Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914World Classifieds Rules

We've established the following rules to help make your sales/purchases as successful as possible!
- Please List WTB:, FS:, TRADE: etc (want to buy, for sale, and trade respectively) before your add title.
- You *must* put a price in your ad and state how you would like payment!
- If you'd like to bump your ads, feel free to do so every two days.
- DO NOT MAKE YOUR ADS IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS! It's considered rude.
- All eBay ads belong in the eBay category.
- Please consolidate your ads into one big lump... listings and pictures together in one thread. Please be considerate of other classified users!!
- Mark your items "SOLD" once you sell them. Please do not ask to have ads removed. Ads will automatically hide themselves after 30 days. We also ask that you leave your pricing in the ads to help others determine fair market value for future sales.

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Porsche "Nine One Four" 914, No Integrity
frankiec@outrageous.net
post Jan 27 2016, 01:20 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,717
Region Association: Northern California

Made an agreement with "Glenn @ Porsche "Nine One Four" 914 in LA. I'm in Norcal. Talked to him on the phone about a early chrome front bumper with tits for my 914 and he said he had one. He described it over the phone and I asked a couple of questions which he answered. He said he would email me some pics of the bumper the following day, Wed 1/20 and I would let him know right away if I wanted to buy it. I had a couple of more questions and called him this morning. He told me he sold the bumper yesterday and felt NO obligation to notify me that he had sold it. He also said he didn't know me so why should he trust me and didn't see any need to call me or send me an email. This person is running ads that rely on trust. Beware.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BuddyV
post Jan 27 2016, 03:14 PM
Post #2

Robert

Member No.: 3,898

This seems to happen quite a bit...... not saying it's the "right" thing to do, but I would consider anything for sale on this site a "maybe" until you actually hand over money.

We all seem like nice guys, but some have been burned..... so when they see money, they take it. I get it.

I would be bummed, too, so I feel you. But you are truly not out anything.

If you are Bay Area, have you tried calling EASY?? If you don't know, message me and I can explain.
+Quote Post
toolguy
post Jan 27 2016, 03:29 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,889
Region Association: Southern California

I know that is frustrating from your viewpoint. . Good part is a 73-73 Tit bumper shouldn't be too hard to find, post a "Wanted" ad here. . Lots of good stuff out there in members parts stashes just waiting to be asked about.

And from Glenn's side, please take into account he is running a business. . .
Accepting everything you said as 100% accurate, someone with cash was standing there and stepped up to the plate after you said "I need to see pictures first" after Glen described the bumper. . . Which to Glenn might have sounded like you were somewhat uncommitted, as in plunking down some cash. . It happens all the time to people in business. Too many times a seller has a transaction started where the prospective customer doesn't follow through. Now if Glen had made a deal contingent on acceptance of pictures and said he'd hold it for you that might hold some water.

As Judge Judy would say, a deal is not consummated until there is an acceptance of terms and product, and a transfer of payment.

Anybody got a nice Titted Front bumper for this member??

+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jan 27 2016, 06:53 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Jan 27 2016, 11:20 AM) *

Made an agreement with "Glenn @ Porsche "Nine One Four" 914 in LA. I'm in Norcal. Talked to him on the phone about a early chrome front bumper with tits for my 914 and he said he had one. He described it over the phone and I asked a couple of questions which he answered. He said he would email me some pics of the bumper the following day, Wed 1/20 and I would let him know right away if I wanted to buy it. I had a couple of more questions and called him this morning. He told me he sold the bumper yesterday and felt NO obligation to notify me that he had sold it. He also said he didn't know me so why should he trust me and didn't see any need to call me or send me an email. This person is running ads that rely on trust. Beware.

Wow...that alone would make me never want to buy from him....so he only sells to people he knows? what a tool!

Is this the same clown advertising 0 mile 175HP big bore conversion 914s on craigslist?
+Quote Post
frankiec@outrageous.net
post Jan 27 2016, 07:21 PM
Post #5

I can almost understand that he sold the item to someone with cash in hand. But no email or phone call after he said he send pics the next day. If people think that behavior is OK I'm definitely missing out on what this is all about. If you all think that saying you're going to sell someone something and then sell to someone else and not notify the first person in line that's BALONEY. Poor Glenn. What I'm out is faith in people listing in the classified.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jan 27 2016, 08:45 PM
Post #6

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Jan 27 2016, 05:21 PM) *

I can almost understand that he sold the item to someone with cash in hand. But no email or phone call after he said he send pics the next day. If people think that behavior is OK I'm definitely missing out on what this is all about. If you all think that saying you're going to sell someone something and then sell to someone else and not notify the first person in line that's BALONEY. Poor Glenn. What I'm out is faith in people listing in the classified.

