Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> where is the best place to buy harness and ECU, for a 3.6 Subie conv.
flmont
post Mar 8 2016, 06:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,676
Region Association: Southwest Region

Starting to get serious on this transplant,and the most expensive thing so far, will be the engine management system,what sources are out there for all of the electricial system,..outfront states a couple K,..last time it was 2500.00..do they just guess at there pricing,....plus,. I would love that gauge that has the water temp incorporated in the gauge,..??? Thanks,...Frank
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JRust
post Mar 8 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 129
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Speedhut for gauges would be my recommendation. I love out front too & you won't go wrong there. Won't necessarily be the cheapest though. I think you can build a megasquirt setup pretty reasonably but have no experience there. Good luck
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 8 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #3

which system is the most reliable/trouble free,..?? Thanks
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 8 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #4

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Are you wanting plug and play, or you willing to do a little running?
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 8 2016, 08:48 PM
Post #5

I want to learn how its all accomplished,I don't know a lot about it,..I know wiring for the gauges need ran,fans also,..I assume I need fuse boxes for fan fuses,,..But to your question ,..Hell yea Ill run,, if its too much,. then plug and play,...??
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 8 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #6

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Well then if your wanting to know how everything works, Meqasquirt would be my choice. If you don't like soldering the you can find pre-assembled or got MS3Pro

Out front is the easy solution, but expensive.
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Mar 8 2016, 09:05 PM
Post #7

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Talk to Brody in Fresno. He has a company called 914s gone wild, and is specializing in Subie conversions, may be of some help.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Mar 8 2016, 09:06 PM
Post #8

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Most any EFI ECU will cost you $2k-3k for a good one. MS is a little cheaper but by the time you are done dyno tuning you will have spent the same amount.

There is really no cheap way. Even if you find a stock ECU, it will cost you $1k plus to get it flashed and running right.

If you want to play, you have to pay...
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Mar 8 2016, 09:24 PM
Post #9

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431

I can only speak from my Nissan experience, but the harness "work" wasn't nearly worth $2500. But then I have factory manuals that show which wire in which pin in which plug to tap into. I have about a dozen wires to deal with and half of them go to the gauges.

The temp is easy. Most cars I have seen have 2 sensors. One for the ECU and one for the gauge, as combining them messes up the readings. Just about everyone uses a 1/8NPT sensor. Just replace the one on the engine with one that matches the gauge. I bought a 944 gauge for this purpose... except I cheated and used a Nissan cluster.
You will need to redo the tach for the -6.
Probably will need to replace the mech speedo for an electric one, then have it calibrated.
I can't tell you which is more cost effective, redoing stock VDO gauges, Speedhut aftermarket, or fitting a Suby cluster.

The only thing Nissan needs is $500 or so to remove the anti-theft. But that includes a dyno tune, so not too bad.
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 8 2016, 10:17 PM
Post #10

Well,..iam not able to do much soldering,..I work 2 jobs,..plus I don't even have the ECU,..just engine and harness,I cant spend hrs in a manuel...Sooo maybe outfront is the way,..I have to buy headers,thier's iam sure, plus I need to convert from FBwire to a cable throttle and they have the throttel body I need so, I guess that's what I gotta do,.. Thanks...Guys Frank
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 9 2016, 05:05 PM
Post #11

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 8 2016, 07:06 PM) *

Most any EFI ECU will cost you $2k-3k for a good one. MS is a little cheaper but by the time you are done dyno tuning you will have spent the same amount.

There is really no cheap way. Even if you find a stock ECU, it will cost you $1k plus to get it flashed and running right.

If you want to play, you have to pay...

That stock ECU is Canbus IIRC. Subaru gears has the work around module but add $500+. You should just buy John's unit for 2-2.5K in that you don't solder, work 2 jobs, etc. Time or Money and you don't have the time, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 9 2016, 05:32 PM
Post #12

Yea 76,..I really don't but I have no automotive electrical exp. either,..which is double trouble,..I talked to( john) at outfront today,..now they say 3500.00 so I don't know who's quoting there prices but they need to get there shit together for sure,...!!!!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 9 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

I would check the Megaquirt forums as well, someone could be running a simpler version of MS on another flat /6 Subaru motor and possibly help you out if you don't need all the bells and whistles on your build.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Mar 9 2016, 06:12 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Very easy to do without the variable cam timing.

