Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Progress Thread 914-6 EP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Thorshammer
Well,

As the season approaches,the snow continues to fall and the heating oil prices continue to rise the car is coming together nicely. Many of you know I had scare last month and almost had to sell it. But the problem was averted and now I'm back on track. Or so I think. Got some new photos of the dash fabrication and gauge mounting the seat is in and the suspension only needs two grade ten bolts to finish it up. So heres some photos. Next week motor install with Hewland transmission, and the new header fabrication.
Thorshammer
Another shot of the dash, thought I should have angled it a bit more towards me but I can see the gauges well.
Verruckt
What type of shifter, and cable setup is that?
Thorshammer
Engine compartment photos. This is the engine mount Steve Limbert makes at aircooled racing, and the other piece is the fuel distribution.

Erik
Thorshammer
Now thats a mirror, I may have to shorten this stock, but don't want the thing to get into my line of sight. Thats why it is so high.
machina
Lotta nice details there. Well done. smilie_pokal.gif

How many racecars have you built?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Mar 24 2005, 10:02 AM)
What type of shifter, and cable setup is that?

cable?

looks like a standard shift rod with an aircraft Apex coupler on it.
machina
QUOTE (ArtechnikA @ Mar 24 2005, 10:16 AM)
looks like a standard shift rod with an aircraft Apex coupler on it.

right, but why the big aluminum box around the shifter base?
Thorshammer
I fabricated the shift tower and lever from 6061 T6 and the bushings are replacable delrin. The cable is a fire bottle actuation cable and not part of the shifter. I had to do this because the car has a Hewland dog ring transaxle (they shift a bit better), and the shift shaft could not be routed in the standard location, so a new shaft was fabricated and a new path was determined.
Thorshammer
Over the past 30 years probably 20-22 cars. Some customer cars, some mine some factory stuff. Nice that stuff (962). But I wish I had the time to make most of it really nice. Some things are a compromise of time and cost and materials. This project is just that. If i had the time I would have bead blasted the chassis and started with a clean slate. But did not have the time.

As for shift box, I have seen too many that are not strong enough. this is CLEARLY not the case with this tower. Although I am sure I could have made it much lighter. But the sides are milled out to lighten it up heres a photo. BTW thats Foleys welding on this piece. Nice Huh! Thanks Chris.

Erik
Thorshammer
And the mechanism

Brett W
What's the deal with the link at the bottom of the shifter. Is the shift rod located by a bushing at the front and back of the shifter tower? Doesn't it just need to rotate and slide back and forth?
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Brett W @ Mar 24 2005, 01:53 PM)
What's the deal with the link at the bottom of the shifter.  Is the shift rod located by a bushing at the front and back of the shifter tower?  Doesn't it just need to rotate and slide back and forth?

most of our shifters have the fixed pivot in the "middle" of the lever and the shift link rod attached to the bottom. this one has the shift rod attached to the middle, and therefore needs a 'fixed' pivot at the bottom. it's constrained fore-and-aft by the link rod, and yet can rotate by virtue of the compliance in the other axis.

interesting design. i've forgotten the names for the three types of levers, but this design changes it from one type to another (the types differentiated by the location of the load, relative to the pivot...)

this provides for a fairly easy adjustment for both radial and axial movement, and can accommodate differences in throw by the location of the shift rod attachment to the stick.

ya learn something every day ...
maf914
Looks good. Very nice work. The talent you and other people on this board have always impresses me.

I was wondering if the location of the mirror on the cowl/deflector will be stable enough to prevent vibration without some bracing below? (Edited: From the following photos I see that the mirror is actually mounted to a bracket and not to the cowl. Duh! laugh.gif )
groot
Eric.... looking good!!!

BTW... it's Kevin (me) with the EP 4 cyl that Jake's working on, not Brett W.
Brett W
most of our shifters have the fixed pivot in the "middle" of the lever and the link rod attached to the bottom. this one has the link rod attached to the middle, and therefore needs a 'fixed' pivot at the bottom. it's constrained fore-and-aft by the link rod, and yet can rotate by virtue of the compliance in the other axis.

DUH, damn I am stupid. Should have looked at it with my mouth held the other way.

My Production car is on hold right now as there is a more pressing project occupying my chassis jig.

Yeah I am trying to decide whether or not to get out of the four cylinder business or not. I really don't like sixes but damn my four will explode on impact.
Thorshammer
Yeah Kevin I knew that, just had a brain fart. started happening when I turned 35. Then 38 then......

As for the shifter I copied the fulcrum points out of a swift formula car and then changed the length of the shift lever trying to keep the same ratio, but the ratio for to aft will be the same but the left to right rotation will be more due to the increase in length. But, it feels really good when I had the mock up transmission in the car. It was pretty funny watching my wife playing creeper spining the wheels while I shifted. I wish I had a photo. Some more progress tonight, got the fuel cell plumbing completed, although I am not completely happy with the vent, but it is legal. Got the Tilton brake Bias adjuster mounted, OOPS forgot that, glad I left some room on the dash. Finally figured out what I am doing about the front brake lines. Again, slight compromise, but it must get done. I have exactly 8 days until I must be completed and pass SCCA tech. We'll see. Some more photos.