Nope, that's bass akwards, Frankie. If I'm the prospective buyer I wouldn't assume "a seller" would do anything other than sell his item and that I need to make it clear that "I" am very interested and would offer what we used to call "earnest money" to bind the deal. Sorry it got away from you but you learned. Nail the deal down or put it up for auction.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 27 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #7

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

I don't recognize the seller's user name. Is he a member here? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

The neighborhood has definitely changed in the past few years (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
sixaddict
post Jan 27 2016, 09:19 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,961
Region Association: South East States

Problem is too many "buyers" say they want something and then evaporate. When you are asking questions you have not committed so seller takes the money and runs ...rightly so.
Sorry but that IS how it works. Not unsympathetic but cash is king!
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jan 27 2016, 10:02 PM
Post #9

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

He shows up at Pomona occasionally and also G&R/Bruce swap meet.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Jan 27 2016, 10:28 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195

His shop.......ERRRRR I mean backyard is located in Compton. Not hating, ok I am. Just saying if you ever get a flat on the 105 fwy headed to LAX just keep driving. He post 914s 4-sale on Craigslist. He has a 73 and a 74 for sale. They all look like they are in his dirt backyard. His outdoor shop is something you would see in TJ. Check out his pics on CL. He even advertises six and eight conversions.
Just thinking he would have better luck selling Porsches if his pictures showed a better backround other then a Compton Calif dirt backyard and a outdoor canopy for a workshop.
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Jan 27 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527

QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 27 2016, 10:19 PM) *

Problem is too many "buyers" say they want something and then evaporate. When you are asking questions you have not committed so seller takes the money and runs ...rightly so.
Sorry but that IS how it works. Not unsympathetic but cash is king!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I've been going through the same thing for a month. Craigslist is the worst. When someone does show up with even close to the asking price, it's gone. The people who asked me "Can you wait a couple days?" can take a hike.

To the OP, sorry it got away from you, but better luck next time! Be patient, there's still plenty of parts around.
+Quote Post
frankiec@outrageous.net
post Jan 28 2016, 01:18 AM
Post #12

When I'm spending $500 on an item I'd like a look at it. Will you buy something for that price sight unseen??? I don't think so. Too bad that humanity seems to be headed downhill. I guess you're saying cash trumps (no pun) integrity every time. Maybe we should get bumper stickers that say "Celebrate Your Cynicism"
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 28 2016, 04:43 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Seems obvious to me. The seller was faced with two buyers.

One said "Take pictures and maybe I'll buy it."

Another said "Here's my money, take it."

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Sell it to the guy with money in hand.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 28 2016, 08:14 AM
Post #14

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Sorry Frankie, I have to agree with the others here. You were still investigating and deciding. Someone with cash arrived and made the deal and it was done. I do agree that the seller could have at least sent you an email to advise the part had been sold. I am sure a nice bumper will pop up here. Good luck and cheers.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Jan 28 2016, 11:27 AM
Post #15

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 28 2016, 02:43 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Sell it to the guy with money in hand.

Yes i agree too....but the guy could have sent a message and let buyer1 know it was sold...

Then the whole thing with the seller's attitude. Matter of perception I guess. One email could have avoided all this. Now the dude cut off his nose to spite his face...

I've seen those ads all the time and chuckle to myself that he can actually carry on a business like that. ...but he must be if he's still doing it after all this time.

I will continue to just pass over the ads and chuckle....you all should too.
+Quote Post
euro911
post Jan 28 2016, 01:16 PM
Post #16

Retired & living the dream. God help me if I wake up!

Member No.: 7,300

None of us actually knows the whole story (except the potential buyer and the seller). I don't personally know the buyer or the seller, and I didn't see the FS ad, so I can't even guess what transpired, however, this same scenario has been discussed in several previous threads.

Personally, I usually give the first responder the first right of refusal. If he/she asks for more info or pix, I'll oblige.

If shipping were required, the buyer may want a shipping quote too.

If I really need something gone quickly, I'd state local sale only (or preferred), or first cash-in-hand buyer gets it.

What would happen if the seller stated something like "first paypal payment received gets it" ? ... some fur would fly, wouldn't it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
frankiec@outrageous.net
post Jan 28 2016, 01:18 PM
Post #17

Cairo, all purchases on line are based on trust. Would you buy a $500 item on line without wanting to look at it. No pics, no nothing??????
I wasn't investigating anything. I asked Glenn specific questions and he gave me specific answers. I said send me a couple of pics and I'd let him know right away if I wanted the item. I just wanted a pic of item I was interested in. You obviously don't know about 914 parts as a good early chrome front bumper is very rare. Look for one yourself and if you find a clean early front bumper please let me know.
+Quote Post
Blue6
post Jan 28 2016, 01:30 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 16,470

Frankie, with the tits your limited to 73-74, unless you want to drill an early bumper ( ouch). I'll look and see if I have one when I get to my storage. Probably don't have the tits as I used the good ones for mine, but they are plentiful just post a wtb.... Dave
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 28 2016, 01:38 PM
Post #19

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 28 2016, 05:43 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

As Far as having to call or eMail a "Potential" Buyer, that's BS. Let's say he has 1,000 items for sale, it would be impossible to keep up.

If the OP thought that is was a Deal, you should have been on the ball.
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jan 28 2016, 01:42 PM
Post #20

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Jan 28 2016, 02:18 PM) *

Cairo, . You obviously don't know about 914 parts as a good early chrome front bumper is very rare.

And the OP scores another Dud response! Cairo knows what he speaks about.

That Bumper is not Rare, I think I have 3 of them. However, after all your Whining, I would never sell You one!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2024 - 05:56 PM