Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fixin the '73
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 30 2016, 09:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

So today I decided it was time to get to work on replacing the rear trunk floor and rear wall of my 1973. I have only had the parts for for oh....I guess about 10 years. Let me start by saying it was quite evident that it had been in a rear end collision when I bought it, but hey I only paid $800.00, it ran and besides it was a '73 2.0. So after watching everyone in here working on their cars I figured I had better get to it.
I figured I would start with the rear trunk wall and the rear trunk floor.
Attached Image
The PO took it to a shop and hell my 5 year old grandson could have doe a better job.
Attached Image
Attached Image
Of course poor workmanship led to leaks and the dreaded rust.
Attached Image
The job was so bad there was a quarter inch drop in the middle of the trunk wall. Caused damage to the hood as a result
Attached Image
And that is just the outside

Then I had to decide where I was going to start today. I had to assess the damage inside the trunk and then formulate a game plan...
There were so many poor welds (if that is what you want to call them) That it leaked so badly......
Attached Image
Attached Image
Someone drilled a drain hole in the trunk floor
Attached Image
Attached Image

And with that I decided to remove the rear wall first and then attack the floor
Attached Image
Attached Image
Once it was on the floor, I could really see the hack patch in the bottom center.Attached Image

So then I started cutting out the floor. I did it in sections since I was not sure what else the hackers might have done to it.

Attached Image
Attached Image

When I got to the passenger side and stripped all of the seam (hole) sealer the hack had put in there, this is what I found....

Attached Image
That gaping hole was filled with seam sealer. Guess it is going to be more work than I planned on for today.
Attached Image

Drivers side was not near as bad

Attached Image

Finally got everything cut out and cleaned up a bit

Attached Image

After several hours of work I was finally able to test fit the new floor, not bad for a days work considering how hacked up this car was.....Long way to go...

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jason74914
post Jan 31 2016, 12:05 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 19,544
Region Association: None

Dang...you aren't messing around! Nice work.
I do giggle a bit that you did all this in one day.....after ten years.
+Quote Post
mark04usa
post Jan 31 2016, 12:06 AM
Post #3

'70 1.7 Tangerine

Member No.: 10,805

Top work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Cuda911
post Jan 31 2016, 02:02 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 17,376
Region Association: Southern California

Good stuff! Keep us updated with the progress.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 31 2016, 06:06 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(Jason74914 @ Jan 30 2016, 11:05 PM) *

Dang...you aren't messing around! Nice work.
I do giggle a bit that you did all this in one day.....after ten years.

I have to laugh too. It is all the motivation of everyone in here, got me feeling guilty...lol. Actually, getting ready to retire soon, so figured this is what I will be doing in retirement, might as well start practicing for retirement.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jan 31 2016, 06:10 AM
Post #6

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Inspirational! Keep up the good work! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
tygaboy
post Jan 31 2016, 08:43 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 19,241
Region Association: Northern California

Go, man, GO! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Nothing better that seeing fresh metal in our cars. I just buttoned up my front 1/2 floor install and I guarantee you are closing in on one of the most satisfying feelings.

You clean up that last weld and switch off the grinder. Then the world around you in your shop transitions. It's like just after a wave crashes on a rocky shore and the water retreats. All shifts from the noises and other sensory inputs of violent, powerful, shape changing to the calm and quiet beauty of what's now visible. From sparks and welding sizzle and spinning electric wheels and abrasives removing metal and sparks flying to the clean lines and straight edges and non-oxidized results that you just created - with Lyle Lovett playing on the radio, if all the stars align.

Great work. And no stopping 'til you're finished, young man...

Now stop reading and get back out there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Chris
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Jan 31 2016, 01:04 PM
Post #8

Honey, does this wing make my ass look fat?

