Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel & Pressure Plate Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
My clutch has never been the best...think I discovered why. dry.gif

I gave my flywheel & pressure plate a close inspection today. Both show an odd discoloration. The best way I can describe it is "blotches."

There is an odd wear pattern on my flywheel. The outer edge of contact point with the clutch (indicated with red sharpie line) is worn down .030 more than the rest. Can the mating surface of the flywheel be machined, or is this flywheel trash?

Any hope for this pressure plate? Aside from the "blotchy" look, it is very smooth. I ran a straight edge across it. It is slightly convex, but I'm not sure how new ones are.

Thanks.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mepstein
Bob - I have a 1.7 short block that's supposed to be in very good condition. If you need any parts or want the whole enchalada, it's yours. $n/c
r_towle
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Feb 3 2016, 03:31 PM) *

My clutch has never been the best...think I discovered why. dry.gif

I gave my flywheel & pressure plate a close inspection today. Both show an odd discoloration. The best way I can describe it is "blotches."

There is an odd wear pattern on my flywheel. The outer edge of contact point with the clutch (indicated with red sharpie line) is worn down .030 more than the rest. Can the mating surface of the flywheel be machined, or is this flywheel trash?

Any hope for this pressure plate? Aside from the "blotchy" look, it is very smooth. I ran a straight edge across it. It is slightly convex, but I'm not sure how new ones are.

Thanks.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Find the flywheel specification diagram, its on about 50 threads here.
measure yours...if it can be cut, do it.

The pressure plate, it may have been the issue all along.
its a spring that wears out....

Both look contaminated with oil, and burned.

Rich
saigon71
QUOTE(mepstein @ Feb 3 2016, 03:43 PM) *

Bob - I have a 1.7 short block that's supposed to be in very good condition. If you need any parts or want the whole enchalada, it's yours. $n/c

PM sent on that flywheel. Question for the world...are all /4 flywheels the same (1.7, 1.8, 2.0)?

ThePaintedMan
I agree with Rich, as usual. Those are hot spots, which is bad, particularly on a pressure plate. I had a Mustang which had a bad pressure plate which manifested itself as a bad clutch. It sucked to have put it all back together with a new friction disc when it was the PP all long. Solution is as above, measure the flywheel for machinable depth and replace pressure plate. Don't forget when you have the flywheel machined that you'll likely need to shim the clutch fork pivot ball when it all goes back together.
r_towle
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Feb 4 2016, 07:01 PM) *

I agree with Rich, as usual. Those are hot spots, which is bad, particularly on a pressure plate. I had a Mustang which had a bad pressure plate which manifested itself as a bad clutch. It sucked to have put it all back together with a new friction disc when it was the PP all long. Solution is as above, measure the flywheel for machinable depth and replace pressure plate. Don't forget when you have the flywheel machined that you'll likely need to shim the clutch fork pivot ball when it all goes back together.

Yup.

You machine the friction face
You machine the step face that the pressure plate sits on, so the relationship between the two is the same as stock.
You find out from the machine shop what they took off and you remove th clutch fork pivot ball and put the same amount of,shim under that ball,,,typically it's one or two washers
Larmo63
A new PP, throw out bearing, and clutch on eBay is under $350. All new Sachs German stuff. Just get all new and re cut the flywheel if it can take it.

Why mess around with junk?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.