Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> One Lap of America 2016 - the 914 entry
Cupomeat
post May 1 2016, 11:34 PM
Post #81

missing my NY 914 in VA

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,376
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

DAY 2 - Great Day at Pittsburgh International Raceway! Tom killed it on the second session on the track!!! The first was rainy and spotty and difficult for all. The winner from last year had an off and hurt his GTR to the point of probably being out of the event. Another M-B blew its engine. We are 49th place right now.
Then the long 500+ mile trip to Springfield... which is just over. Lots of traffic and construction!
Tomorrow is Palmer, so we'll see hot that goes.Good night!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porschef
post May 2 2016, 09:34 AM
Post #82

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152
Region Association: North East States

Just watched Eric complete the morning run in the pouring rain, it's a cold and miserable day.

This is where the event must really take its toll, everyone's gettin wet, everyone's stuff is gettin wet...

And then off to the next place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 2 2016, 12:01 PM
Post #83

Advanced Member

Member No.: 15,565

Found our car, can't find our guys...

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1462212117.1.jpg)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post May 2 2016, 10:43 PM
Post #84

missing my NY 914 in VA

QUOTE(GregAmy @ May 2 2016, 02:01 PM) *

Thanks Greg for coming out! We did find you!!! A tough day at a new track for me with all that rain, but that is racing!
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post May 2 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #85

missing my NY 914 in VA

QUOTE(Porschef @ May 2 2016, 11:34 AM) *

Just watched Eric complete the morning run in the pouring rain, it's a cold and miserable day.

This is where the event must really take its toll, everyone's gettin wet, everyone's stuff is gettin wet...

And then off to the next place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

THanks so much for coming out! It was great to see fellow 914ers!!! That was a tough day and it rained for both my sessions... The good news it that it is warm here in WV now, although apparently going to rain tomorrow...
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post May 2 2016, 10:45 PM
Post #86

missing my NY 914 in VA

OK, DAY 3! So, the Theme of the event seems to be "RAIN"!! Third day of RAIN!!! (Perhaps I should mention "COLD" as well)
Palmer Raceway today was the Venue and Eric Drove. Pouring rain on the first session and even though it had cleared up a bit in between we had rain for the second session also... That course is very interesting with Huge elevation changes and tricky corners. I was getting the hang of it by the end but did not post very good times. It was my first time driving the 914 on a racetrack so much to learn. I did spin it once, but recovered very quickly and moved on eventually pulling away from the car behind me There was so much standing water and things were tricky.
We have now completed the drive to Winchester WV successfully arriving around midnight. We are now in 50th place but with Tom driving tomorrow and on a familiar track, we are hopeful...
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 3 2016, 05:53 AM
Post #87

Advanced Member

So here's an ironman note. This has truly been the Wet Lap of America, and yesterday at Palmer was no exception. 50s, cold, wet all day, rain on and off, hard pour to sprinkly. In fact, weather was so crappy that our Track Night in America event at Palmer last night, which kicked off right after the last OLOA car finished, had to be called early on account of...fog. I did a recon lap and we were down to 150-foot viz at the top of the mountain at around 6:30.

But here's the ironman thing: our guys aren't running heater boxes. No heat, no defrost. In a leaky drafty 40-yr-old car. In the rain. And cold.

Thumbs up to you guys!!

Got to say though, their life can't be more miserable than the intrepid pair running...an Arial Atom. Heard they walked into the Harley dealership and bought a couple sets of moto foul weather gear.

No one said the One Lap was a cake walk!

Keep'a' goin', guys, we're cheerin' you on.

Greg
+Quote Post
bulitt
post May 3 2016, 10:48 AM
Post #88

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(GregAmy @ Mar 6 2016, 12:30 PM) *

Good luck! I did it in the late 90s in a nice Audi S6 luxobarge, and that was enough for me...I'd not want to do it in a 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

http://gatm.org/cars/onelap/onelap2.html
http://gatm.org/cars/onelap/index.html

Wow, nice write-up. I agree money=speed and lots of money=lots of speed.
I remember a build thread on the vette forum where a guy was building a 500,000$
track day car and hired Andy Pilgrim to set it up for him. Arrive on your jet and drive... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 3 2016, 10:55 AM
Post #89

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

I was going to suggest that most BMW motorcycle dealerships sell both 12vdc heated gloves and vests that could plug into the cigarette lighter....and they work really well.

Rich
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 4 2016, 07:47 AM
Post #90

Advanced Member

QUOTE(bulitt @ May 3 2016, 12:48 PM) *
Wow, nice write-up. I agree money=speed and lots of money=lots of speed.

Thank you!