Erik
Thorshammer
Fuel cell, anyone with fears about dumping fuel vapor into the wheel well?? well at least its not on my side of the car. Hopefully it won't give the car a flame job. confused24.gif

Erik
Aaron Cox
where an i find a tach like that? whats the diameter?
Thorshammer
Aaron,

It was the tach that came with the shell I bought. It is a VDO and the opening is somewhere about 2 3/4 inches. It's okay.

Anyone.

Have been searching for a Data logging system. And wish I had the scratch to build the car with just a digital display, again the concessions. Anybody got a winning lottery ticket they can share??? wavey.gif . Wife just got a new Yukon, well new to us, used Yukon non XL, nice SUV. Kinda feel bad for supporting opec. Any painters in the New England area that won't pork me for some shine???

Erik
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Mar 24 2005, 11:54 PM)
Fuel cell, anyone with fears about dumping fuel vapor into the wheel well?

vents are always hard, especially for an endurance car (refuelling with hot brakes...).

you might consider stuffing some open-cell foam in the vent line if you can -- i've seen a couple of cars sidelined when they sucked in enough grit through the cell vent to clog the fuel filters. those were V8 engines that used fuel a lot faster and created way more suction on the vent, but you'lll probably have more airborne debris in that location than they had in theirs, so... anyway - it's something to consider.

it all looks real nice tho.
nein14-6
Erik,
Is that your oil cooler sitting back behind the fuel cell? Are you going to run ducts to it from the front?

Rob
Another EP 914-6
Thorshammer
Yeah,

I agree with the debris especially since the tire is right there. I was going to attach a little K&N filter to keep out the dirt. I think it might a problem if I don't.

As for the Oil cooler, yes, the cooler s in the bulkhead and it is ducted front the front fog lamp area. With two three inch hoses and two very large brake ducts turned around backwards to act as a divergent duct to slow the air down around the cooler. The ducting after the cooler is convergent to the fresh air inlet on the cowl, I was concerned intially about the pressure area in front of the windscreen, but with the low screen it is not a factor, but it would be in a closed car with a windscreen. At least thats what my testing indicates.

Erik
groot
Data logging.... and dash....

AIM system. I went with the Mychron 3 XL Log or something like that. It will display everything I need. But not enough channels for the EGT. So, I'll have the AIM display and a 4 cyl EGT guage.

So, for $1275: 2 CHTs, OT, OP, throttle position, wheel speed, RPM, gear, lateral accel and interpolated longitudinal accel, display and logging.

I'm very excited about it.

I got it through Veracity Data Systems (Dave Ferguson's wife did the deal).
Thorshammer
Yeah, I've been looking at them. I know the Mychron Rep in VA. We call him Mychron Mike. He has some specs and is getting back to me on a price. Should be a very good choice, I am concerned about expandability of the system, I don't really think there is any? Not sure.

What I need is:

Display
4 suspension pots
throttle position
steering position
2 axis accelerometer
oil pressure
2 oil temps
2 cht
2 O2 wide band
lap timer
track mapping (does not have to be GPS)
Fuel pressure
4 other channels for possible strain gauging.

So this is a pretty big bill to fill. But when you buy one of these, you must consider the support available, I was considering Advantage motorsport, but they don't have a display. ?? Can't afford PI or Stack, even though they are the ones I am most familiar. Will see how MyChron (AIM) works for you.

Erik
groot
The AIM Mychron and Pista have track mapping capability, but to log that many channels you'll have to go with the Pista.... add >$500 to the price tag. I gave up a few desires to get my price.

BTW... I figure at $1275 it cost about as much as a bunch of guage and a big tach, and I get track mapping a data logging at no "extra" cost.
Thorshammer
Yeah,

It is cost effective, I would have gone soley with a display if the "donor" rust bucket, I mean racecar, already had some nice VDO stuff. But if you don't log data you don't really know much. Just what the lap time says. I hope to have this car done in the next 6 days. So what is left is to wire the car leaving room for the data system to add in the next couple weeks, but the regional tech is April 2, so it's April second or bust. Well not bust, well maybe broke as in penniless, after all the next day air stuff coming this week. LOL

Erik Madsen
Thorshammer
So, I got a little busy this weekend, Header fab, brake brake lines figured out what I am gonna do for the SCCA fuel test port. Cut down my alternator shaft, broke my lathe. ETC.... The list goes forward two and back one??? Some pictures for you guys. Tilton 5.5 clutch and the Hewland and exhaust fab.

Erik

The Tilton pic should have a caption, "Do I make you randy baby"?
Thorshammer
OOPs Tilton I said. Fingers not listening.

