Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Optimusglen's build off challenge, 6-cylinders of goodness. Ready for my next cross-country trip.
ConeDodger
post Aug 9 2016, 08:27 AM
Post #121

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Apr 24 2016, 02:11 PM) *

Growing up in Minnesota and being a Met Council of Sports Car Club member, one thing I remember is that there were some rally FREAKS in SCCA. You show up with those sexy stop watches and you're going to make some friends pretty quickly...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Aug 11 2016, 07:31 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 19,709
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Two done, two to go.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c2.staticflickr.com-19709-1470965470.1.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Aug 28 2016, 02:09 PM
Post #123

All 4 wheels are now finished. Waiting on me to install the 5-lug swap and change the tires over.

More cleaning
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472414961.1.jpg)

Pulled the oil pump. Looks good and no contact between the cam rivets and pump.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472414962.2.jpg)

Camshaft, wish I could tell what is is. I was told it was swapped out with the carb install, but based on other things below it is possible that's not the case.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472414962.3.jpg)

Now for the biggest part. I tore down one of the heads and started cleaning. Put a ton of elbow grease into it. There were some marks where something bad had happened in one of the combustion chambers, but I thought that since it had been running in this state, I would just clean, reassemble, and go from there. The pic makes them look worse than they are, they're just filled with carbon still. (Bottom head in the pic below)

Then I put it all back together and started in on the second head. I spent a good 3 minutes just pulling the valves out and a light scraping and found that the passenger side head was in far worse shape. One combustion chamber looks like a 14 year old boys face, huge gouges, something was bangin around in there something fierce!

Strange part is that for both heads, the damage is on the cyl closest to the trans. Wonder what caused this...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472414962.4.jpg)

At any rate, I wasn't going to put a ton of time into cleaning this one up, looks toasted. So I messaged the local 914 guy that I've picked up a bunch of parts from and turned out that he had exactly what I need. Drove down to his place and picked these up.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472414962.5.jpg)

New heads are super clean. He was unsure of the exact history, but he had gone through it and it looks like everything was done to them. There is one exhaust stud hole that I will need to fix some threads on, but otherwise they're cherry. I'll probably pull the valves and inspect it all to be on the safe side but these are great.

Further inspection of what I have shows that I have the stock crank (66mm stroke) and that paired with the 96mm pistons means the engine is actually a 1.9 and not a 2.0. This is also what makes me fear that the factory cam is still in there... Follow my line of thought...

At some point in the cars history there was some sort of catastrophic event that caused the head damage. The event also caused significant piston and cylinder damage. The owner probably brought it to a shop and they swapped the 96mm pistons and cylinders in. The 1.7 heads still have 100mm registers for the cylinders, so they got the 96mm cylinder necked-down kits that were used back then that meant not having to machine the 1.7 heads for larger cylinders. They must have been on a budget. That's why they may not have swapped the cam. Either that or they dumped all their money in the cam, carbs, P's and C's and didn't have enough for new heads, or headwork... Who knows. If they were really on a budget I feel like they would have just done a stock set of P's and C's. For the cam, I cam probably measure the lift, may not be able to get an accurate duration measurement with the cam still in there.

So next on the project list:
-pull valves on new heads and inspect and fix exhaust stud
-reassemble new heads
-clean up block some more
-pull a rod and inspect bearing surfaces
-clean some more

Also, I'm going to try and duplicate the engine lift plate shown in the factory manuals.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472414962.6.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472414963.7.jpg)

I am aware that Tangerine sells something similar for just north of $100, but I like the idea of fabbing one myself. I'll probably take measurements off the block for the important parts, just wish someone I knew had one of the actual VW tools.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 28 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #124

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

Glenn that damage in the head was most likely caused by a broken piston ring @ some stage.
Those replacement heads look clean but ask the seller if the exhaust valves are new or used,IMO put down some cash on new ones if not you will be walking on thin ice .good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Aug 29 2016, 07:29 AM
Post #125

QUOTE(porschetub @ Aug 28 2016, 08:39 PM) *

Glenn that damage in the head was most likely caused by a broken piston ring @ some stage.
Those replacement heads look clean but ask the seller if the exhaust valves are new or used,IMO put down some cash on new ones if not you will be walking on thin ice .good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Is there something inheretly wrong with exhaust valves on these engines? I had heard bad things about failing valve seats, but this is the first I've heard of valves having issues. Care to elaborate?

I did figure that it was either piston ring bits, or maybe an exploded plug. I just can't figure out why it would happen to both of the cylinders on that end of the engine.

The carbs are ready to roll. New filters arrive today.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472477389.1.jpg)

And I picked up a set of Hella fogs with stone guards.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472477389.2.jpg)

I like the road rally style. I'll use regular horn grills and fab a bracket that comes out to mount the fogs. Easilly reversable if/when I decide not to run them anymore.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/safetystance.files.wordpress.com-19709-1472477389.3.jpg)
+Quote Post
914time
post Aug 29 2016, 08:07 AM
Post #126

Member No.: 17,750

Great work, Glenn. I appreciate your regular updates!
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Aug 29 2016, 08:19 AM
Post #127

Thanks!
+Quote Post
mbseto
post Aug 29 2016, 09:38 AM
Post #128

Member No.: 17,743
Region Association: North East States

Always good to make sure the carbs have a full charge before you put them in...
Attached Image
+Quote Post
wndsrfr
post Aug 29 2016, 11:05 AM
Post #129

Member No.: 10,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(mbseto @ Aug 29 2016, 07:38 AM) *

Always good to make sure the carbs have a full charge before you put them in...
Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Aug 31 2016, 08:37 AM
Post #130

Lookin pretty good!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472654241.1.jpg)

Last night I pulled the heads apart to inspect. If these were run at all, they were cleaned up really well after. I did a quick lap of the valves and reassembled. Lapped the cylinders into the heads too.

