Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Momo wheel and boss purchase / install questions
dale73914
post Feb 12 2016, 03:51 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,562
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Hey All,

I recently purchased a Momo Prototipo and fitted it using a boss i bought ages ago.
I didnt realise until i unpacked it that the boss was very basic, had no signal cancel / horn components ( expecting me to disassemble and reuse the parts from my current wheel ), and was a bad fit around the column ( it left a 1/2 inch gap ).
Oh, and the horn button didnt fit as the boss nor wheel came with a horn trim ring.

So what to do, i jumped on ebay and bought myself a MOMO MC8002 boss, and going by the photo in the ad, i was expecting it to look like the one in the ad, trim ring, wider boss body ( even if it was just plastic around a metal frame ) , and going by photo's on the web, the cancel extension was cast in, and a trim ring supplied.

It turned up today, and im not sure if i have what i should have.
The boss that arrived is an MOMO A8002 and is very basic like my original one, expecting me to disassemble my existing wheel for parts... Not what i really wanted to do.

If all that is available is what they sent me , and the model numbers mean nothing, then fine, im not really happy, but what is...is....

If they have sent me a different ( older maybe ) version, then i would like to know, so i can email them and see what can be done.

The Momo one i have does have one plus over the crappy Isotta one i bought ages ago, the Momo horn button fits in the hole properly.

Now, next questions.

Im assuming i cut the wire running from the horn contact ring to the horn button and put a spade connector on the end , so i can get the horn working ? What happens to the other connector, will the boss carry the current ( if i earth it up against the boss by jamming the wire end between the boss and the horn button plastic body ?

If i didnt want to cut my existing contact ring, can i buy a replacement one and leave my original steering wheel intact ? At a cheapish price ? Im in Australia, so online purchases are my friend.....

Any help with tips to make installing it smooth sailing would be appreciated, i like doing things once, and properly ...

Cheers

Dale

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Feb 12 2016, 04:13 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(dale73914 @ Feb 12 2016, 02:51 AM) *

Hey All,

I recently purchased a Momo Prototipo and fitted it using a boss i bought ages ago.
I didnt realise until i unpacked it that the boss was very basic, had no signal cancel / horn components ( expecting me to disassemble and reuse the parts from my current wheel ), and was a bad fit around the column ( it left a 1/2 inch gap ).
Oh, and the horn button didnt fit as the boss nor wheel came with a horn trim ring.

So what to do, i jumped on ebay and bought myself a MOMO MC8002 boss, and going by the photo in the ad, i was expecting it to look like the one in the ad, trim ring, wider boss body ( even if it was just plastic around a metal frame ) , and going by photo's on the web, the cancel extension was cast in, and a trim ring supplied.

It turned up today, and im not sure if i have what i should have.
The boss that arrived is an MOMO A8002 and is very basic like my original one, expecting me to disassemble my existing wheel for parts... Not what i really wanted to do.

If all that is available is what they sent me , and the model numbers mean nothing, then fine, im not really happy, but what is...is....

If they have sent me a different ( older maybe ) version, then i would like to know, so i can email them and see what can be done.

The Momo one i have does have one plus over the crappy Isotta one i bought ages ago, the Momo horn button fits in the hole properly.

Now, next questions.

Im assuming i cut the wire running from the horn contact ring to the horn button and put a spade connector on the end , so i can get the horn working ? What happens to the other connector, will the boss carry the current ( if i earth it up against the boss by jamming the wire end between the boss and the horn button plastic body ?

If i didnt want to cut my existing contact ring, can i buy a replacement one and leave my original steering wheel intact ? At a cheapish price ? Im in Australia, so online purchases are my friend.....

Any help with tips to make installing it smooth sailing would be appreciated, i like doing things once, and properly ...

Cheers

Dale

8002 is the part number listed for the 914. I do believe just looking at your pics that it is an older version however.
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 12 2016, 08:39 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

I was wondering the same, the pictures advertised are differnt then what 8002 version was shipped to me also. So which is the old model, the accordion looking one or the solid one ??
+Quote Post
gms
post Feb 12 2016, 08:55 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 12 2016, 08:39 AM) *

So which is the old model, the accordion looking one or the solid one ??

accordion is the new version
+Quote Post
Coondog
post Feb 12 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 19,195
Region Association: Southern California

Well that's sucks, maybe that's why I couldn't get my quick release hub to fit. Also when I make a hard right hand turn the horn beeps !!!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 12 2016, 09:36 AM
Post #6

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 12 2016, 11:11 AM) *

Well that's sucks, maybe that's why I couldn't get my quick release hub to fit. Also when I make a hard right hand turn the horn beeps !!!

Join NASCAR??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Feb 12 2016, 09:40 AM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234

Late '73 column ...

Attached Image

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-12234-1397330186.jpg)
+Quote Post
Puebloswatcop
post Feb 12 2016, 07:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 18,258
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(gms @ Feb 12 2016, 07:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Coondog @ Feb 12 2016, 08:39 AM) *

So which is the old model, the accordion looking one or the solid one ??

accordion is the new version

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The accordion style is the newer style, it is designed to collapse in an impact. Not sure how much better the fit or adaptability is.
+Quote Post
dale73914
post Feb 15 2016, 04:24 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 13,562
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Feb 13 2016, 02:40 AM) *

Thanks Guys,

Yes, this is the one I have.

So it looks like I was ordering the accordion style , but was sent to older style.

At least I know whats going on.

Will keep what I have, from the pics the fit looks like it will be good.

Just need to work out how to get the horn working.

Cheers

Dale

+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Feb 15 2016, 04:40 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have the smooth hub too. I like it better. It's a real clean look. I think I used a modified brass tab to connect the horn button without cutting the harness. The ground should flow though hub. The momo horn button should be a snug fit.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
pete000
post Feb 15 2016, 06:29 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

I have the solid non collapsible version in my 74. You use the stock horn canceling ring.

I also thought the solid one was old but I am no so sure. I haven't seen the collapsible one on a 914 other than my 1970 six which I think is a 911 hub?
+Quote Post
Valy
post Feb 16 2016, 09:43 AM
Post #12

Member No.: 11,573

I'm surprised no one mentioned it till now but there are 2 different Momo adapters for early and late columns. I think that '72 was the year it changed. I'm not talking about the harmonic design that was later introduced for the late model only.
The cancel ring must be taken from your original steering wheel. Momo doesn't sell them in any way.
The horn button should fit nicely, I don't remember cutting any wires.

The late adapter should fit on both early and late columns but the early column will have an ugly gap.
The early adapter doesn't fit on the late column as it interferes with the signal and wipers levers (ask me how I know).
If you're lucky to have an early adapter in your hand, they are NLA and go for $$$ like $200-$300.
+Quote Post
pete000
post Feb 16 2016, 03:32 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 12,094
Region Association: South East States

Good info !

I have the early solid version on my 74 fits perfectly.

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 16 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #14

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Steuseed- That is a beautiful steering wheel you have there.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:12 PM