Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1971 Ignition switch what to use, 1971 914-4 Frankenstein
mikesjunk
post Feb 17 2016, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,423
Region Association: None

So my ignition switch/tumbler is out being un-Frankensteined by Dan Roman and getting some new keys to boot. In the process I'm going to need a new switch, electrical part. My research shows no real replacement for the 1971s and the feedback from Dan was there are two choices a 4 wire VW or a 6 wire VW. My original switch had 4 wires, only 3 were hooked up.

So here's what I have. I believe the column is original as best as I can tell. It has a 14 pin connector. So as wired prior to removal only 3 wires were being used. Which would be 12V in, 12V keyed and start. On the harness side I have 5 wires. Plus I have an additional grey wire coming from the column not part of the 14 pin harness(seen at top of photo).

I'm guessing the 4 wire VW gets me what I need(but not fully original) so any suggestions.

Below the blue/brown and the yellow/black weren't hooked up to anything. (bottom two) If anyone knows right off what these are it would be appreciated as the wiring diagram, even blown up larger, it still a challenge.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1455749176.1.jpg)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
pdlightning
post Feb 17 2016, 10:59 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,660
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mikesjunk @ Feb 17 2016, 02:46 PM) *

So my ignition switch/tumbler is out being un-Frankensteined by Dan Roman and getting some new keys to boot. In the process I'm going to need a new switch, electrical part. My research shows no real replacement for the 1971s and the feedback from Dan was there are two choices a 4 wire VW or a 6 wire VW. My original switch had 4 wires, only 3 were hooked up.

So here's what I have. I believe the column is original as best as I can tell. It has a 14 pin connector. So as wired prior to removal only 3 wires were being used. Which would be 12V in, 12V keyed and start. On the harness side I have 5 wires. Plus I have an additional grey wire coming from the column not part of the 14 pin harness(seen at top of photo).

I'm guessing the 4 wire VW gets me what I need(but not fully original) so any suggestions.

Below the blue/brown and the yellow/black weren't hooked up to anything. (bottom two) If anyone knows right off what these are it would be appreciated as the wiring diagram, even blown up larger, it still a challenge.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.mikesjunk.com-19423-1455749176.1.jpg)

The replacement units have been type 3 only for the 914. It is a one year item. Some people have had switches that are 5 wire stock and the aftermarket units are 4 wires. On my 71, people say to replace the column and the switch to a later model. I am in the same boat and thinking the later model steering column might be the way to go!

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 07:23 PM