Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Progress Thread 914-6 EP, New photos and some text.
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 08:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,335

Well,

As the season approaches,the snow continues to fall and the heating oil prices continue to rise the car is coming together nicely. Many of you know I had scare last month and almost had to sell it. But the problem was averted and now I'm back on track. Or so I think. Got some new photos of the dash fabrication and gauge mounting the seat is in and the suspension only needs two grade ten bolts to finish it up. So heres some photos. Next week motor install with Hewland transmission, and the new header fabrication.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 08:57 AM
Post #2

Another shot of the dash, thought I should have angled it a bit more towards me but I can see the gauges well.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Verruckt
post Mar 24 2005, 09:02 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 2,348

What type of shifter, and cable setup is that?
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 09:08 AM
Post #4

Engine compartment photos. This is the engine mount Steve Limbert makes at aircooled racing, and the other piece is the fuel distribution.

Erik

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 09:10 AM
Post #5

Now thats a mirror, I may have to shorten this stock, but don't want the thing to get into my line of sight. Thats why it is so high.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
machina
post Mar 24 2005, 09:13 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

Lotta nice details there. Well done. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

How many racecars have you built?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 24 2005, 09:16 AM
Post #7

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

QUOTE (Verruckt @ Mar 24 2005, 10:02 AM)
What type of shifter, and cable setup is that?

cable?

looks like a standard shift rod with an aircraft Apex coupler on it.
+Quote Post
machina
post Mar 24 2005, 09:17 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 848

QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 24 2005, 10:16 AM)
looks like a standard shift rod with an aircraft Apex coupler on it.

right, but why the big aluminum box around the shifter base?
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #9

I fabricated the shift tower and lever from 6061 T6 and the bushings are replacable delrin. The cable is a fire bottle actuation cable and not part of the shifter. I had to do this because the car has a Hewland dog ring transaxle (they shift a bit better), and the shift shaft could not be routed in the standard location, so a new shaft was fabricated and a new path was determined.
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 10:44 AM
Post #10

Over the past 30 years probably 20-22 cars. Some customer cars, some mine some factory stuff. Nice that stuff (962). But I wish I had the time to make most of it really nice. Some things are a compromise of time and cost and materials. This project is just that. If i had the time I would have bead blasted the chassis and started with a clean slate. But did not have the time.

As for shift box, I have seen too many that are not strong enough. this is CLEARLY not the case with this tower. Although I am sure I could have made it much lighter. But the sides are milled out to lighten it up heres a photo. BTW thats Foleys welding on this piece. Nice Huh! Thanks Chris.

Erik

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 10:45 AM
Post #11

And the mechanism

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 24 2005, 12:53 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

What's the deal with the link at the bottom of the shifter. Is the shift rod located by a bushing at the front and back of the shifter tower? Doesn't it just need to rotate and slide back and forth?
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 24 2005, 01:04 PM
Post #13

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 24 2005, 01:53 PM)
What's the deal with the link at the bottom of the shifter.  Is the shift rod located by a bushing at the front and back of the shifter tower?  Doesn't it just need to rotate and slide back and forth?

most of our shifters have the fixed pivot in the "middle" of the lever and the shift link rod attached to the bottom. this one has the shift rod attached to the middle, and therefore needs a 'fixed' pivot at the bottom. it's constrained fore-and-aft by the link rod, and yet can rotate by virtue of the compliance in the other axis.

interesting design. i've forgotten the names for the three types of levers, but this design changes it from one type to another (the types differentiated by the location of the load, relative to the pivot...)

this provides for a fairly easy adjustment for both radial and axial movement, and can accommodate differences in throw by the location of the shift rod attachment to the stick.

ya learn something every day ...
+Quote Post
maf914
post Mar 24 2005, 01:20 PM
Post #14

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Looks good. Very nice work. The talent you and other people on this board have always impresses me.

I was wondering if the location of the mirror on the cowl/deflector will be stable enough to prevent vibration without some bracing below? (Edited: From the following photos I see that the mirror is actually mounted to a bracket and not to the cowl. Duh! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) )
+Quote Post
groot
post Mar 24 2005, 01:29 PM
Post #15

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

Eric.... looking good!!!

BTW... it's Kevin (me) with the EP 4 cyl that Jake's working on, not Brett W.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Mar 24 2005, 10:32 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

most of our shifters have the fixed pivot in the "middle" of the lever and the link rod attached to the bottom. this one has the link rod attached to the middle, and therefore needs a 'fixed' pivot at the bottom. it's constrained fore-and-aft by the link rod, and yet can rotate by virtue of the compliance in the other axis.

DUH, damn I am stupid. Should have looked at it with my mouth held the other way.

My Production car is on hold right now as there is a more pressing project occupying my chassis jig.

Yeah I am trying to decide whether or not to get out of the four cylinder business or not. I really don't like sixes but damn my four will explode on impact.
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 10:51 PM
Post #17

Yeah Kevin I knew that, just had a brain fart. started happening when I turned 35. Then 38 then......

As for the shifter I copied the fulcrum points out of a swift formula car and then changed the length of the shift lever trying to keep the same ratio, but the ratio for to aft will be the same but the left to right rotation will be more due to the increase in length. But, it feels really good when I had the mock up transmission in the car. It was pretty funny watching my wife playing creeper spining the wheels while I shifted. I wish I had a photo. Some more progress tonight, got the fuel cell plumbing completed, although I am not completely happy with the vent, but it is legal. Got the Tilton brake Bias adjuster mounted, OOPS forgot that, glad I left some room on the dash. Finally figured out what I am doing about the front brake lines. Again, slight compromise, but it must get done. I have exactly 8 days until I must be completed and pass SCCA tech. We'll see. Some more photos.

Erik

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #18

Fuel cell, anyone with fears about dumping fuel vapor into the wheel well?? well at least its not on my side of the car. Hopefully it won't give the car a flame job. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

Erik

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 24 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #19

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

where an i find a tach like that? whats the diameter?
+Quote Post
Thorshammer
post Mar 24 2005, 11:01 PM
Post #20

Aaron,

It was the tach that came with the shell I bought. It is a VDO and the opening is somewhere about 2 3/4 inches. It's okay.

Anyone.

Have been searching for a Data logging system. And wish I had the scratch to build the car with just a digital display, again the concessions. Anybody got a winning lottery ticket they can share??? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wavey.gif) . Wife just got a new Yukon, well new to us, used Yukon non XL, nice SUV. Kinda feel bad for supporting opec. Any painters in the New England area that won't pork me for some shine???

Erik
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 03:44 PM