Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Slack in the Front Shocks, finally found the culprit
76-914
post Feb 26 2016, 01:38 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Decided to start another thread since I found the knock was from the shocks and not the torsion bars. When raised off the floor I have about 8mm slack vertically. A sudden lift upwards and this "Free space" allows for a knocking sound. I thought my shocks were not tightened down completely but they are. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Another thing; (again when elevated) the shock also has horizontal slop. If I push on it I can get it to move inwards towards the center of the car. is this normal? FWIW, these are new Bilstein's w/ ~6000 miles on them.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
siverson
post Feb 26 2016, 01:56 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 654

That does not sound right to me... I don't think there is any slack or clunking once that top nut is tight.

-Steve
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 26 2016, 02:04 PM
Post #3

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

Is there a spacer of some kind that is missing? When you push up on the wheel, can you see the top of the shock moving? Is the threaded cap nut on the top of the shock barrel tight?
+Quote Post
brant
post Feb 26 2016, 02:26 PM
Post #4

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

doesn't sound right to me either.
perhaps a shock has gone bad and now has a dead spot?

even new shocks can blow easily when they bottom out
back in the day, we used to have to replace the race car shocks annually, because we ran too low of a ride height on our old race car

that didn't leave adequate travel on the car
one big bump and without full range of travel, something has to give

I hope that's not your situation
but how low are you?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Feb 26 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

Subaru power blew out your shocks?

No seriously, it sounds like you may not have the rubber bumper/buffer donuts in the shock tops? And, are your upper strut plates worn/broken?

These are usually pretty stout, even stock ones. The rubber in there is pretty indestructible. Are you missing the metal collars inside of the rubber?Attached Image
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Feb 26 2016, 03:03 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Follow the arrow I drew in my trusty Haynes manual. Take the nut off the top of the shock. Push it down and pull the shock out. Lift the protective tube #25 off the shock and check to see if this threaded nut is loose. It will take a spanner wrench, or I used channel locks to tighten it. That's how I fixed my "clunking" sound. I have exhausted my entire knowledge (such as it is)of front shock absorbers. But then again I am not afflicted with the "SUBI CURSE". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 26 2016, 04:32 PM
Post #7

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

I found that one of my shocks just died, so I can lift the wheel an inch or more which also creates a clunk when driving
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Feb 26 2016, 04:37 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Feb 26 2016, 04:03 PM) *

Follow the arrow I drew in my trusty Haynes manual. Take the nut off the top of the shock. Push it down and pull the shock out. Lift the protective tube #25 off the shock and check to see if this threaded nut is loose. It will take a spanner wrench, or I used channel locks to tighten it. That's how I fixed my "clunking" sound. I have exhausted my entire knowledge (such as it is)of front shock absorbers. But then again I am not afflicted with the "SUBI CURSE". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
I had the same thing to me also. The top nut as Elliot described had backed off
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 19 2016, 09:07 AM
Post #9

Still searching (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . The nut on top is tight however when the shock is extended i.e., on the lift, I can push sideways on the shock and I hear what I believe is THE noise. Then I remembered that when I replaced the shocks a while back, one had this rubber sleeve (pn# 00454002871) and the other had none. Should each shock have one of these even though I have Bilstein's now? PET says BOGE in the discription??? TIA, Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 19 2016, 01:39 PM
Post #10

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Rubber sleeve on bottom of insert to hold bottom in the middle and prevent th clunk? That one?

Rich
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Apr 19 2016, 01:52 PM
Post #11

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 19 2016, 08:07 AM) *

Still searching (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) . The nut on top is tight however when the shock is extended i.e., on the lift, I can push sideways on the shock and I hear what I believe is THE noise. Then I remembered that when I replaced the shocks a while back, one had this rubber sleeve (pn# 00454002871) and the other had none. Should each shock have one of these even though I have Bilstein's now? PET says BOGE in the discription??? TIA, Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

If you're talking about #26 in Ellyot's diagram, the answer is yes. It supposedly keeps the shock from bottoming out. Bottoming the shock is BAD as Bernat said.

+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 19 2016, 02:31 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 19 2016, 12:52 PM) *

If you're talking about #26 in Ellyot's diagram, the answer is yes. It supposedly keeps the shock from bottoming out. Bottoming the shock is BAD as Bernat said.

That's it. Great news Thx Ron. Now I just need to locate one more "rubber spring" as they are called and 2 tapered bolts to repair. If that takes care of the noise I will only have the noise from the urethane bushings on the trailing arms. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Those will be shit canned before Christmas. Maybe go needle bearing back in here next time. Thx again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 19 2016, 02:32 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 19 2016, 12:52 PM) *

That's it. Great news Thx Ron. Now I just need to locate one more "rubber spring" as they are called and 2 tapered bolts to repair. If that takes care of the noise I will only have the noise from the urethane bushings on the trailing arms. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) Those will be shit canned before Christmas. Maybe go needle bearing back in here next time. Thx again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
DCJosh
post Apr 19 2016, 03:30 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 19,697

My front suspension is completely shot. Where do I begin when looking for the correct parts to replace the sagging. Pelican has strut inserts with what look to have the sleeve on them and then has strut inserts that do not have the sleeves which are significantly less expensive.

I don't want to thread hi-jack, but this is the closest thread I have seen which kind of relates to my problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Josh
+Quote Post
76-914
post Apr 19 2016, 04:59 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(DCJosh @ Apr 19 2016, 02:30 PM) *

My front suspension is completely shot. Where do I begin when looking for the correct parts to replace the sagging. Pelican has strut inserts with what look to have the sleeve on them and then has strut inserts that do not have the sleeves which are significantly less expensive.

I don't want to thread hi-jack, but this is the closest thread I have seen which kind of relates to my problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Josh

That's cool. Pelican, PMB, G&R, Eklers, Sierra Madre. Spend some time with whomever you select to insure you are purchasing OEM replacement part and not some cheap Chinese POS that will last 12 mo's or one Auto-X outing! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Apr 19 2016, 07:39 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(DCJosh @ Apr 19 2016, 02:30 PM) *

Josh

First, buy a Haynes Manual to look at the procedure for setting front axle ride height. If the torsion bars are not worn out, you can adjust it.

As far as front inserts (shocks), I have never seen any with bushings on the barrel to fit a 914.

Other problems are the rubber bushings in the control arm, but that's for another time.
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 19 2016, 08:17 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Two words: Subie Curse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
+Quote Post
DCJosh
post Apr 19 2016, 09:43 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 19,697

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 19 2016, 08:39 PM) *

First, buy a Haynes Manual to look at the procedure for setting front axle ride height. If the torsion bars are not worn out, you can adjust it.

As far as front inserts (shocks), I have never seen any with bushings on the barrel to fit a 914.

Other problems are the rubber bushings in the control arm, but that's for another time.

I have a Haynes, I'll check it out. If I can not adjust, do I assume it is the torsion bars?

I just priced them on Pelican, I hope its not the torsion bars! Yikes!
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Apr 19 2016, 09:54 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(DCJosh @ Apr 19 2016, 08:43 PM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Apr 19 2016, 08:39 PM) *

I have a Haynes, I'll check it out. If I can not adjust, do I assume it is the torsion bars?

I just priced them on Pelican, I hope its not the torsion bars! Yikes!

You can get them used in the classifieds. Be aware, they are marked Right and Left.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Apr 19 2016, 10:11 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

The front suspension on a 914 Porsche is actually really a simple affair. Adjusting it and building it CORRECTLY is the trick.

It is about assembling with correct angles and adjustments, along with the correct parts assortment.

Good luck, it can be challenging, even for those who know what they are doing.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 11:16 AM