Thorshammer
Header Fabrication, Not Bad, just need to add the mufflers. Wish I could've done what I wanted to do with these Collectors. Had another Y pipe and some stainless tubing, but did not have the room, Thats okay, will be making a new set of headers in a couple months for the Runoffs. Tri Y one muffler. V band clamp right down the middel so I can change the outlet where the sound meter isn't.

Erik
Thorshammer
Another, Without the rotor rust. And this is inside, Maybe I should get a dehumidifyer?
J P Stein
Are you gonna put some sort of balance tube twixt the headers?
Thorshammer
Thought about it, but when I was on the dyno, it did'nt make any difference. At least at the RPMS I was concerned 4500 to 8750

Erik
Brett W
You need my shocks instead of those HEAVY Koni yellows.
TimT
Impressive work!

for the fuel vent, but a few loops in the line, then run the vent basically anywhere you want have the exit end of the hose higher than the loops wink.gif If you do get fuel migrating out the vent hose it will get trapped in the loops (kinda like a sink trap)

About the data logging. I have the Mychron 3 gold for my 911, and the DL90 thats in my 914 now.. I havent used the Mychron 3 yet, but it seems to be a very capable/quality unit. The DL90 is a really good piece also, easy to use software, and a number of data channels..

We have two cars with the MoTec ADL dash, and from what I can see the Aim logger displays are muy bueno.. cool.gif

Another logger dash I looked into is Racepak

and Corsa Instruments makes nice loggers and displays..
Thorshammer
Agree with you on the Shocks, Have Ohlins for the rear just haven't had time to install them. Plan ongoing with Kanna motorsports and then shaking the car at the Ohlins suspension rig. Need to verify the Oerall package first then spend money on the stinky shit.

As for the ADL and so forth, I am impressed by the AIM stuff, so I am probably going to go that way. As for the car, thanks for you kind words and the 930 rocker shaft seals as well. Got them from you a long time ago.

Maybe I'll stop in next time I'm on LI visiting one of my dealers.

Erik
Thorshammer
I've been getting busy lately, After a debacle with an electromotive sensor holder (don't ask) and new axle bolts that were too long, got some grade 12 stuff. The wiring has become a nightmare, well not really. Just time consuming the way I want it done. BTW way does anyone have a wiring diagram?? Just kidding. Pics included.

Erik
Thorshammer
Spent Friday building the car in hopes of going to a regional tech session on Saturday. My Sister lending a hand and chasing parts all over Massachusetts, Thanks to Rene' at Rensport for having a new VDO oil pressure sending unit in stock, I don't even want to knwo what it costs, I have to replace it. Got the clutch hydraulics plumbed, the car wired but for two small items and a CHT sensor lead under the spark plug, 10 Minute job.
Exhaust mufflers and hangers fabricated, engine assembly finished. Tranmission assembly finished, axles on, New CV's packed, don't ask where I got them , they have none left. Heres some more photos. Mostly of the wiring and its routing.
Thorshammer
Back of dash assembly

Thorshammer
and another
Thorshammer

Scca mandates a fuel sampling port, recommends it not be in the engine area, so sorry. Spun this fitting out of brass to couple the quick disconnect to my PMO fuel line adapters. Photos.
Thorshammer
I snapped this photo at about 5:15 AM April 2, The tech session is only 5 hours away, and I realize I am not going to make it after working through the night. You know its bad when the trash pile gets this big in 8 hours.
Thorshammer
I completely changed my throttle cable asembly, even made a new cable. So I needed a new bracket, can anyone identify this piece of stock. The only difference in this and the original is the length, one extra hole drilled into it and two holes enlarged. Hint, it does not belong in the engine compartment or bolts into the engine compartment. Pics of course.

Erik
Thorshammer
I also wanted to mount the fuel distribution so that it would stay cool, so how about on top of the engine shelf and in front of the fan, Should get okay air flow and made the plumbing very easy.

Erik
Jeroen
QUOTE (Thorshammer @ Apr 3 2005, 06:26 AM)
...can anyone identify this piece of stock.

cowl support?

anyway, things look good!
hope you can still make it for your tech session
Thorshammer
Jeroen,

Yes, Cowl Support, had an extra, looked like a match for the bracket I needed. Need to paint it though.

Erik
Thorshammer
Well its finally done!

As I said before, It needs paint, Imagine what YOU can do with 200 $ worth of decals. And no I'm not a cop. The decals just fit into my black gelcoat fender theme.

Erik

Thorshammer
Front End 1/4 photo. I thought about making the sticker say to "protect and serve you your lunch" But thought that might be a little bit over the top.

Erik
Thorshammer
Front trunk area with the oil cooler ducts and the ducting, seems to work okay with the leaf blower check, but we'll see when I get to the track.
Thorshammer
Oil cooler duct exit, oberg oil filter and associated piping.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.