Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Advice from painters
john77
post Mar 7 2016, 03:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,027
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i2.photobucket.com-17027-1457384697.1.jpeg)

I'm having an m10 stroker built for my BMW 2002 and when we pulled the engine the bay was such a mess I decided to strip it back to bare metal and repaint it myself.

This is the first time I've painted anything, but I prepped the crap out of it, did my research and took my time, and it was going really well, until I ran out of basecoat...

So far I've sprayed 2K epoxy and 2K high build primer, but the high build was a dark gray and it took me way more base than I expected to get coverage.

The picture is where it's at right now. I have more base (1K urethane) on order but it's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it. So, my question is, given the amount of time between coats of base will I need to scuff up the base again before spraying the next coat?

Also, will it be okay to clean the base with prep solvent before I spray the next coat? The tech sheet says not to, but given the fact it's going to be sitting in my friend's shop for 2 weeks I feel like I'm going to have to clean it with something to ensure no contaminants have settled on it.

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
john77
post Mar 7 2016, 03:10 PM
Post #2

Double post
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Mar 7 2016, 05:26 PM
Post #3

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Clean with wax and grease remover, then if its a solid color use a fine grit scuff pad air hose it off and wax/grease it one more time and blow it off again.

Next time color match your primer. take a picture of the color your going to spray, use a photo program to make it black/white, then take your primer (You typically have a light and dark grey option) and select the closer color. 90% of the time a lighter base is better because the dark colors cover almost instantly.

You can also have a paint ship tint your primer accordingly.
+Quote Post
john77
post Mar 7 2016, 05:56 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 7 2016, 03:26 PM) *

Clean with wax and grease remover, then if its a solid color use a fine grit scuff pad air hose it off and wax/grease it one more time and blow it off again.

Next time color match your primer. take a picture of the color your going to spray, use a photo program to make it black/white, then take your primer (You typically have a light and dark grey option) and select the closer color. 90% of the time a lighter base is better because the dark colors cover almost instantly.

You can also have a paint ship tint your primer accordingly.

Thanks Andrew. Lesson learned on the primer, I won't make that mistake again.
+Quote Post
Marcusw
post Mar 7 2016, 08:46 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 16,259
Region Association: Southwest Region

How much paint did you originally buy?
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 03:26 AM