Member No.: 13,704

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Jan 31 2016, 07:46 PM
Post #9

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I am really bummed today. Wanted to continue what I started yesterday, but work and snow storm interfered...got nothing done, now will have to wait until next weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)
+Quote Post
iankarr
post Jan 31 2016, 08:21 PM
Post #10

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

I vote for chris as the poet laureate of 914World.
+Quote Post
cary
post Feb 1 2016, 09:53 AM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jan 31 2016, 06:21 PM) *

Ditto ........... He hit it dead on

You clean up that last weld and switch off the grinder. Then the world around you in your shop transitions. It's like just after a wave crashes on a rocky shore and the water retreats. All shifts from the noises and other sensory inputs of violent, powerful, shape changing to the calm and quiet beauty of what's now visible. From sparks and welding sizzle and spinning electric wheels and abrasives removing metal and sparks flying to the clean lines and straight edges and non-oxidized results that you just created - with Lyle Lovett playing on the radio, if all the stars align.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Feb 1 2016, 11:23 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(cary @ Feb 1 2016, 08:53 AM) *

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Jan 31 2016, 06:21 PM) *

Ditto ........... He hit it dead on

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
Garland
post Feb 1 2016, 11:52 AM
Post #13

Restoration Fanatic

Member No.: 1,535
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Great job, keep it up! after the weather changes.
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Feb 1 2016, 09:52 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Garland @ Feb 1 2016, 10:52 AM) *

Great job, keep it up! after the weather changes.

I will Garland, problem is the darn storm is getting worse by the hour, plus that evil thing they call a job keeps getting in my way....lol. But since retirement is looming close on the horizon, I will certainly be spending alot more time with my beloved 914's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Feb 5 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #15

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) So didn't get any work done on the car today. Had to dig a walk path from the house to the garage and shovel the snow away from the door just to get in. Decided it was a shopping day, went and bought a media blaster and some other small items. Then I was hungry so made dinner and now its beer time.

I do have the donor rear end so will start on that tomorrow
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Feb 6 2016, 06:31 PM
Post #16

So I went out this morning thinking this was going to be a quick day of removing the rear wall from the donor piece....not so...with a temp of 25 degrees and no heater in the garage it took the entire day. Damn how many spot welds did Porsche put on these damn things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Here is the donor rear piece. It is from a later model so will have to fill the bumper mounting holes, but it is in excellent shape.
Attached Image

Started by removing the floor portion of the clip. Have to take a lot of time so I don't cut through or damage the wall.
Attached Image

Two sets of welds on each side where it attaches to the structures underneath...Attached Image

Then work on the welds along the rear wall. Cut all welds from the inside so there would be no holes across the rear wall...
Attached Image

The floor portion is out and now to remove all of the under structures and the corner pieces....hopefully without damaging the wall.
Attached Image

8 hours later I finally did get all but 1 corner removed. Will see if I can finish it tomorrow...Temp is dropping again and it is just too cold to work. Will fit in the rest hopefully before the Super Bowl.
Attached Image

And now....you got it....it is definitely BEER time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Feb 7 2016, 10:38 AM
Post #17

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Feb 7 2016, 02:05 PM
Post #18

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) Went back out and finished what I started yesterday. It was a bit warmer today and go figure, things seemed to go a bit smoother (and quicker).

Now I have a clean, straight rear wall...
Attached Image

And no major issued with drilling through ....
Attached Image

Now just a matter of prepping the back of the car and the trunk floor to install this, first I think I will media blast it. Gives me a chance to try out my new blaster.

For now its time to have some beer and go watch the Super Bowl. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
whitetwinturbo
post Feb 8 2016, 11:16 AM
Post #19

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Mar 8 2016, 09:17 PM
Post #20

So, things have slowed a bit with work and the start of NASCAR. But Sunday I decided to do some more cutting. I didn't like the way the new floor was fitting between the sides and upon inspection found even more improperly repaired damage. (some people should not own tools). This is what the right side looks like...yikes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
Decided I would start with the outside lower corner since I am limited on time, (race starts in an hour).
Attached Image
Attached Image

After closer examination I found I could use the remainder of the donor corner from which I cut the rear wall...at least on the passenger side. I may have to cut the drivers side from the other donor car I bought awhile back. The inner wall on the right side may have to come out of that car as well.

First I cut out the metal where the horrible weld job was done by the PO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Attached Image

Then I carefully cut the same part from the left over donor corner (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
Attached Image

And after some very careful trimming I have a piece that fit very nicely.
Attached Image (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

Started cutting some other recoverable portions of the donor corner, but due to the 10,000 spot welds they put into these, I ran out of time....So it is beer time and Race time.....Never work on the 914 post race as usually too much beer is consumed....see you all next week
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 04:49 PM