Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1971 Ignition switch what to use
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikesjunk
So my ignition switch/tumbler is out being un-Frankensteined by Dan Roman and getting some new keys to boot. In the process I'm going to need a new switch, electrical part. My research shows no real replacement for the 1971s and the feedback from Dan was there are two choices a 4 wire VW or a 6 wire VW. My original switch had 4 wires, only 3 were hooked up.

So here's what I have. I believe the column is original as best as I can tell. It has a 14 pin connector. So as wired prior to removal only 3 wires were being used. Which would be 12V in, 12V keyed and start. On the harness side I have 5 wires. Plus I have an additional grey wire coming from the column not part of the 14 pin harness(seen at top of photo).

I'm guessing the 4 wire VW gets me what I need(but not fully original) so any suggestions.

Below the blue/brown and the yellow/black weren't hooked up to anything. (bottom two) If anyone knows right off what these are it would be appreciated as the wiring diagram, even blown up larger, it still a challenge.

IPB Image

pdlightning
QUOTE(mikesjunk @ Feb 17 2016, 02:46 PM) *

So my ignition switch/tumbler is out being un-Frankensteined by Dan Roman and getting some new keys to boot. In the process I'm going to need a new switch, electrical part. My research shows no real replacement for the 1971s and the feedback from Dan was there are two choices a 4 wire VW or a 6 wire VW. My original switch had 4 wires, only 3 were hooked up.

So here's what I have. I believe the column is original as best as I can tell. It has a 14 pin connector. So as wired prior to removal only 3 wires were being used. Which would be 12V in, 12V keyed and start. On the harness side I have 5 wires. Plus I have an additional grey wire coming from the column not part of the 14 pin harness(seen at top of photo).

I'm guessing the 4 wire VW gets me what I need(but not fully original) so any suggestions.

Below the blue/brown and the yellow/black weren't hooked up to anything. (bottom two) If anyone knows right off what these are it would be appreciated as the wiring diagram, even blown up larger, it still a challenge.

IPB Image

The replacement units have been type 3 only for the 914. It is a one year item. Some people have had switches that are 5 wire stock and the aftermarket units are 4 wires. On my 71, people say to replace the column and the switch to a later model. I am in the same boat and thinking the later model steering column might be the way to go!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.