Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jazz914
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the 914world smile.gif
I've inherited a lovely 914 2.0 -73 with 140.000 kilometres (86.995 miles?) on it

My major concern is the oil leak that appears on top of the engine as the engine reaches working temperature. Attached picture show where the oil appears. The car has been garaged since 2002 and only driven during summer days since 1988.

Looking forward to your response! biggrin.gif

Best regards
May, from Sweden smile.gifClick to view attachment
Jazz914
Please, any thoughts would be highly appreciated.. cheer.gif pray.gif pray.gif

QUOTE(Jazz914 @ Mar 3 2016, 12:50 AM) *

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the 914world smile.gif
I've inherited a lovely 914 2.0 -73 with 140.000 kilometres (86.995 miles?) on it

My major concern is the oil leak that appears on top of the engine as the engine reaches working temperature. Attached picture show where the oil appears. The car has been garaged since 2002 and only driven during summer days since 1988.

Looking forward to your response! biggrin.gif

Best regards
May, from Sweden smile.gifClick to view attachment

bigkensteele
Hello, May.

Your leak is nothing serious. There is a gasket between the metal tank and the plastic filler neck that has most likely failed. This is very easy to replace.

However, I notice that your hoses appear to be original. This may or may not be a problem, depending on their condition, but it would indicate to me that the car may be in need of other maintenance items. It is 43 years old now, and it should have the plastic fuel lines that run inside the tunnel from the tank to the engine bay replaced with stainless steel. The plastic lines are known to crack with age.

We have at least two other members here from Sweden who really know these cars (Falcor75 and DavidSweden). I am certain that one or both of them would love to help you sort out your inheritance.

welcome.png Nice to have you here!
ThePaintedMan
There are two seals there. One is an o-ring (part # 1 in this picture.) The other is a cork gasket under the rectangular breather box (part #10 in this picture). You can look up the part numbers, which are listed on the diagram and order from a variety of retailers, but I recommend: www.914rubber.com . Mark, the owner is a good guy and will work with you to keep shipping costs to Sweden low. And he's just a generally nice person to deal with. beerchug.gif

Jazz914
Oh, thanks!! piratenanner.gif cheer.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
You really made my day! I was prepared to hear the worst..

Yes, it's true that the car is original and most of the fuel lines are original ones too... Won't leave the garage until all of them are changed though.
I'm searching for the best option amongst stainsteel armoured fuel lines. Do you know which label is to prefer? Is stainsteel lines a better choice than copper lines for the centre tunnel?

She is turning 43 yrs this month and will celebrate with new filters and fluids. Are there more than 3 filters to change (fuel, oil and air)? I even found a square fuel filter from Mahle, so I'm super happy aktion035.gif

And once again, Thanks for your help biggrin.gif

//May
Jazz914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Mar 3 2016, 02:58 AM) *

There are two seals there. One is an o-ring (part # 1 in this picture.) The other is a cork gasket under the rectangular breather box (part #10 in this picture). You can look up the part numbers, which are listed on the diagram and order from a variety of retailers, but I recommend: www.914rubber.com . Mark, the owner is a good guy and will work with you to keep shipping costs to Sweden low. And he's just a generally nice person to deal with. beerchug.gif

Great! Thanks! biggrin.gif
I'll order both immediately and with some other goodies... I know that the tiny boot where the parking brake meet the calliper was superseded so the old ones were used.. He has them! What else should be up for change as percussion?

Thanks again!! beerchug.gif
Jazz914
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Mar 3 2016, 02:43 AM) *

Hello, May.

Your leak is nothing serious. There is a gasket between the metal tank and the plastic filler neck that has most likely failed. This is very easy to replace.

However, I notice that your hoses appear to be original. This may or may not be a problem, depending on their condition, but it would indicate to me that the car may be in need of other maintenance items. It is 43 years old now, and it should have the plastic fuel lines that run inside the tunnel from the tank to the engine bay replaced with stainless steel. The plastic lines are known to crack with age.

We have at least two other members here from Sweden who really know these cars (Falcor75 and DavidSweden). I am certain that one or both of them would love to help you sort out your inheritance.

welcome.png Nice to have you here!

(Hehe, I've just learnt not to delete the text that I'm responding to...)

Oh, thanks!! piratenanner.gif cheer.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif
You really made my day! I was prepared to hear the worst..

Yes, it's true that the car is original and most of the fuel lines are original ones too... Won't leave the garage until all of them are changed though.
I'm searching for the best option amongst stainsteel armoured fuel lines. Do you know which label is to prefer? Is stainsteel lines a better choice than copper lines for the centre tunnel?

She is turning 43 yrs this month and will celebrate with new filters and fluids. Are there more than 3 filters to change (fuel, oil and air)? I even found a square fuel filter from Mahle, so I'm super happy aktion035.gif

And once again, Thanks for your help biggrin.gif

//May
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.