Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another stripping/painting question, Doing just the engine compartment
dmilzoff
post Mar 20 2005, 09:46 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 377

I am having the engine removed and replaced next week. I want to strip repaint the engine compartment while it's out (at the mechanic's shop - outdoors). The car was repainted once and it has the original orange paint showing through the peeling blue car color.
I want to keep it simple and also not make a mess of the area. It is also only the engine compartment so it doesn't need to be a show paint finish. Is a rough sanding then using POR OK or will I be totally unhappy with the result?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
riverman
post Mar 20 2005, 10:54 AM
Post #2

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

Why not strip the paint - either with a chemical stripper (easier, but fumy) or with a wire cup brush on the grinder (more work, but can be done) - so that you can see what shape the metal is like underneath. This will probably be the best time to ever do this. Then you can treat the metal with a rust converter and then cover with POR-15 or similar.

I look at it as short term pain for long term gain and you'll be happy with the result in the end.
+Quote Post
mharrison
post Mar 20 2005, 10:59 AM
Post #3

Why do I bother????

Member No.: 1,123

I would suggest that you have it sandblaster after covering the heater tubes and the area where the shift linkage and fuel lines enter the center tunnel. That will make quick work of it, take it to bare metal, and have it ready for primer.

I would think that there are enough nooks and crannies in the engine compartment to make chemicaly stripping it a real pain in the @$$.
+Quote Post
riverman
post Mar 20 2005, 11:07 AM
Post #4

Learn As I Go

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (mharrison @ Mar 20 2005, 11:59 AM)
I would suggest that you have it sandblaster after covering the heater tubes and the area where the shift linkage and fuel lines enter the center tunnel. That will make quick work of it, take it to bare metal, and have it ready for primer.

I would think that there are enough nooks and crannies in the engine compartment to make chemicaly stripping it a real pain in the @$$.

I agree, sandblasting is the easiest way once you get prepared, but in many areas (Ontario, Canada for one) sandblasting is only suppossed to be done by a licenced person for environmental reasons. Although, chemicals may be more harmful to the environment in the long run, it can be done legally and easily in one's own garage. Just be careful how you dispose of the waste.
+Quote Post
dmilzoff
post Mar 20 2005, 11:18 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 377

The car will be at my mechanic's shop without the engine. It will not be easy (or inexpensive) to take it somewhere to sandblast it. And I don't want to make a mess at someone else's shop. I guess wire brushing would be the least offensive to the mechanic.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Mar 20 2005, 11:29 AM
Post #6

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

protect the wiring, degrease it, wire wheel and 3-M pads to rough it up and clean the loose stuff, another degrease, rust treatment(por-15, osphoric acid, Mar-hyde), self etching primer, and a couple of finish coats. if you have a color code for the paint an auto body supply store can load rattle cans with paint for you. now is a good time to lose the sound pad. not knowing how far your mechanic is from your house, or how long the engine will be out, a tow home and back might be a good investment.

k
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 12:18 AM