I think Megasquirt has the code for the EZ30 trigger wheels now.A Megasquirt III could do everything you need to run the engine. But you would need to be able to tune everything and write the code for some of the functions.

The EZ30R has been done in a 914 by someone in AZ. He used a Link ECU had it running using the drive by wire. I don't think he ever got the cam timing right. Do a search here and see if you can find anything.

Go over to the Factory Five 818 forums at one time there was a big thread going on about the EZ 30 series engines. I also remember some threads about a new Haltech ECU on a EZ engine.

Good Luck.....Bob
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Mar 9 2016, 06:19 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I think MS 3 would run that thing. Was just looking at the site. I see they have a VVT module on there too.

E-mail the megasquirt guys. They will tell you what you need and the cost for a plug and play setup. Then you can compare it with the stinger and others. They were very helpful when I contacted them.

DIYAutotune

Doubt it would be $3500 through them. Quick question...did you get the engine yet? Is the engine wiring harness there at all? You will need that, plus a MAF, intake manifold of some kind, etc. You might have to pay someone to tune it as Bob said. Well worth it though.

Why not go drive by wire? Several guys are doing it. I think MS 3 supports it. You just have to buy a gas pedal.
+Quote Post
BIGKAT_83
post Mar 9 2016, 06:27 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 194
Region Association: South East States

Here's some reading for you.
914 EZ30R

Bob
+Quote Post
edwin
post Mar 9 2016, 08:19 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 10,384
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

Haltech Elite 2500 ECU and have the current harness plug changed. Will do all OEM controls for DBW and variable valve.
Not cheap but the perfect option.
If you have hours of time free and want to see one used on a 3.6 with e85 and lots of boost then look up "mighty car mods - gramps"
+Quote Post
flmont
post Mar 9 2016, 08:36 PM
Post #18

Chris H,...Not yet, But engine did have harness,..its missing altenator,and exh. manifolds,.everything else was there,...shloud have it by next Friday...
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 9 2016, 10:31 PM
Post #19

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 9 2016, 07:12 PM) *

I think Megasquirt has the code for the EZ30 trigger wheels now.A Megasquirt III could do everything you need to run the engine. But you would need to be able to tune everything and write the code for some of the functions.

The EZ30R has been done in a 914 by someone in AZ. He used a Link ECU had it running using the drive by wire. I don't think he ever got the cam timing right. Do a search here and see if you can find anything.

Go over to the Factory Five 818 forums at one time there was a big thread going on about the EZ 30 series engines. I also remember some threads about a new Haltech ECU on a EZ engine.

Good Luck.....Bob

As I understand it, in the mid-range ECU tier the Haltech Elite 2500, AEM Infinity 8, or Vipec V88 (Link G4) are all supposed to be able to run the VVT and TBW out of the box.

I didn't think Megasquirt had the cam triggers working correctly yet for controlling valve timing. It would be awesome if they did! So far I've only seen EZ30D's controlled by MS.

I have a Syvecs S8 which would definitely do the job that I'm thinking of selling if you're interested. The only caveat is that while it is an incredible engine controller not too many people in the USA play with them.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 9 2016, 10:49 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 9 2016, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 9 2016, 07:12 PM) *

Good Luck.....Bob

As I understand it, in the mid-range ECU tier the Haltech Elite 2500, AEM Infinity 8, or Vipec V88 (Link G4) are all supposed to be able to run the VVT and TBW out of the box.

I didn't think Megasquirt had the cam triggers working correctly yet for controlling valve timing. It would be awesome if they did! So far I've only seen EZ30D's controlled by MS.

I have a Syvecs S8 which would definitely do the job that I'm thinking of selling if you're interested. The only caveat is that while it is an incredible engine controller not too many people in the USA play with them.

That has some impressive features, I like their Power Distribution modules, like having a PLC in the car, pretty slick stuff. I bet it is not cheap!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 09:31 PM