Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hi, I'm new here. Checking in.
EdwardBlume
post Feb 22 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #21

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

It starts with the dream of driving one.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Feb 22 2016, 07:53 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 19,670
Region Association: None

Is that the same car still listed on craigslist as "Sale Pending?"

Like the Gold Metallic Paint!
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Feb 22 2016, 08:43 PM
Post #23

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) I knew you would make your way over here. This is hands down the world's best 914 site. No other site compares for our cars. Tons of knowledgable people here who will eagerly help out and offer good, solid, well thought out advice.

Look for rust, rust and more rust. You need to know that is what kills these cars and these projects. Better to know up front the extent of the rust you will have to address so you can budget for it.

I believe, as do most of the people here, that you correct rust the right way so it is done once and you never have to deal with it again. After that, it is all cake.

We see the occasional hack repair job on these cars from previous owners and it is always sad to see. Have a plan and work the plan. That will keep you from getting overwhelmed and lost.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Feb 22 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 10,510

Wow, that thing finally sold? It had been for sale locally for a long long time. Good luck with the project!
+Quote Post
DCJosh
post Feb 22 2016, 10:57 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 19,697
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 22 2016, 09:13 PM) *

Wow, that thing finally sold? It had been for sale locally for a long long time. Good luck with the project!

Yes, it is knee deep in a pole barn southeast of the cities. Surrounded by a graveyard of MG's and Austins. Not a bad collection, but the guy will never get to them all. I can't even get mine out until the snow melts and he can move some cars out of the way.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Feb 22 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #26

You certainly have a lot of work ahead of you! Take your time and do it right.
+Quote Post
bretth
post Feb 22 2016, 11:22 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 18,882
Region Association: Southwest Region

Nice car. What is typed on the old school labels stuck on the firewall? Haven't seen those in quite a while.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Brett
+Quote Post
DCJosh
post Feb 23 2016, 08:39 AM
Post #28

QUOTE(bretth @ Feb 22 2016, 11:22 PM) *

Nice car. What is typed on the old school labels stuck on the firewall? Haven't seen those in quite a while.

Brett

A previous owner labeled the correct oil type and spark plug size and other various information about maintenance items. I always like seeing things like that.
+Quote Post
aharder
post Feb 23 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,524
Region Association: Southwest Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 23 2016, 10:29 AM
Post #30

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(DCJosh @ Feb 22 2016, 11:57 PM) *

QUOTE(iwanta914-6 @ Feb 22 2016, 09:13 PM) *

Yes, it is knee deep in a pole barn southeast of the cities. Surrounded by a graveyard of MG's and Austins. Not a bad collection, but the guy will never get to them all. I can't even get mine out until the snow melts and he can move some cars out of the way.

since you are in mankato, can i ask, was the pole barn on the way from Mankato to New Ulm?? if so i might know the property owners (our family farm is about 20 miles from Mankato. I knew a guy that had 2 barns full of MG's , VW's And Austins out that way. He had a shop there and guys would bring stuff from all over to get worked on by him. ( worked on my '69 austin healey).

+Quote Post
iankarr
post Feb 23 2016, 10:38 AM
Post #31

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 22 2016, 09:43 PM) *

Have a plan and work the plan. That will keep you from getting overwhelmed and lost.

I couldn't agree more. It's way better to imagine what you want your car to be and then work backwards from that, than to buy a load of parts and realize later that you wanted to take things in a different direction. By that time, the parts won't be returnable. Also, having a plan will let you track your progress and keep you honest about getting the car back on the road.

One other piece of advice...if, when you completely tear down the car, you realize that you're in over your head, or it will cost too much to repair, it's WAY better to part it out and use the dough to look for another car in better shape. You'll be on the road much sooner. The peeps on this forum can help you make that call.

Not saying that will happen. I like to see as may 914s saved as possible...just that it's really important to be objective. Hard to do when you have the 914 obsession.
+Quote Post
DCJosh
post Feb 23 2016, 11:33 AM
Post #32

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 23 2016, 10:29 AM) *

since you are in mankato, can i ask, was the pole barn on the way from Mankato to New Ulm?? if so i might know the property owners (our family farm is about 20 miles from Mankato. I knew a guy that had 2 barns full of MG's , VW's And Austins out that way. He had a shop there and guys would bring stuff from all over to get worked on by him. ( worked on my '69 austin healey).

No, it is south of the cities in Shakopee.
+Quote Post
DCJosh
post Feb 23 2016, 11:38 AM
Post #33

QUOTE(cuddyk @ Feb 23 2016, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Feb 22 2016, 09:43 PM) *

Have a plan and work the plan. That will keep you from getting overwhelmed and lost.

I couldn't agree more. It's way better to imagine what you want your car to be and then work backwards from that, than to buy a load of parts and realize later that you wanted to take things in a different direction. By that time, the parts won't be returnable. Also, having a plan will let you track your progress and keep you honest about getting the car back on the road.

One other piece of advice...if, when you completely tear down the car, you realize that you're in over your head, or it will cost too much to repair, it's WAY better to part it out and use the dough to look for another car in better shape. You'll be on the road much sooner. The peeps on this forum can help you make that call.

Not saying that will happen. I like to see as may 914s saved as possible...just that it's really important to be objective. Hard to do when you have the 914 obsession.

I will hopefully get into it with more detail this weekend. I want to put it on jackstands and take the wheels off and put tires on it that can at least hold air and I can roll it out of the barn.

