Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Advice from painters
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john77
IPB Image

I'm having an m10 stroker built for my BMW 2002 and when we pulled the engine the bay was such a mess I decided to strip it back to bare metal and repaint it myself.

This is the first time I've painted anything, but I prepped the crap out of it, did my research and took my time, and it was going really well, until I ran out of basecoat...

So far I've sprayed 2K epoxy and 2K high build primer, but the high build was a dark gray and it took me way more base than I expected to get coverage.

The picture is where it's at right now. I have more base (1K urethane) on order but it's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get back to it. So, my question is, given the amount of time between coats of base will I need to scuff up the base again before spraying the next coat?

Also, will it be okay to clean the base with prep solvent before I spray the next coat? The tech sheet says not to, but given the fact it's going to be sitting in my friend's shop for 2 weeks I feel like I'm going to have to clean it with something to ensure no contaminants have settled on it.

John
john77
Double post
Andyrew
Clean with wax and grease remover, then if its a solid color use a fine grit scuff pad air hose it off and wax/grease it one more time and blow it off again.

Next time color match your primer. take a picture of the color your going to spray, use a photo program to make it black/white, then take your primer (You typically have a light and dark grey option) and select the closer color. 90% of the time a lighter base is better because the dark colors cover almost instantly.

You can also have a paint ship tint your primer accordingly.
john77
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Mar 7 2016, 03:26 PM) *

Clean with wax and grease remover, then if its a solid color use a fine grit scuff pad air hose it off and wax/grease it one more time and blow it off again.

Next time color match your primer. take a picture of the color your going to spray, use a photo program to make it black/white, then take your primer (You typically have a light and dark grey option) and select the closer color. 90% of the time a lighter base is better because the dark colors cover almost instantly.

You can also have a paint ship tint your primer accordingly.

Thanks Andrew. Lesson learned on the primer, I won't make that mistake again.
Marcusw
How much paint did you originally buy?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.