Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: where is the best place to buy harness and ECU
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
flmont
Starting to get serious on this transplant,and the most expensive thing so far, will be the engine management system,what sources are out there for all of the electricial system,..outfront states a couple K,..last time it was 2500.00..do they just guess at there pricing,....plus,. I would love that gauge that has the water temp incorporated in the gauge,..??? Thanks,...Frank
JRust
Speedhut for gauges would be my recommendation. I love out front too & you won't go wrong there. Won't necessarily be the cheapest though. I think you can build a megasquirt setup pretty reasonably but have no experience there. Good luck
flmont
which system is the most reliable/trouble free,..?? Thanks
914forme
Are you wanting plug and play, or you willing to do a little running?
flmont
I want to learn how its all accomplished,I don't know a lot about it,..I know wiring for the gauges need ran,fans also,..I assume I need fuse boxes for fan fuses,,..But to your question ,..Hell yea Ill run,, if its too much,. then plug and play,...??
914forme
Well then if your wanting to know how everything works, Meqasquirt would be my choice. If you don't like soldering the you can find pre-assembled or got MS3Pro

Out front is the easy solution, but expensive.
Mikey914
Talk to Brody in Fresno. He has a company called 914s gone wild, and is specializing in Subie conversions, may be of some help.
Mike Bellis
Most any EFI ECU will cost you $2k-3k for a good one. MS is a little cheaper but by the time you are done dyno tuning you will have spent the same amount.

There is really no cheap way. Even if you find a stock ECU, it will cost you $1k plus to get it flashed and running right.

If you want to play, you have to pay...
Chris914n6
I can only speak from my Nissan experience, but the harness "work" wasn't nearly worth $2500. But then I have factory manuals that show which wire in which pin in which plug to tap into. I have about a dozen wires to deal with and half of them go to the gauges.

The temp is easy. Most cars I have seen have 2 sensors. One for the ECU and one for the gauge, as combining them messes up the readings. Just about everyone uses a 1/8NPT sensor. Just replace the one on the engine with one that matches the gauge. I bought a 944 gauge for this purpose... except I cheated and used a Nissan cluster.
You will need to redo the tach for the -6.
Probably will need to replace the mech speedo for an electric one, then have it calibrated.
I can't tell you which is more cost effective, redoing stock VDO gauges, Speedhut aftermarket, or fitting a Suby cluster.

The only thing Nissan needs is $500 or so to remove the anti-theft. But that includes a dyno tune, so not too bad.
flmont
Well,..iam not able to do much soldering,..I work 2 jobs,..plus I don't even have the ECU,..just engine and harness,I cant spend hrs in a manuel...Sooo maybe outfront is the way,..I have to buy headers,thier's iam sure, plus I need to convert from FBwire to a cable throttle and they have the throttel body I need so, I guess that's what I gotta do,.. Thanks...Guys Frank
76-914
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Mar 8 2016, 07:06 PM) *

Most any EFI ECU will cost you $2k-3k for a good one. MS is a little cheaper but by the time you are done dyno tuning you will have spent the same amount.

There is really no cheap way. Even if you find a stock ECU, it will cost you $1k plus to get it flashed and running right.

If you want to play, you have to pay...

That stock ECU is Canbus IIRC. Subaru gears has the work around module but add $500+. You should just buy John's unit for 2-2.5K in that you don't solder, work 2 jobs, etc. Time or Money and you don't have the time, right? beerchug.gif
flmont
Yea 76,..I really don't but I have no automotive electrical exp. either,..which is double trouble,..I talked to( john) at outfront today,..now they say 3500.00 so I don't know who's quoting there prices but they need to get there shit together for sure,...!!!!
Mueller
I would check the Megaquirt forums as well, someone could be running a simpler version of MS on another flat /6 Subaru motor and possibly help you out if you don't need all the bells and whistles on your build.
BIGKAT_83
Very easy to do without the variable cam timing.

