Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> big progress recently,, filled the hole in the engine space with the right motor?
porschetub
post Mar 14 2016, 01:25 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,995
Region Association: None

QUOTE(396 @ Mar 12 2016, 06:13 AM) *

Again, looking good. I have a question about the engine.
Is it a 2.0 , 2.2 , 2.4, 2.7, 3.0,3.2 ( with early by valve covers) ...T, E or S with 40s ?

as per sig,71 2.2T ROW motor,custom headers,Zenith upgrade to larger venturies and jets.............but no idea how it runs,crap shoot really,if it runs like poo I will go to rebuild stage cause I paid nearly nothing for it years ago,cheers.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 14 2016, 01:47 AM
Post #22

Advanced Member

bit more done ,got muffler and tailpipe sorted under rear skirt/valance? ,started sorting oil pipes/hoses on engine and tank.
NO one in my country can swage the 30mm hoses (too large) so talked to a good friend and he supplied me with a worn out set of hydraulic dies from his company,I intend to have these modified to copy the Cohline swage....only option @ this stage.

Attached Image

PO had added the tailpipe but fitted it to the muffler poorly so moved it around to fit the valance better...good result.
Its a bit dented and rough but has good bones,dated 1974 so think its off the first of the 2.7 cars.
+Quote Post
returf
post Mar 14 2016, 03:28 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 14,806
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 11 2016, 07:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 11 2016, 02:02 AM) *

Looks nice. I could be wrong but the seasons are "flipped" down under...

Tony

QUOTE(LowBridge @ Mar 8 2016, 07:14 AM) *

congrats on the progress... summer is just around the corner and it looks like you might be on the road in time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/MDB2.gif)

Thanks Tony,yes correct,November it starts to warm up again,January to March can be hot,theres normally a winter chance early April,Easter seems to bring on that change .
Climate in my area is great really...only snows on the hills in winter.

lowbridge don't worry about getting it wrong ,most people don't even know where New Zealand is (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

So what part of NZ are you based Porschetub?
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 14 2016, 07:00 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

I hope you had a jack stand under there too! My crew dropped my car at the track in December when jacking off the paddock grass/dirt. Thank God nobody had legs or bodies under the car. Just sayin' that looks scary...

Tony

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 14 2016, 02:47 AM) *

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Mar 14 2016, 07:42 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 14 2016, 09:00 AM) *

I hope you had a jack stand under there too! My crew dropped my car at the track in December when jacking off the paddock grass/dirt. Thank God nobody had legs or bodies under the car. Just sayin' that looks scary...

Tony

Attached Image

One of my neighbors died last year under his Mustang. A $10 jackstand would have saved his life.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 15 2016, 02:10 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Mar 15 2016, 02:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 14 2016, 09:00 AM) *

Tony

Attached Image

One of my neighbors died last year under his Mustang. A $10 jackstand would have saved his life.

all good was moved in that pic had a car dump on me once..not going to repeat that,appreciate the concern thanks,got the tank to engine suction line sorted and ready to swage.
Return pipe is 911 type so the male end needs to be sweated off and the pipe cut straight to the tank return,not a big issue.
However the 45 degree sweep fitting from the tank hits the engine lid release cable conduit so I think the oil tank is too low (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) .

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 19 2016, 02:46 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 11 2016, 02:34 PM) *

You might want to have someone operate the clutch when you're observing the linkage...I've seen more than once where there is excessive movement/bending of the
brackets when engaged.

Tony

Thanks Tony checked that and all was good,didn't manage to tangle up cables in the tunnel also,fitted new cables and hand throttle last.
Have set of hydraulic press dies to modify as mentioned hope to start that next week,these dies are for another type of swaged fitting and need to work/press with in the Cohline part,the jaws will need to be reduced in length for this to work.
I know regret not going to AN with adaptors but I'am too far in $$$$ wise to change now,besides when I started I had no idea that nobody could swage them in my country.
Attached Image
Looked at the return line hose to tank,I have the 22-30mm adaptor made by Elephant Racing with a Cohline long sweep 45 ,in order to clear the hole through the body (engine surround) this fitting is the way to go but because the hose supplied by PO was too short I have ordered another 2 feet from Chuck.
More to follow.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 19 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #28

Advanced Member

NZ post santa came late (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) with some more goodies,metric speedo has taken me an age to find but purchased off a member on here,Bosch 003 I honestly say I stole from a member on Pelican nice guy but appeared not too worried that his stock of 911 parts was worth anything,suited me,this will be converted to Pertronix and fitted later,parts on order from Pelican to do this.
Last but not least is Bruce Stones constant help with great parts for my car,in this case a factory manual in great condition,I would like to take the time to thank Bruce for his service to this community,great parts @ prices that make me think its more of a service than a full on profit based exercise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .

