Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche "Nine One Four" 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
frankiec@outrageous.net
Made an agreement with "Glenn @ Porsche "Nine One Four" 914 in LA. I'm in Norcal. Talked to him on the phone about a early chrome front bumper with tits for my 914 and he said he had one. He described it over the phone and I asked a couple of questions which he answered. He said he would email me some pics of the bumper the following day, Wed 1/20 and I would let him know right away if I wanted to buy it. I had a couple of more questions and called him this morning. He told me he sold the bumper yesterday and felt NO obligation to notify me that he had sold it. He also said he didn't know me so why should he trust me and didn't see any need to call me or send me an email. This person is running ads that rely on trust. Beware.
BuddyV
This seems to happen quite a bit...... not saying it's the "right" thing to do, but I would consider anything for sale on this site a "maybe" until you actually hand over money.

We all seem like nice guys, but some have been burned..... so when they see money, they take it. I get it.

I would be bummed, too, so I feel you. But you are truly not out anything.

If you are Bay Area, have you tried calling EASY?? If you don't know, message me and I can explain.
toolguy
I know that is frustrating from your viewpoint. . Good part is a 73-73 Tit bumper shouldn't be too hard to find, post a "Wanted" ad here. . Lots of good stuff out there in members parts stashes just waiting to be asked about.

And from Glenn's side, please take into account he is running a business. . .
Accepting everything you said as 100% accurate, someone with cash was standing there and stepped up to the plate after you said "I need to see pictures first" after Glen described the bumper. . . Which to Glenn might have sounded like you were somewhat uncommitted, as in plunking down some cash. . It happens all the time to people in business. Too many times a seller has a transaction started where the prospective customer doesn't follow through. Now if Glen had made a deal contingent on acceptance of pictures and said he'd hold it for you that might hold some water.

As Judge Judy would say, a deal is not consummated until there is an acceptance of terms and product, and a transfer of payment.

Anybody got a nice Titted Front bumper for this member??

Mueller
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Jan 27 2016, 11:20 AM) *

Made an agreement with "Glenn @ Porsche "Nine One Four" 914 in LA. I'm in Norcal. Talked to him on the phone about a early chrome front bumper with tits for my 914 and he said he had one. He described it over the phone and I asked a couple of questions which he answered. He said he would email me some pics of the bumper the following day, Wed 1/20 and I would let him know right away if I wanted to buy it. I had a couple of more questions and called him this morning. He told me he sold the bumper yesterday and felt NO obligation to notify me that he had sold it. He also said he didn't know me so why should he trust me and didn't see any need to call me or send me an email. This person is running ads that rely on trust. Beware.

Wow...that alone would make me never want to buy from him....so he only sells to people he knows? what a tool!

Is this the same clown advertising 0 mile 175HP big bore conversion 914s on craigslist?
frankiec@outrageous.net
I can almost understand that he sold the item to someone with cash in hand. But no email or phone call after he said he send pics the next day. If people think that behavior is OK I'm definitely missing out on what this is all about. If you all think that saying you're going to sell someone something and then sell to someone else and not notify the first person in line that's BALONEY. Poor Glenn. What I'm out is faith in people listing in the classified.
76-914
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Jan 27 2016, 05:21 PM) *

I can almost understand that he sold the item to someone with cash in hand. But no email or phone call after he said he send pics the next day. If people think that behavior is OK I'm definitely missing out on what this is all about. If you all think that saying you're going to sell someone something and then sell to someone else and not notify the first person in line that's BALONEY. Poor Glenn. What I'm out is faith in people listing in the classified.

Nope, that's bass akwards, Frankie. If I'm the prospective buyer I wouldn't assume "a seller" would do anything other than sell his item and that I need to make it clear that "I" am very interested and would offer what we used to call "earnest money" to bind the deal. Sorry it got away from you but you learned. Nail the deal down or put it up for auction.
euro911
I don't recognize the seller's user name. Is he a member here? confused24.gif

The neighborhood has definitely changed in the past few years dry.gif
sixaddict
Problem is too many "buyers" say they want something and then evaporate. When you are asking questions you have not committed so seller takes the money and runs ...rightly so.
Sorry but that IS how it works. Not unsympathetic but cash is king!
7TPorsh
He shows up at Pomona occasionally and also G&R/Bruce swap meet.
Coondog
His shop.......ERRRRR I mean backyard is located in Compton. Not hating, ok I am. Just saying if you ever get a flat on the 105 fwy headed to LAX just keep driving. He post 914s 4-sale on Craigslist. He has a 73 and a 74 for sale. They all look like they are in his dirt backyard. His outdoor shop is something you would see in TJ. Check out his pics on CL. He even advertises six and eight conversions.
Just thinking he would have better luck selling Porsches if his pictures showed a better backround other then a Compton Calif dirt backyard and a outdoor canopy for a workshop.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(sixaddict @ Jan 27 2016, 10:19 PM) *

Problem is too many "buyers" say they want something and then evaporate. When you are asking questions you have not committed so seller takes the money and runs ...rightly so.
Sorry but that IS how it works. Not unsympathetic but cash is king!

agree.gif I've been going through the same thing for a month. Craigslist is the worst. When someone does show up with even close to the asking price, it's gone. The people who asked me "Can you wait a couple days?" can take a hike.

To the OP, sorry it got away from you, but better luck next time! Be patient, there's still plenty of parts around.
frankiec@outrageous.net
When I'm spending $500 on an item I'd like a look at it. Will you buy something for that price sight unseen??? I don't think so. Too bad that humanity seems to be headed downhill. I guess you're saying cash trumps (no pun) integrity every time. Maybe we should get bumper stickers that say "Celebrate Your Cynicism"
McMark
Seems obvious to me. The seller was faced with two buyers.