Once it is in daylight and I can clean it off, the plan is to asses the fuel system and address the bodywork which includes the front fender and any rust that may be present (rockers and battery tray). This will not be a full on concourse restoration, but I would like to get it to a point where it can safely be driven on the road. Get it to a Cars and Coffee event in Minneapolis by next spring (2017).
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 23 2016, 01:20 PM
Post #34

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(DCJosh @ Feb 22 2016, 05:21 PM) *

The rocker panels are in bad shape, but there does not seem to be any rust that goes through any of the panels. DC Josh

first.... Welcome!
and second, I hope I don't come across as negative
thrilled to have you here

usually the rockers looking like that will be an indicator of major rust through the longitudinal and thousands of dollars (or hours if you do it yourself) worth of work

its doable
but it may also indicate that its cheaper to buy a different car
get the rockers off and a screw driver in the longs and hell hole.
the metal patch panels add up quick $$$
but its all doable if you have the time

again, sorry if this comes off as negative
not trying to be... only trying to be informative
brant
+Quote Post
914time
post Feb 23 2016, 02:00 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 17,750

Welcome!

Glad to see someone finally bought that 914.

Give Rick Ollah in Duluth a call. He'll help you repair the rust or at least point you in the right direction if you need. He is on the forum here as well. Evil 914 is his handle IIRC.
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Feb 23 2016, 02:22 PM
Post #36

This car has popped up on my local searches for what seems like the last year or more. I always thought it was yellow, I had no idea it was gold metallic. It's a great color. I honestly hope this can be saved. Even getting it to a "driver" level I can't believe will be cheap or quick.

It's good that you have a goal to get it to a CnC in 2017. That should keep you motivated. There are a few here that attend, Chappy and his turbo beast comes to mind.
+Quote Post
DCJosh
post Feb 23 2016, 07:42 PM
Post #37

Anyone from Minnesota who has posted, have you seen the car in person as well?

Were any of you looking to buy it? Did anything turn you away?

In any case, I'm going up to see it this weekend and pull the injectors so that I can service them and put it on some jack stands while I put some new tires on so I can roll it out of the barn. I'll bring a screwdriver and a better camera and really take a look at the longs then.

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I have seen other cars in the build threads which started off in much worse condition, so my fingers are crossed at least.

DC Josh
+Quote Post
iwanta914-6
post Feb 23 2016, 08:01 PM
Post #38

I never saw it in person. Nothing in the ad or pictures made me curious about it. The fact that it's a Minnesota car with salt in the winter and humidity in the summer made me think it was a rusted out junker destined for the crusher. After looking at the pictures you posted, it is in fact better than I assumed, but still a long road ahead to make it a driver. With time and money, anything can be fixed. Metallic gold is a plus, great color!

+Quote Post
DRPHIL914
post Feb 23 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #39

Dr. Phil

Member No.: 11,106
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(DCJosh @ Feb 23 2016, 12:33 PM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Feb 23 2016, 10:29 AM) *

No, it is south of the cities in Shakopee.

Not the same place that I knew but not far away either.
About the car, if it runs that's a start, I bought a non running car 6 years ago, 75 copper metallic 75. It's a fun project just know you have a lot a head of you but if you can wrench and weld it's worth saving. Values are going up enough to save cars like this. Good luck. Hope you keep us updated on your progress!

+Quote Post
Gunn1
post Feb 24 2016, 11:12 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 19,670

QUOTE(DCJosh @ Feb 23 2016, 07:42 PM) *

Anyone from Minnesota who has posted, have you seen the car in person as well?

Were any of you looking to buy it? Did anything turn you away?

In any case, I'm going up to see it this weekend and pull the injectors so that I can service them and put it on some jack stands while I put some new tires on so I can roll it out of the barn. I'll bring a screwdriver and a better camera and really take a look at the longs then.

Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. I have seen other cars in the build threads which started off in much worse condition, so my fingers are crossed at least.

DC Josh

Hey Josh, from one Newbie to another I looked at it twice, months ago....It was very difficult to look at because of all the cars packed around it and the lighting, that's why I went back the second time.

The second time I brought a spotlight and looked at everything much closer than the first time. My observations were the car had been painted before, with the Jambs and inside both the trunks being original. Really liked the color though. While laying on my back on the dirt floor looking at the front suspension it appears that something with the torsion bars or struts is messed up, the front has no spring or rebound in it and the front beam is only about 2 inches off the floor.

Progressing towards the back of the car, the Longs under the rocker panels were in various stages of solid to rotten, some of the jack points (Doughnuts) were there and some were not. Arriving at the back it seemed about the same as the rest of the car, some solid some holes, the exhaust was loose and was tied up by wire of some sort.

The Interior, Seats were the smooth(Not the Basket weave) vinyl, sort of cracked when they were sat on. Pedal cluster felt loose not mechanically, rather mounting wise. The pressure plate may be stuck to the flywheel, or something else causing the pedal to feel like it did.

The CL pictures that were taken outside show the car to have uniform gaps between the doors, fenders (Except where the front right fender was hit) and hoods. But looking at it closer in the barn that Uniformity had gone away, especially from doors to fenders. It had a "droop" most noticeably on the passenger side, but the driver side also had some as well.

With the inability to actually put a battery in the car and "Juice" things up, and the info shared above I was reluctant to make an offer and went on to other things.

Hope this helps, by the way did I say how much I liked the color.

Good luck and keep us informed!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 11:25 AM