Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tangerine Racing in the house!, Chris arrived at 1Am.....
Jake Raby
post Mar 23 2005, 09:25 AM
Post #1

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

The Tangerine crew pulled in to the shop at around 1Am this morning....

Chris has come down to install his new F Production RAT engine with HAm heads that are VERY insane! We are finishing up the engine today and it should be on the dyno tonight and tested tomorrow. We plan on doing some extensive testing with this engine to scrounge every bit of power it possibly has out of it. I plan on doing some carb and velocity stack swaps, venturi swaps and we are even going to do some DTM testing with it Vs Chris' modified corvair fan arrangement both for power as well as running temp comparisons.

This is actually the least developed engine that we will be building Chris as it is the "Regular Season engine". It is still a very nasty animal that will make gobs of power, but since it's a regular season engine it also has to be much more longevity filled and therfore not as many risks can be taken with its tolerances.

The "Runoffs engine" is a different story. It only has to live for two hours for one weekend of racing so it will have every trick known to man and even crazier HAM heads.

With Chris' excellent driving skills and a pair of RAT engines with Len doing things to the heads that have never been done before to this level it is our goal to get a 914 on the podium at the runoffs and thats something that hasn't happened in about 20 years!

If anyone wants to come out to Atlanta this weekend send me an email to boss@aircooledtechnology.com and I'll tell you where we are going to be so we can meet.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
Jake Raby
post Mar 23 2005, 02:46 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Spunone, I'll give you my Fed Ex #!

We are finishing Chris' engine as we speak... Looking good! If he is enough of a night owl we might fire it up tonight..
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 23 2005, 05:29 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1,335

Give him some coffee. ! He'll be awake. And if Brent W gets 210 and it lives, I might be a customer and sell the six. but I'll have to see it to believe it. Not saying you can't Jake, Cuse I think you can (kind of like the little engine that could). But, just want to see it last. My concern and why I built the six. Hmm 210 and 1860 is the weight?? that should lead the class in HP. Even the best miatas don't have that hp to weight ratio and they are the HP class of the EP field. Thanks for your interest in racing and your right, it does'nt pay the bills, you should try Motorcycles, those guys don't normally have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of. But whos counting.

Hey Chris, it's snowing, hope you showed Mary how to operate the snowblower.

Erik Madsen EP 914-6
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 23 2005, 05:56 PM
Post #23

Engine Surgeon

Yeah... It'll last...

The ONLY thing that we have any issues with is rod bearings for the 2 liter stock journal.. BUT I have found a Mfr. that is willing to make us some VERY nice 2 liter rod bearings...
Much better than the old Bimetal factory stuff that limits longevity.

With better processes and much better parts than we have ever had before for the TIV I think we can see plenty of longevity... But heck you have to remember that you can tear down and refresh a TIV in one day if you try hard enough.... Simplicity really pays.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Mar 23 2005, 06:01 PM
Post #24

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

someone had to say it ...
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Mar 23 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #25

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

Couldn't find anything on SPEED Channel for SCCA other than Sebring (Mar. 27). (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/sad.gif) Anyone know if and when the Road Atlanta races will be aired?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 23 2005, 09:19 PM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

No Speed coverage for SCCA Nationals except the Runoffs, and they delay coverage for up to 2 months for that.
You'll have to settle for some in-car clips from me.
Chris Foley (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Mar 23 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #27

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 23 2005, 07:19 PM)

Even better! Don't have to listen to dumb-ass commentators stating the obvious!
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 23 2005, 09:36 PM
Post #28

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE (Special_K @ Mar 23 2005, 07:23 PM)
QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Mar 23 2005, 07:19 PM)

Even better! Don't have to listen to dumb-ass commentators stating the obvious!

Ya! all 914 All of the time!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 23 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #29

Engine Surgeon

Hell we have that already!

Ok... Going to crash a bit early tonight.... Have a stressful yet fun day ahead tomorrow as the Tangerine/ RAT powerplant screams to infinity on the dyno.....

Damn those MassIVe logos look good on Chris' car........
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 08:48 AM
Post #30

Jake,

Yeah, I always thought the bi-metal stuff was not up to racing, even coated the bearing just did not seem up the the forces involved. and technology HAS come a long way since the mid 80's when SCCA was filled with our 914's. Especially in the area of valve springs and materials for bearings and pushrods. Do you like the new bee hive stuff?