One said "Take pictures and maybe I'll buy it."

Another said "Here's my money, take it."

confused24.gif Sell it to the guy with money in hand.
Cairo94507
Sorry Frankie, I have to agree with the others here. You were still investigating and deciding. Someone with cash arrived and made the deal and it was done. I do agree that the seller could have at least sent you an email to advise the part had been sold. I am sure a nice bumper will pop up here. Good luck and cheers.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 28 2016, 02:43 AM) *

Yes i agree too....but the guy could have sent a message and let buyer1 know it was sold...

Then the whole thing with the seller's attitude. Matter of perception I guess. One email could have avoided all this. Now the dude cut off his nose to spite his face...

I've seen those ads all the time and chuckle to myself that he can actually carry on a business like that. ...but he must be if he's still doing it after all this time.

I will continue to just pass over the ads and chuckle....you all should too.
euro911
None of us actually knows the whole story (except the potential buyer and the seller). I don't personally know the buyer or the seller, and I didn't see the FS ad, so I can't even guess what transpired, however, this same scenario has been discussed in several previous threads.

Personally, I usually give the first responder the first right of refusal. If he/she asks for more info or pix, I'll oblige.

If shipping were required, the buyer may want a shipping quote too.

If I really need something gone quickly, I'd state local sale only (or preferred), or first cash-in-hand buyer gets it.

What would happen if the seller stated something like "first paypal payment received gets it" ? ... some fur would fly, wouldn't it? confused24.gif
frankiec@outrageous.net
Cairo, all purchases on line are based on trust. Would you buy a $500 item on line without wanting to look at it. No pics, no nothing??????
I wasn't investigating anything. I asked Glenn specific questions and he gave me specific answers. I said send me a couple of pics and I'd let him know right away if I wanted the item. I just wanted a pic of item I was interested in. You obviously don't know about 914 parts as a good early chrome front bumper is very rare. Look for one yourself and if you find a clean early front bumper please let me know.
Blue6
Frankie, with the tits your limited to 73-74, unless you want to drill an early bumper ( ouch). I'll look and see if I have one when I get to my storage. Probably don't have the tits as I used the good ones for mine, but they are plentiful just post a wtb.... Dave
carr914
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 28 2016, 05:43 AM) *

agree.gif

As Far as having to call or eMail a "Potential" Buyer, that's BS. Let's say he has 1,000 items for sale, it would be impossible to keep up.

If the OP thought that is was a Deal, you should have been on the ball.
carr914
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Jan 28 2016, 02:18 PM) *

Cairo, . You obviously don't know about 914 parts as a good early chrome front bumper is very rare.

And the OP scores another Dud response! Cairo knows what he speaks about.

That Bumper is not Rare, I think I have 3 of them. However, after all your Whining, I would never sell You one!
frankiec@outrageous.net
Thanks, that's great. I'm really looking for an early, no tits, bumper. The bumper I was offered had the tits and I figured it would hold me over till I found and earlier bumper. Sorry to differ, but good clean chrome, straight, no dents or rust bumper is extremely hard to find, tits or not. I'm 70yrs old and have been a car guy all my life. I've been looking for a decent bumper but the only one's that are available at this point are the new stainless bumpers at $1300 for a front. My car is a project and I'm trying to save dough so... let me know if you find anything. 1975 914 3.2, 911 suspension, lowered and getting close to the finish line and the cruiser is a 1962 356 Cab. w/65 SC engine and running gear.

Thanks for you time and thinking of me, Tom

QUOTE(Blue6 @ Jan 28 2016, 11:30 AM) *

Frankie, with the tits your limited to 73-74, unless you want to drill an early bumper ( ouch). I'll look and see if I have one when I get to my storage. Probably don't have the tits as I used the good ones for mine, but they are plentiful just post a wtb.... Dave

frankiec@outrageous.net
Thanks for the positive input. Maybe Cairo will sell me his and he can buy one of yours. And as all of this started with disinformation how can I trust you as I don't know you. Why would I want to do any on line buying from someone bragging about all the bumpers he has. I'm hearing Glenn here. You might not have any bumpers but just want to whine yourself. Go to Nine One Four for you parts.

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 28 2016, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Jan 28 2016, 02:18 PM) *

Cairo, . You obviously don't know about 914 parts as a good early chrome front bumper is very rare.

And the OP scores another Dud response! Cairo knows what he speaks about.

That Bumper is not Rare, I think I have 3 of them. However, after all your Whining, I would never sell You one!

madmax914
Wow dude, you're really out for this Glen guy. I responded to your thread on "The Bird" and now you're spreading the love over here. The guy was selling a bumper not pictures of a bumper. Doesn't sound like you're getting sympathy here either. No disrespect but just let it go!
rasam
QUOTE(frankiec@outrageous.net @ Jan 27 2016, 11:20 AM) *

For what it's worth, I have been to Glenns shop looking for my first 914 a while back. I found him to be a stand up guy. He had a 914 in my price range, we drove to the gas station he put $10 in the tank, drove back to his shop and handed me the keys and said "drive it as long as you need when you come back we'll talk". I don't think a person with bad intentions would do that. He gave me a lot of good info about 914's. He also gave my a ride in one of the cars he's selling now which was awesome it is the turbo on Craigslist. So I think like madmax914, move on.
PancakePorsche
When I emailed a craigslist seller of a 914-6 to see if it was still for sale he replied he was busy answering many questions for two weeks about the car but still available. I drove 10 hrs. the next day with cash deposit.

Loving my 914-6 !
Old Yella
You lucky bastard.
Coondog
If you are still looking for bumpers try Rengegade hybrids, they had newly chromed ones a while back.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.