Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Flywheel & Pressure Plate Question, Is there any hope for these?
saigon71
post Feb 3 2016, 02:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My clutch has never been the best...think I discovered why. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I gave my flywheel & pressure plate a close inspection today. Both show an odd discoloration. The best way I can describe it is "blotches."

There is an odd wear pattern on my flywheel. The outer edge of contact point with the clutch (indicated with red sharpie line) is worn down .030 more than the rest. Can the mating surface of the flywheel be machined, or is this flywheel trash?

Any hope for this pressure plate? Aside from the "blotchy" look, it is very smooth. I ran a straight edge across it. It is slightly convex, but I'm not sure how new ones are.

Thanks.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Feb 3 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #2

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

Bob - I have a 1.7 short block that's supposed to be in very good condition. If you need any parts or want the whole enchalada, it's yours. $n/c

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 3 2016, 04:01 PM
Post #3

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(saigon71 @ Feb 3 2016, 03:31 PM) *

My clutch has never been the best...think I discovered why. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I gave my flywheel & pressure plate a close inspection today. Both show an odd discoloration. The best way I can describe it is "blotches."

There is an odd wear pattern on my flywheel. The outer edge of contact point with the clutch (indicated with red sharpie line) is worn down .030 more than the rest. Can the mating surface of the flywheel be machined, or is this flywheel trash?

Any hope for this pressure plate? Aside from the "blotchy" look, it is very smooth. I ran a straight edge across it. It is slightly convex, but I'm not sure how new ones are.

Thanks.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Find the flywheel specification diagram, its on about 50 threads here.
measure yours...if it can be cut, do it.

The pressure plate, it may have been the issue all along.
its a spring that wears out....

Both look contaminated with oil, and burned.

Rich
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Feb 4 2016, 03:27 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 10,428

QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 3 2016, 03:43 PM) *

Bob - I have a 1.7 short block that's supposed to be in very good condition. If you need any parts or want the whole enchalada, it's yours. $n/c

PM sent on that flywheel. Question for the world...are all /4 flywheels the same (1.7, 1.8, 2.0)?

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Feb 4 2016, 06:01 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

I agree with Rich, as usual. Those are hot spots, which is bad, particularly on a pressure plate. I had a Mustang which had a bad pressure plate which manifested itself as a bad clutch. It sucked to have put it all back together with a new friction disc when it was the PP all long. Solution is as above, measure the flywheel for machinable depth and replace pressure plate. Don't forget when you have the flywheel machined that you'll likely need to shim the clutch fork pivot ball when it all goes back together.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 4 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #6

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 4 2016, 07:01 PM) *

I agree with Rich, as usual. Those are hot spots, which is bad, particularly on a pressure plate. I had a Mustang which had a bad pressure plate which manifested itself as a bad clutch. It sucked to have put it all back together with a new friction disc when it was the PP all long. Solution is as above, measure the flywheel for machinable depth and replace pressure plate. Don't forget when you have the flywheel machined that you'll likely need to shim the clutch fork pivot ball when it all goes back together.

Yup.

You machine the friction face
You machine the step face that the pressure plate sits on, so the relationship between the two is the same as stock.
You find out from the machine shop what they took off and you remove th clutch fork pivot ball and put the same amount of,shim under that ball,,,typically it's one or two washers
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 4 2016, 10:06 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

A new PP, throw out bearing, and clutch on eBay is under $350. All new Sachs German stuff. Just get all new and re cut the flywheel if it can take it.

Why mess around with junk?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 07:48 AM