Erik
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 24 2005, 09:32 AM
Post #31

Engine Surgeon

Len and I have worked with two different valvetrain manufacturers and have created an engineered hi rev kit that kicks absolute ass. We have one of these for stainless 7mm valves and another for 6mm Titanium valves. None of these parts are off of any shelf and quite a bit of it comes from IRL parts that are modified from the mfr. The valvetrain parts are what has limited our power because we could not launch valves hard enough to really make power at super RPM because the valves and etc could not take it for long periods of time.....

With these new components and materials with DLC coating it will really increase our capabilities..

FUI- when you do the math on a Titanium based valvetrain Vs. stainless the cost is 16 TIMES MORE EXPENSIVE! The Titanium has 1/4 the lifespan and cost 4 TIMES MORE. We hope that the DLC will increase the lifespand by another 15-25% like it has with NASCAR engines..

+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 11:13 AM
Post #32

Jake,

I am having excellent luck with TiO2 or titanium oxide coating as well as Titanium carbon nitriding, and then there is always Titanium nitriding which everyone puts on tools these days. Most of our motorcycles use TiO2 on the entire valves for wear and durability.

Erik
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 24 2005, 11:47 AM
Post #33

Engine Surgeon

Some of those caotings can't take heavy impacts due to being so hard that they are brittle...

I have found very few coatings that actually work on these engines, BUT the ones that do, really do and are worth their weight in Diamonds to longevity..
+Quote Post
bam914
post Mar 24 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 1,378
Region Association: None

I will be at Road A this weekend racing as well. However I will not be in a 914. It does have torsion bars in the front and is painted L21E. I wish I never sold my EP 914 now that it is in F prod. See y'all up there. I will stop by and say Hey.

Blake Meredith
71 914 2.5L six
85 CRX Gprod
+Quote Post
guywan914
post Mar 24 2005, 08:12 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 2,112

Chris and Pete, glad to hear you guy's made it. Was a little concerned about the tow rig. Jake I'm sure you and Chris will get Tangerine Racing where it deserves to be. Chris good luck at the track, we are all rooting for you .Can't wait to see the in car cam shots. Chris don't worry it snowed about 5" but it was melting by early morning, if Mary got out of the driveway by the time she got home it shouldn't have been to bad to get back in. Good luck!!!!
+Quote Post
d914
post Mar 24 2005, 08:14 PM
Post #36

Advanced Member

Member No.: 904

we will be there staurday after our Lacrosse game, can't wait to see a real 914 race team!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Mar 24 2005, 08:52 PM
Post #37

Engine Surgeon

We have been fighting quite a few issues getting Chris' engine mated to the dyno, mostly some oil system challenges..... We have overcame them now and it should be fired up bright and early in the morning...

Chris has decided to skip practice tomorrow so we can get more dyno time on the new engine and try some different carbs, exhaust and mufflers trying to squeeze everything out of that we can in one day...

The rest of the plan is to qualify as early as possible on Saturday come back and swap engine at the shop that night and get ready for the race on Sunday... Atleast if some snags are hit we'll have time to work them out because the race is in the afternoon..

Should be interesting........ Looking forward to meeting you guys..

If it doesn't rain I'll drive the 914 and you guys can see the first 914 DTM in person..... Monday Chris is installing a totally Bitchin roll cage in my car!
+Quote Post
william harris
post Mar 24 2005, 09:00 PM
Post #38

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

Jake and Chris: All I can say is some people have all the fun. Rock and Roll guys!!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 24 2005, 09:03 PM
Post #39

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

It looks like we will miss the test day Friday.
There is so much to do still to get the new engine hooked up on the dyno. Pete and I have worked very long hours (10am - midnight) for two days already.
We've had car prep tasks, graphics work, final engine assembly, dyno hookups, etc. to keep us busy. There were a bunch of surprises along the way, but nothing we couldn't overcome with Jake's facilities at our disposal.
Not to mention the work we haven't even started on Jake's 914. The interior is Line-Xed just to make the cage install challenging. I want to work on his suspension on my portable alignment platform. Something is f-ed up and the rear is jacked up because the tires don't fit under the fenders right now.
It looks like the weather will be very wet Saturday and Sunday just to keep it challenging. I can't say yet whether the new engine will be in the car or not for the race.
We just stopped for a quick dinner before going back to the dyno room to hook up the carbs and wiring. With a little luck it will be running by lunchtime Friday.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Mar 24 2005, 09:07 PM
Post #40

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Hey William,
I haven't forgotten about your parts order from the Type 4 store. I gave the list to Jake and they started picking things out already. I might get a chance to listen to your phone message before I go to bed tonight, after midnight.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2024 - 07:42 PM