Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another stripping/painting question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dmilzoff
I am having the engine removed and replaced next week. I want to strip repaint the engine compartment while it's out (at the mechanic's shop - outdoors). The car was repainted once and it has the original orange paint showing through the peeling blue car color.
I want to keep it simple and also not make a mess of the area. It is also only the engine compartment so it doesn't need to be a show paint finish. Is a rough sanding then using POR OK or will I be totally unhappy with the result?
riverman
Why not strip the paint - either with a chemical stripper (easier, but fumy) or with a wire cup brush on the grinder (more work, but can be done) - so that you can see what shape the metal is like underneath. This will probably be the best time to ever do this. Then you can treat the metal with a rust converter and then cover with POR-15 or similar.

I look at it as short term pain for long term gain and you'll be happy with the result in the end.
mharrison
I would suggest that you have it sandblaster after covering the heater tubes and the area where the shift linkage and fuel lines enter the center tunnel. That will make quick work of it, take it to bare metal, and have it ready for primer.

I would think that there are enough nooks and crannies in the engine compartment to make chemicaly stripping it a real pain in the @$$.
riverman
QUOTE (mharrison @ Mar 20 2005, 11:59 AM)
I would suggest that you have it sandblaster after covering the heater tubes and the area where the shift linkage and fuel lines enter the center tunnel. That will make quick work of it, take it to bare metal, and have it ready for primer.

I would think that there are enough nooks and crannies in the engine compartment to make chemicaly stripping it a real pain in the @$$.

I agree, sandblasting is the easiest way once you get prepared, but in many areas (Ontario, Canada for one) sandblasting is only suppossed to be done by a licenced person for environmental reasons. Although, chemicals may be more harmful to the environment in the long run, it can be done legally and easily in one's own garage. Just be careful how you dispose of the waste.
dmilzoff
The car will be at my mechanic's shop without the engine. It will not be easy (or inexpensive) to take it somewhere to sandblast it. And I don't want to make a mess at someone else's shop. I guess wire brushing would be the least offensive to the mechanic.
rhodyguy
protect the wiring, degrease it, wire wheel and 3-M pads to rough it up and clean the loose stuff, another degrease, rust treatment(por-15, osphoric acid, Mar-hyde), self etching primer, and a couple of finish coats. if you have a color code for the paint an auto body supply store can load rattle cans with paint for you. now is a good time to lose the sound pad. not knowing how far your mechanic is from your house, or how long the engine will be out, a tow home and back might be a good investment.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.