Here's some examples of other interesting cars in the mix:

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1462369663.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1462369663.2.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1462369663.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1201.photobucket.com-15565-1462369663.4.jpg)
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post May 5 2016, 11:36 PM
Post #91

missing my NY 914 in VA

DAY 6 - Well, this Thursday was quite the day. 2 sessions at Road America which I drove the first and Tom drove the second. 1 Autocross, 1 standard drag race and 1 bracket elimination drag (3rd overall!!!!) race. Wow, a 914 can do it all!!!!!

Add in a stop at the Famous Wisconsin "Brat Stop" and wow, big day.
Another good part is that today only had about 200 miles of transit (in comparison with the last two days of over 550 miles each day.).
We made it in to Joliet and time for sleep. Tomorrow is the Autobahn Country Club tracks and the drive back to Indiana!
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post May 5 2016, 11:44 PM
Post #92

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101

My initial run down the drag strip was a 13.98 at something like 99 mph. I could not believe how well the car launched though I was being VERY careful not to just dump the clutch and break the transmission. Check the Facebook link for more videos!
+Quote Post
Cupomeat
post May 6 2016, 09:56 PM
Post #93

missing my NY 914 in VA

Day 7: we ran both the north and the south course at Autobahn Country Club and then drove back to the starting point in IA. Tomorrow is the last event at Tire Rack and then the finish!
Big goings on at the hotel here with people very relieved to have made it this far. Time for bed, and tomorrow is the Skidpad (dry) test and then we are DONE!
A couple of things to note, I want to thank the great Guys (and Girl) at Toyota who were awesome to hang, joke around with etc. and all that stuff and Three Pedal Mafia, who became great friends over this event!!! AND those from 914 world who came out to see us!
+Quote Post
Mike Walsh
post May 7 2016, 05:44 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 18,597
Region Association: None

Passed a couple of the cars above on my way home from work this morning. Didn't see your 914 though.

Mike
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 7 2016, 09:05 PM
Post #95

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(Cupomeat @ May 6 2016, 11:56 PM) *

Day 7: we ran both the north and the south course at Autobahn Country Club and then drove back to the starting point in IA. Tomorrow is the last event at Tire Rack and then the finish!
Big goings on at the hotel here with people very relieved to have made it this far. Time for bed, and tomorrow is the Skidpad (dry) test and then we are DONE!
A couple of things to note, I want to thank the great Guys (and Girl) at Toyota who were awesome to hang, joke around with etc. and all that stuff and Three Pedal Mafia, who became great friends over this event!!! AND those from 914 world who came out to see us!

I saw their car the Wednesday before the event. I was hoping it was a Nascar Toyota, built for the street, but when they passed it was way to quite (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Glad to see they are having fun.
+Quote Post
GregAmy
post May 8 2016, 07:05 AM
Post #96

Advanced Member

Nice Mitch Wright write-up. Makes me even think about doing it again...then I remember the pain...

http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/10-r...html/?a=viewall
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post May 8 2016, 10:11 AM
Post #97

The car made it home last night but Eric still has some driving to do to get back home. What a week! No worries, Eric will post some amazing videos to the Facebook page but here's the summary:

1. A Porsche 914 can successfully compete and survive One Lap of America

2. Cold and rain SUCK, especially at the same time in a vehicle that has no heater.

3. We came in second in our class (Vintage Foreign) among competitors running American V8s!

4. Bridgestone RE-71R tires suck in the rain but are about as good as an R-comp in the dry. We pulled .969g on the skidpad which was better than more than half of the cars there.

5. I may now be addicted to autocross

6. Drag racing a 914 is a delicate sport but consistency is key. I was blown away to have run 5 heats as consistently as I did only to break out by 1/100th of a second. We finished 3rd in that event.

7. If you have ever thought of running One Lap of America, sign up for the next one. Everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly!
+Quote Post
914forme
post May 8 2016, 06:44 PM
Post #98

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Nice, and that is what I am setting up my 914 up for. Thus things like the trailer hitch, heat. A/C, and seat heaters. But then I am liquid cooled so heat is the easy part.

Hmmm the right combination might be an LS powered 914 with Boxster 6.

Auto-x is very addictive if you don't have to spend an entire day to get 6 runs in. It is a large investment of time for less than 6 seconds of adrenal gland inducement. Our NASA group we get more like 12 runs. And the course is usually a 50 second course.

Glad you all made it, and enjoyed it enough to recommend others t feel your pain. Misery loves company

+Quote Post
tomeric914
post May 8 2016, 06:58 PM
Post #99

QUOTE(914forme @ May 8 2016, 08:44 PM) *

Hmmm the right combination might be an LS powered 914 with Boxster 6.

Exactly the conversation we had.

That and some ridonkulous width tires.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post May 8 2016, 08:25 PM
Post #100

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

You guys should be congratulated for the effort taking an old NARP on a tour of duty like that, and surviving with no heat....

Well done!
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:27 AM