All the heads need now is for one of the exhaust studs to be repaired. Will probably do a stepped stud.

I looked the exhaust valves over, based on your comments.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472654468.1.jpg)
stamped with "T-TRW 3908" P.O. didn't remeber their history, so if anyone here can shed some light on if these are stock or not, I'd appreciate it.

Tonight I might hone the cylinders and then scrub them down. Getting close to reassembly!
+Quote Post
Claus Graf
post Aug 31 2016, 08:35 PM
Post #131

Member No.: 18,154

Great job! Save the Porsche!

Sincerely

Claus Graf
+Quote Post
barefoot
post Sep 1 2016, 04:58 AM
Post #132

Member No.: 15,673
Region Association: South East States

[quote name='Optimusglen' date='Aug 29 2016, 09:29 AM' post='2391588']
[quote name='porschetub' post='2391409' date='Aug 28 2016, 08:39 PM']
[/quote]

Is there something inheretly wrong with exhaust valves on these engines? I had heard bad things about failing valve seats, but this is the first I've heard of valves having issues. Care to elaborate?

I did figure that it was either piston ring bits, or maybe an exploded plug. I just can't figure out why it would happen to both of the cylinders on that end of the engine.

Not sure if all years used sodium filled exhaust valves, but my 2L had them. When I was getting ready to dis-assemble the valves, zI gave a light rap to the stems with a brass hammer to check to see if any valves were stuck, one did this:
NEVER NEVER re-use 40 year old sodium filled exhaust valves !

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Sep 1 2016, 07:27 AM
Post #133

Ah, yeah that looks bad!

The exhaust valves in the new heads looked to be brand new, and I don't believe they are original valves because of the TRW stamping (unless TRW supplied OEMs back then) So I will run what I have.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Sep 2 2016, 02:00 AM
Post #134

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Sep 2 2016, 01:27 AM) *

Ah, yeah that looks bad!

The exhaust valves in the new heads looked to be brand new, and I don't believe they are original valves because of the TRW stamping (unless TRW supplied OEMs back then) So I will run what I have.

TRW are replacements, great I like them,fairly unlikely you will have original sodium ones.
Valve guide wear has a lot to do with exhaust valve breakage in VW engines,if the guide is badly worn there is poor heat transfer into the head casting ,the heat stays in the valve and repeat excessive heat cycling causes it to break.
The seats come loose as a result of the above issues and overheating that's why many won't rebuilt old heads anymore.
My machine shop won't touch them anymore but they still do type 1 heads,they don't do welding on any of them after having issues.
Over the years (many of them) I have seen my share of exhaust valve and seat issues with the type 4's.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Sep 2 2016, 05:41 AM
Post #135

QUOTE(porschetub @ Sep 2 2016, 03:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Sep 2 2016, 01:27 AM) *

Ah, yeah that looks bad!

TRW are replacements, great I like them,fairly unlikely you will have original sodium ones.
Valve guide wear has a lot to do with exhaust valve breakage in VW engines,if the guide is badly worn there is poor heat transfer into the head casting ,the heat stays in the valve and repeat excessive heat cycling causes it to break.
The seats come loose as a result of the above issues and overheating that's why many won't rebuilt old heads anymore.
My machine shop won't touch them anymore but they still do type 1 heads,they don't do welding on any of them after having issues.
Over the years (many of them) I have seen my share of exhaust valve and seat issues with the type 4's.

Great info! The valve guides in the new heads are all awesome, no slop but still allow the free movement of the valves.

Last night i honed the cyclinders. Plateau hone with 260 and then finished with 600 and an intense cleaning. Then i gapped all the rings for their specific cylinders and installed them on the pistons. Piston grooves are well within spec as well. This thing is shaping up pretty well.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472823165.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Sep 3 2016, 06:04 PM
Post #136

More work today. Waiting on stuff for the engine so I started on getting the 5 lug hubs swapped in. First, I needed to put it in the air. 2 feet of air. It's no lift, but these jackstands are awesome.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472947451.1.jpg)

Started on the rear. Pulled the control arm and everything related to it. Greased a new wheel bearing and installed, new bushings of course, and put it all back together. Test fit one of my new wheels then called up my tire guy to set up a day next week to swap my tires to the new wheels.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1472947451.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Sep 8 2016, 07:31 AM
Post #137

Got the tires swapped over.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1473341470.1.jpg)

Tires are the same size front/rear. Probably the widest tire I can fit in the rear, as it sits I will need to roll the inner fender lip out back. Since the wheels are staggered, the rears have a slight stretch. Overall I don't think it detracts from the looks noticably, and performance differences are negligable, so they'll work. If I was buying new tires for these I would probably do staggered sizes, but alas, that's not in the cards right now.
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Sep 9 2016, 07:43 AM
Post #138

More progress last night. No pictures, but i fixed the exhaust stud. Drilled and threaded it up to 10mm then used a stepped stud.

Then I started in on swapping one of the front rotors, quickly discovered that the new 5 lug rotors were made from the late model 914 so I cannot use them.

Well, I can use them enough to get this picture, but thats it.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/c1.staticflickr.com-19709-1473428617.1.jpg)

Difference is offset. To use these rotors I need late 914 spindles, calipers, ball joint, and I believe control arms. So now I'll be looking into getting my old rotors drilled.

Next I will be measuring deck height and figuring out which spacers I will need under the cylinders.
+Quote Post
gms
post Sep 9 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #139

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,785

The car is coming along nicely!
+Quote Post
Optimusglen
post Sep 9 2016, 09:19 AM
Post #140

QUOTE(gms @ Sep 9 2016, 10:11 AM) *

The car is coming along nicely!

Thank you!!
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:05 PM