Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Geesh! Current Porsche Colors Mostly Suck!, Henry Ford All Over Again - Black, Black or Black!
Tom_T
post Feb 10 2016, 03:33 PM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

Geesh! Current Porsche Colors Mostly Suck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

Just venting my frustration over my now 2nd year of hunting for a Cayenne S! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

That's including wasting the first 14+/- months trying to find a 2006 CayS Titanium Edition in that 6 month only "continuation model" Iceland Silver - a light silvery blue metallic, similar to my 85 BMW 325e's Cosmos Blue. After looking at 6-10 really nice appearing low mile 28-55k mile ones - none of which could confirm if they did or werre previously had them done by a PO for the dreaded V8 plastic to metal coolant pipe update! A few other high cost predicted failure items in the Sereis 1A (or 1) 03-06 version (headlight/composite units heat failures at a $1-2k per side to replace, rear hatch strut failures at $700+ every 2-3 years, etc.).

So we've moved on to the 2008-10 Series 1A (or 2) & maybe 2011-13 of the Series 2 (or 3A) Cayenne S, where we probably should've been in the first place due to the improvements.

Preferably one with both the factory tow hitch receiver & rear camera already installed - (the latter requires Nav/PCM to also be optioned), & preferably shod with 18" or 19" or 20" factory wheels (maybe factory 21") with proper N-Spec tires.

We're not too picky on interior colors - preferring Gray or Tan, but prefer to stay away from the darker Black & Brown due to both heat & showing too much dirt easily.

Now we're not overly picky on paint colors either, since we can accept the Blue, Silver, Dark Grey, & Gold/Jarama Metallic colors just fine & maybe even White - but not the other odd & cop-attracting colors (RED! & ORANGE!).

Black is NOT favored since it's such a PITA to keep clean & looking nice .... & our CayS will primarily be towing our restored vintage 1960 Avion T20 (#2 off the line - looks like an Airstream but better!) to vintage trailer events - so black will look cruddy all the time at those!

I feel like I'm back in the 19-teens & twenties looking at Ford Model T's - you know: "You can have any color, as long as it's black!" - as ole Henry I used to say! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I mean really - how friggin' many BLACK & BLACK-on-BLACK & BLACK-on-BLACK-with-BLACKOUT-Trim did Porsche have to make!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Just not my taste all blacked out - but black with a tan interior & chrome/metal brightwork does look sharp to my eye - just not to keeping it clean!

Couldn't Porsche have offered/offer a CHOICE of decent colors!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I thought I'd found "the perfect one" in a 2-owner 45,000 mile 2008 CayS in Marine Blue on Havanna/Sahara Biege Interior with the factory rear camera, but the DAPO had "improved" it with upsized non-factory 22" wheels & non-Porsche-spec tires - both of which rears had sidewall splits in them + the 4% speedo/odometer error.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

.... Plus he had swapped out the excellent factory upgraded BOSE Audio/Nav/PCM for some supposedly "better" aftermarket unit - along with who knows what else was hacked-up on the harness since the rear camera now opend/closed every time a door opened or the key was turned - rather just opening when put in reverse & close when taken out!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

It was well cared for & maintained - but those above both prevented me from even taking a test drive (no blowouts on my dime!) nor considering it further without them all fixed (I could swap wheels/tires with another fool with a factory set later, & can get the factory tow hitch installed for $1200-2000 at a dealer).

A lesson for you folks - do NOT hack up your electrical harnesses with your "improvements" - especially not with the newer cars where all of the onboard computers, sensors, ECUs, Obi-wan-kanob-I's & -II's, etc. are linked together! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Nuff said.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you hear of a likely 2008-12-ish Cayenne S candidate in our colors etc.! TIA! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Tom_T   Geesh! Current Porsche Colors Mostly Suck!   Feb 10 2016, 03:33 PM
Darren C   Hey Tom, I totally agree with you on this one. I ...   Feb 10 2016, 04:06 PM
Racer   x100.. Gray, Silver, Black, Guards red, White too...   Feb 10 2016, 05:01 PM
Tom_T   x100.. Gray, Silver, Black, Guards red, White to...   Feb 10 2016, 05:19 PM
Tom_T   :agree: Darren & Dave! .... & I know ...   Feb 10 2016, 05:07 PM
396   Just step up and spec order one. Then your concern...   Feb 10 2016, 05:20 PM
Darren C   Here you go Tom, My old Cayenne, as I said I gave...   Feb 10 2016, 05:33 PM
Tom_T   Thanx Darren - cool! PS - I like the SS DeL...   Feb 10 2016, 06:12 PM
396   Tom, so sorry for bad info on unchange for color c...   Feb 10 2016, 06:23 PM
Tom_T   Tom, so sorry for bad info on unchange for color ...   Feb 10 2016, 06:51 PM
r_towle   First off, you were 19-20 when the model a came ou...   Feb 10 2016, 07:21 PM
Tom_T   First off, you were 19-20 when the model a came o...   Feb 10 2016, 07:33 PM
Mark Henry   First off, you were 19-20 when the model a came ...   Feb 10 2016, 08:35 PM
Tom_T   I believe Ford's line was "You can have ...   Feb 11 2016, 12:29 AM
Racer   Model T - 1908-1927. In fact, there were some ot...   Feb 10 2016, 09:02 PM
Tom_T   Model T - 1908-1927. In fact, there were some o...   Feb 11 2016, 12:35 AM
ripper911   Bright cayenne on eBay. http://pages.ebay.com/mot...   Feb 10 2016, 09:12 PM
Tom_T   Bright cayenne on eBay. http://pages.ebay.com/mo...   Feb 11 2016, 12:25 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 04:07 AM