Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Welding wounds and helmets, Good safety is worth the $$$
Amphicar770
post Jan 26 2016, 12:27 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

http://www.amazon.com/Darkening-Welding-He...l/dp/B002B8M6SS
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 26 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #22

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jan 25 2016, 03:53 PM) *

Certified Welder, former fab shop worker, former ship yard worker. As a ship yard worker I ended up with flash burns several times from catching flash from others welding around me. Often working in close quarters next to other guys welding.

I don't own an auto darkening helmet and have no use for one. I use gloves and protective clothing. Even when tacking.

Actually I am about to launch an Alien product line for welding. The web page is in the works.

This is personal for me. I had a friend who lost his brother to a welding injury. He worked for the mines and used to tack without gloves. He received a small burn on his finger that wouldn't heal. Turned out it was cancer. They took the finger, then his arm to the elbow, then to the shoulder. shortly after it took his life. I cringe when I see those hot rod and custom bike shows and guys are welding without gear. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

learn something every time you post....

Thanks

rich
+Quote Post
JoeDees
post Jan 29 2016, 06:45 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 18,106
Region Association: None

Here's the crazy part, it turns out it was not flash (I still plan to buy a new helmet).

I actually had a piece of metal embedded in my eye. After it wasn't getting better they looked closer and found the metal-it was camouflaged in the color of my eye. The metal was in a place of my eye where I couldn't/didn't feel it and all of the irritation/problems were actually caused by the metal rusting.

This is way more confusing than flash from a cheap mask because I wear goggles when grinding... Doctor has ordered me to stay out of the garage this weekend and I have followups next week because the eye isn't reacting properly to light. The hole where they dug the metal out has healed well, but the rust has had an effect. Damn rust.
+Quote Post
patssle
post Jan 29 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 10,741
Region Association: None

And don't forget proper ventilation as well. Or wear a respirator. It won't hurt you now but it will later. I work in the clean air industry so I know all about the hazards of welding fumes.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 06:21 PM