I think Megasquirt has the code for the EZ30 trigger wheels now.A Megasquirt III could do everything you need to run the engine. But you would need to be able to tune everything and write the code for some of the functions.

The EZ30R has been done in a 914 by someone in AZ. He used a Link ECU had it running using the drive by wire. I don't think he ever got the cam timing right. Do a search here and see if you can find anything.

Go over to the Factory Five 818 forums at one time there was a big thread going on about the EZ 30 series engines. I also remember some threads about a new Haltech ECU on a EZ engine.

Good Luck.....Bob
Chris H.
agree.gif I think MS 3 would run that thing. Was just looking at the site. I see they have a VVT module on there too.

E-mail the megasquirt guys. They will tell you what you need and the cost for a plug and play setup. Then you can compare it with the stinger and others. They were very helpful when I contacted them.

DIYAutotune

Doubt it would be $3500 through them. Quick question...did you get the engine yet? Is the engine wiring harness there at all? You will need that, plus a MAF, intake manifold of some kind, etc. You might have to pay someone to tune it as Bob said. Well worth it though.

Why not go drive by wire? Several guys are doing it. I think MS 3 supports it. You just have to buy a gas pedal.
BIGKAT_83
Here's some reading for you.
914 EZ30R

Bob
edwin
Haltech Elite 2500 ECU and have the current harness plug changed. Will do all OEM controls for DBW and variable valve.
Not cheap but the perfect option.
If you have hours of time free and want to see one used on a 3.6 with e85 and lots of boost then look up "mighty car mods - gramps"
flmont
Chris H,...Not yet, But engine did have harness,..its missing altenator,and exh. manifolds,.everything else was there,...shloud have it by next Friday...
jd74914
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 9 2016, 07:12 PM) *

I think Megasquirt has the code for the EZ30 trigger wheels now.A Megasquirt III could do everything you need to run the engine. But you would need to be able to tune everything and write the code for some of the functions.

The EZ30R has been done in a 914 by someone in AZ. He used a Link ECU had it running using the drive by wire. I don't think he ever got the cam timing right. Do a search here and see if you can find anything.

Go over to the Factory Five 818 forums at one time there was a big thread going on about the EZ 30 series engines. I also remember some threads about a new Haltech ECU on a EZ engine.

Good Luck.....Bob

As I understand it, in the mid-range ECU tier the Haltech Elite 2500, AEM Infinity 8, or Vipec V88 (Link G4) are all supposed to be able to run the VVT and TBW out of the box.

I didn't think Megasquirt had the cam triggers working correctly yet for controlling valve timing. It would be awesome if they did! So far I've only seen EZ30D's controlled by MS.

I have a Syvecs S8 which would definitely do the job that I'm thinking of selling if you're interested. The only caveat is that while it is an incredible engine controller not too many people in the USA play with them.
Mueller
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 9 2016, 08:31 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Mar 9 2016, 07:12 PM) *

Good Luck.....Bob

As I understand it, in the mid-range ECU tier the Haltech Elite 2500, AEM Infinity 8, or Vipec V88 (Link G4) are all supposed to be able to run the VVT and TBW out of the box.

I didn't think Megasquirt had the cam triggers working correctly yet for controlling valve timing. It would be awesome if they did! So far I've only seen EZ30D's controlled by MS.

I have a Syvecs S8 which would definitely do the job that I'm thinking of selling if you're interested. The only caveat is that while it is an incredible engine controller not too many people in the USA play with them.

That has some impressive features, I like their Power Distribution modules, like having a PLC in the car, pretty slick stuff. I bet it is not cheap!
jd74914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 9 2016, 11:49 PM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Mar 9 2016, 08:31 PM) *

That has some impressive features, I like their Power Distribution modules, like having a PLC in the car, pretty slick stuff. I bet it is not cheap!

IIRC the PDM is about ~$2k. Not cheap but definitely a fantastic piece.

