Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How I made my windshield valence
Bill's Racing 914
post Feb 2 2016, 12:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,064
Region Association: None

I made the original shape out of 2inch thick yellow wall insulation foam I bought at Home Depot. You can see the outline in the plaster mold.

I used the glass windshield I removed from the car as the guide for the knife I used to cut the leading edge radius.

To make the mold, I used 5 layers of plaster of paris and reinforced with red shop rags.

To finish the surface, I applied a thin layer of CUZ blue body filler and sanded with 80 grit sandpaper and a sanding block to keep it from coming out wavey. Then I applied six to seven coats of sandable body primer. I used 320 grit sand paper to wet sand each layer with a sanding block. It came out looking like grey gelcoat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Cory M
post Feb 2 2016, 02:48 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,798

Looks good. Appears to provide more room in the cab and for your hands than the Ginther screens I've seen.
+Quote Post
Bill's Racing 914
post Feb 2 2016, 10:07 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Cory M @ Feb 2 2016, 12:48 PM) *

Looks good. Appears to provide more room in the cab and for your hands than the Ginther screens I've seen.

Yep, I made that room for my hands on purpose. Plus I had to make room for the oil idiot light and the shift light.

I plan on extending back a cover over the passenger side all the way top the firewall to improve airflow to the engine. This is legal in VARA racing. All the fast British cars (Spitfires, MGB's, etc.) in E and D production are set up like this.
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 4 2016, 12:34 AM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

The problem is that some of the old rules require a tansluscent wind screen. Thus svra adopted that requirement
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bill's Racing 914
post Feb 4 2016, 10:06 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(brant @ Feb 3 2016, 10:34 PM) *

The problem is that some of the old rules require a tansluscent wind screen. Thus svra adopted that requirement

Here is 914-6 racing at Willow Springs with VARA with a similar design...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 07:25 PM