Attached Image

My Marreli on the engine is one out of the box,great condition with no shaft wear and excellent cap and rotor but living in my country using a Bosch makes more sense as I can get consumables for it here in my country.
I plan to onsell the old dizzy in my country as its set up with Ignitor II and matching coil.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 25 2016, 02:41 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 20 2016, 05:16 PM) *

NZ post santa came late (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) with some more goodies,metric speedo has taken me an age to find but purchased off a member on here,Bosch 003 I honestly say I stole from a member on Pelican nice guy but appeared not too worried that his stock of 911 parts was worth anything,suited me,this will be converted to Pertronix and fitted later,parts on order from Pelican to do this.
Last but not least is Bruce Stones constant help with great parts for my car,in this case a factory manual in great condition,I would like to take the time to thank Bruce for his service to this community,great parts @ prices that make me think its more of a service than a full on profit based exercise (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) .

Attached Image

My Marreli on the engine is one out of the box,great condition with no shaft wear and excellent cap and rotor but living in my country using a Bosch makes more sense as I can get consumables for it here in my country.
I plan to onsell the old dizzy in my country as its set up with Ignitor II and matching coil.

No real work done as have been on a nail gun and drop saw for the last 2 days with my builder,as we start heading into winter I'am torn between the house reno and the car build,the house wins ,bugger it.
I have stolen some time and finally found a hydraulics company locally to do my oil line hoses,the dies are cast steel ,how old is that...but they fit and will work.
Just in the process of doing a full history on my car,the early results are confusing on past New Zealand registration,will report back.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 26 2016, 12:21 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Got the registration search back today on the car,this is a NZ based company that taps into the government car registration system and you pay a small amount for all details.
Appears car was new to my country in Feb 1975 so I presume it was a year or so more old when finally sold by the dealer....
Strange thing is it is listed as a red car and clearly its silver and has no evidence of a full repaint except for the exterior...the plot thickens.
Had a few past owners but many are dealers and current records show it had it was last inspected with 85,172 kilometers under its wheels,all vin numbers stack up as being correct.
In summary I have records on the car that for ever are a little odd ,but I have records and that's the main thing in my country to get this car on the road.
Great day for me.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 27 2016, 01:01 AM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(porschetub @ Mar 26 2016, 07:21 PM) *

Got the registration search back today on the car,this is a NZ based company that taps into the government car registration system and you pay a small amount for all details.
Appears car was new to my country in Feb 1975 so I presume it was a year or so more old when finally sold by the dealer....
Strange thing is it is listed as a red car and clearly its silver and has no evidence of a full repaint except for the exterior...the plot thickens.
Had a few past owners but many are dealers and current records show it had it was last inspected with 85,172 kilometers under its wheels,all vin numbers stack up as being correct.
In summary I have records on the car that for ever are a little odd ,but I have records and that's the main thing in my country to get this car on the road.
Great day for me.

Appears car has 2 different years ,old rego sticker says 73 last registration 1999 and the enginebay sticker clearly stated 74 model year.
Have seen mention on here of this confusion,think DD and others had this sorted and I can't remember,feel free to reply.
Following McMarks helpful reply to another thread I got both indicator lights flashing on each side in my 911 tach,funny he states the 74 never had this wiring but I found it under the dash and extended the wires to the tach,no need to tap into the hazard warning switch....good result.
Oil lines to sort and then swaging next week,got my hose from Elephant Racing so only need to modify hard pipe from scavenge return...another job off the list.

+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 4 2016, 01:32 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Had a day off from being builders slave,mentioned my oil tank was a little low in the body,looked @ the positions of the cutouts for filter console, return and breather pipe and it could come up a little but without removing the tank this isn't happening.
Used a hillbilly solution and made up a piece of wood with a slot for the engine lid cable conduit,one good hit downwards and I had clearance for my hose to thread on to the tank adaptor.

Attached Image

All hoses are ready to swage with the exception of the return as I need to modify the end of the 911 hardline I'am using.

Attached Image

Have been in contact with the guy in Oregon who's making my engine and CDI looms he will make a start on them in 2 weeks,if anyone is keen to get a -6 loom repaired /or made he is the go to guy,he does a fantastic job but @ this stage he only builds off an original but once he has that he could replicate more.
Email me if you need to hook up with him,all the Pelican guys use him .

