Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil leak, 1973 2.0L original car with oil leak
Jazz914
post Mar 2 2016, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,718
Region Association: None

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the 914world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I've inherited a lovely 914 2.0 -73 with 140.000 kilometres (86.995 miles?) on it

My major concern is the oil leak that appears on top of the engine as the engine reaches working temperature. Attached picture show where the oil appears. The car has been garaged since 2002 and only driven during summer days since 1988.

Looking forward to your response! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Best regards
May, from Sweden (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
Jazz914
post Mar 2 2016, 07:26 PM
Post #2

Please, any thoughts would be highly appreciated.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

QUOTE(Jazz914 @ Mar 3 2016, 12:50 AM) *

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the 914world (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I've inherited a lovely 914 2.0 -73 with 140.000 kilometres (86.995 miles?) on it

My major concern is the oil leak that appears on top of the engine as the engine reaches working temperature. Attached picture show where the oil appears. The car has been garaged since 2002 and only driven during summer days since 1988.

Looking forward to your response! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Best regards
May, from Sweden (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)Attached Image

+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Mar 2 2016, 07:43 PM
Post #3

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660
Region Association: South East States

Hello, May.

Your leak is nothing serious. There is a gasket between the metal tank and the plastic filler neck that has most likely failed. This is very easy to replace.

However, I notice that your hoses appear to be original. This may or may not be a problem, depending on their condition, but it would indicate to me that the car may be in need of other maintenance items. It is 43 years old now, and it should have the plastic fuel lines that run inside the tunnel from the tank to the engine bay replaced with stainless steel. The plastic lines are known to crack with age.

We have at least two other members here from Sweden who really know these cars (Falcor75 and DavidSweden). I am certain that one or both of them would love to help you sort out your inheritance.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Nice to have you here!
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Mar 2 2016, 07:58 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

There are two seals there. One is an o-ring (part # 1 in this picture.) The other is a cork gasket under the rectangular breather box (part #10 in this picture). You can look up the part numbers, which are listed on the diagram and order from a variety of retailers, but I recommend: www.914rubber.com . Mark, the owner is a good guy and will work with you to keep shipping costs to Sweden low. And he's just a generally nice person to deal with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jazz914
post Mar 2 2016, 08:14 PM
Post #5

Oh, thanks!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
You really made my day! I was prepared to hear the worst..

Yes, it's true that the car is original and most of the fuel lines are original ones too... Won't leave the garage until all of them are changed though.
I'm searching for the best option amongst stainsteel armoured fuel lines. Do you know which label is to prefer? Is stainsteel lines a better choice than copper lines for the centre tunnel?

She is turning 43 yrs this month and will celebrate with new filters and fluids. Are there more than 3 filters to change (fuel, oil and air)? I even found a square fuel filter from Mahle, so I'm super happy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

And once again, Thanks for your help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

//May
+Quote Post
Jazz914
post Mar 2 2016, 08:20 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 3 2016, 02:58 AM) *

There are two seals there. One is an o-ring (part # 1 in this picture.) The other is a cork gasket under the rectangular breather box (part #10 in this picture). You can look up the part numbers, which are listed on the diagram and order from a variety of retailers, but I recommend: www.914rubber.com . Mark, the owner is a good guy and will work with you to keep shipping costs to Sweden low. And he's just a generally nice person to deal with. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Great! Thanks! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I'll order both immediately and with some other goodies... I know that the tiny boot where the parking brake meet the calliper was superseded so the old ones were used.. He has them! What else should be up for change as percussion?

Thanks again!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jazz914
post Mar 2 2016, 08:23 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 3 2016, 02:43 AM) *

Hello, May.

Your leak is nothing serious. There is a gasket between the metal tank and the plastic filler neck that has most likely failed. This is very easy to replace.

However, I notice that your hoses appear to be original. This may or may not be a problem, depending on their condition, but it would indicate to me that the car may be in need of other maintenance items. It is 43 years old now, and it should have the plastic fuel lines that run inside the tunnel from the tank to the engine bay replaced with stainless steel. The plastic lines are known to crack with age.

We have at least two other members here from Sweden who really know these cars (Falcor75 and DavidSweden). I am certain that one or both of them would love to help you sort out your inheritance.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Nice to have you here!

(Hehe, I've just learnt not to delete the text that I'm responding to...)

Oh, thanks!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
You really made my day! I was prepared to hear the worst..

Yes, it's true that the car is original and most of the fuel lines are original ones too... Won't leave the garage until all of them are changed though.
I'm searching for the best option amongst stainsteel armoured fuel lines. Do you know which label is to prefer? Is stainsteel lines a better choice than copper lines for the centre tunnel?

She is turning 43 yrs this month and will celebrate with new filters and fluids. Are there more than 3 filters to change (fuel, oil and air)? I even found a square fuel filter from Mahle, so I'm super happy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

And once again, Thanks for your help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

//May
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 02:08 AM