Mississippi gas station, looking down at my spit cup, and going "what the hell was I thinking?!?!"

The first few months was tough, but totally worth it. I dipped once since and almost immediately threw up into a kitchen sink.

Congratulations! You can do it! smilie_pokal.gif

Konrad
DblDog
Fell off the wagon after 5 years of quitting. Then 1 or 2 a month...then...then...packaday! No more....today is my birthday.

Powerful post here.

BTW...you're putting what into what....
cwpeden
QUOTE(DblDog @ Aug 12 2016, 03:50 PM) *

Fell off the wagon after 5 years of quitting. Then 1 or 2 a month...then...then...packaday! No more....today is my birthday.

Powerful post here.

BTW...you're putting what into what....

by quitting, I'm putting money into my pocket.

by engine, I'm putting 2.5 NA with 5 sp manual into 72 914
cwpeden
Update,

2 yrs in I'm running almost 10km 3 times a week. If anyone had told I would have been doing this 2yrs ago I would told them they were crazy.

914 is still on the rotisserie..... dry.gif
76-914
Congratulations on your 2nd year. Now that you've got that handled what's the hold up with the car. Do you have a build thread? beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.