+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 4 2016, 04:42 PM
Post #33

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

Nice work and your muffler tailpipe is exiting the valance perfectly - looks terrific.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 5 2016, 02:35 AM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Apr 5 2016, 11:42 AM) *

Nice work and your muffler tailpipe is exiting the valance perfectly - looks terrific.

Thanks Micheal appreciate the comments and have followed your build with interest,I'am amazed how smooth it has gone for me ,funny buying someones huge investment in a car for what I payed it's hard to believe how nice this car is,all the hard work has been done well and in general little hassle.
I have learnt so much from the good people on here and have learnt a lot myself about what I thought I knew???,not having not to deal with rust has been the big plus.
I digress yea happy with the tailpipe,but have to confess I got someone else to do it cause my MIG is non operational,not like me cause its a kiwi thing to do all....nevermind.
More to follow, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 11 2016, 12:08 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Not a huge amount done as stuck with the building work as winter starting to set in,funny its still rather warm for this time of year.
Now I have written evidence of my cars mileage thought I would validate that by changing my recently acquired metric speed to the correct reading,have done my fill of these over the years and this one was bitch to say the least (no surprises).
Originally when I got it here there was 23K kilometers and I needed to advance to anything over the last reading as per our countries 6 month vehicle car inspection which was 85,170 or there abouts.
Some may ask way all this hassle...in my country we had a large amount of Japanese imports a few decades ago and the government were pressured to make sure mileage covered was legit,many cars were found to be far from that.
Rules pass over to cars being newly registed and complied for the road as mine will be,so my effort is to avoid a separate speedo compliance which last time I checked was $200nzd.
Attached Image

The kilometer reading I set is based on expected mileage as per last vehicle inspection based on history from the database on the car since new,the car was removed from the road for six conversion after that.
Cleaned and ready go after the standard battery drill test ,passed 100%,credit to the member on here I purchased off,very nice condition.
Attached Image

Oil lines and oil hardline to pic up Tuesday.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Apr 29 2016, 03:08 AM
Post #36

Advanced Member

progress ...well gone backwards really ,collected my oil lines and my guy came thru for me but I made a mistake and ordered the wrong hose from Elephant,wire reinforced and too stiff to fit oil tank return,big fail on my part and has cost me dearly on the reorder of parts from the USA.
My engine loom maker had informed me recently he had a client with a sample 6 loom for replication,perfect solution for me as he can copy it and make the correct mods for my 4 cyl relay board and all done ,however today he said this was delayed so I wait further,again my fault should have acted sooner and he is booked up for a while.
+Quote Post
porschetub
post May 7 2016, 08:59 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

New oil line for return hose on its way should be here in a few days,will get the the old ferrules cut off and get that sorted.

Question time? can I fit my oil tank back in the car with the short suction line still on,can't see a way to tighten the fitting on to the tank with it in situ.
Notice speedo got his out this way on his resto thread.
Would like to strip and paint my tank after removal,reason for asking.
Thanks in advance (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) .
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Aug 26 2016, 03:19 AM
Post #38

Advanced Member

Just to prove I still work on my car I have a few minor updates.
Perry has started my engine loom so that's great news should have that done soon ,my engine had a loom but PO had chopped it beyond use and the wires were not in great condition.
I have managed to renovate the bigger part of my old house (built 1959) ,kitchen bathroom and lounge plus reroofed, extra insulation,rewiring and lots of plumbing,been an epic journey but I have enjoyed it and have done most of the work myself,funny the place looks really old on the outside but the inside is tastefully modernized.
Anyway enough of my ranting got my crappy euro conversion indicator conversions removed and fitted the Martin Baker specials,these are so well made and the difference is night and day honest rubbish compared to quality ,I can't understand why 2 sellers of 914 parts could sell rubbish made in Taiwan.
Attached Image

Got a proper spare wheel screw and retaining plate for my spacesaver.
Attached Image

In between have been fitting replacement air filters because my plastic original is toast,hope to take some more pics soon.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Aug 26 2016, 06:36 AM
Post #39

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

You are making very nice progress. Keep us posted and have fun.
Michael
+Quote Post
Perry Kiehl Clone
post Aug 26 2016, 09:15 AM
Post #40

Unregistered

Very nice!

I'd opine that your throttle action will be a little wonky, as the geometry of your bellcrank at the transmission is different from a 914-6. It will probably work like you have it, but it won't be smooth as you are giving up some mechanical advantage off idle.

I've been around the block on this and found there's a reason the 6 bellcranks are different (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 08:22 PM