I've tuned a number of ECU's and it's the most advanced I've touched by a mile. Right now I'm Jonesing to play with the new MoTeC M1 series since it's really the closest in terms of computing power. The S8 was used on a built bike motor regularly living at to 15000 rpm and we saw no evidence of timing scatter which is a first for me. There is a programmable FPGA dedicated to engine position tracking which is so good you can see the changes in engine speed as each cylinder fires at lower engine speeds. Without cyclic averaging setup it appears you hit rev limit about 300-500 rpm early because it catches the peaks. That was quite the revelation at 4 am after running the dyno for 14 hrs. wacko.gif laugh.gif

Sorry for the hijack, engine controls are just really exciting for me. blink.gif beerchug.gif This topic is especially interesting as I'm planning on putting an EZ30R in my car...
flmont
Wish I could reply quicker,..my comp. at work keeps blocking the thread due to a virus alert's,..Ill ck back on the wkend,...Thanks agin guys...talked to haltek,..sent me to a guy in CA,..he wants 4500.00....LOL damn I never knew it would be that Expensive,..If I would have known that i would have bought a diffrent engine,...?? well,.. maybe not ,..I thought a 4 cyl Turbo,..was too much work for me...Hmmm
jd74914
QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 11 2016, 02:54 PM) *

I've used many PE ECU's from the PE-ECU-1 to their newer PE3 on bike motors from 2009-2014. I can't say enough about how nice and helpful Brian at PE is if you need support. He's awesome and a true enthusiast! smile.gif

The following is just my opinion and is based on my personal tuning experiences on an engine dyno and in-car. I don't think their ECU's are as fully developed as many others on the market from a hardware perspective. We always had triggering problems that seemed to be from ignition drivers on the board or coils fouling the low speed (low voltage) VR sensor signal on the cam. Even with good harnesses bike motors are much noisier electronically than car motors so since everything is so close together so they can be tough to work with. PE now has an external VR signal conditioner which probably takes care of this problem now. Their timing precision isn't super great (ie: change the timing a few degrees and nothing really happens due to scatter), but its been so long I don't remember what engine speed I had issues at. That might be a problem only at 8000+ rpm.

Don't let those notes turn you off from using it on a EG33, Type IV, or like motor! For a low speed motor I'm absolutely sure the PE3 would do quite well. It is really easy to wire up and get going and has quite a bit of flexibility for the price point. Lots of people I know love their PE ECU's and have been extremely satisfied! Shoot Brian and email and he might even know of one on an EG33. smile.gif

------------------
Chris Ludwig at LMS-EFI is also relatively close in Indiana and is also super helpful with Haltech/Syvecs/AEM stuff. Another guy I can't say enough good things about!
jd74914
QUOTE(flmont @ Mar 11 2016, 10:33 AM) *

Wish I could reply quicker,..my comp. at work keeps blocking the thread due to a virus alert's,..Ill ck back on the wkend,...Thanks agin guys...talked to haltek,..sent me to a guy in CA,..he wants 4500.00....LOL damn I never knew it would be that Expensive,..If I would have known that i would have bought a diffrent engine,...?? well,.. maybe not ,..I thought a 4 cyl Turbo,..was too much work for me...Hmmm

LMS-EFI has the Elite 2500 for $1950. Chris at LMS could probably build you a nice harness. He's mainly a rotary guy but he may have some Subie-specific stuff, send him a note and see.

http://www.lms-efi.com/sunshop/index.php?l...ct_list&c=2
flmont
Thanks,..JD74914,I will call him,...I also found a guy in mesa,az who said he could build a harness,using a Link Extreme box,...install the engine adapter kit and run the engine for me,..I pick up engine, install in car,...and drive-it,for a total of 4 K,.....but, I was also told that with the suby 3.6, I need to tune it for driveabilty,..which means take it back up to Mesa,run on Dyno until dialed in for another 500.00 or so,..??? seems fair,...I buy the adapter kit for 1K,..he installs it ..228 MM set-up.... FM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.