Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fifteen52 Rims For 914, Magnus Walker Outlaw Rims 4x130
Larmo63
post Mar 10 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Mar 10 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #22

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 10 2016, 08:38 PM) *

That could have been designed in Solidworks in an hour...or more likely less.

Tony

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I wonder what the back looks like; those spokes are pretty thick and if the back isn't hollowed they're going to weigh a ton. They certainly don't look like something which has seen any FEA.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Mar 10 2016, 09:12 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 10 2016, 05:38 PM) *

Tony

And?

Not sure why that really matters for something like this, looking at the original 2.0 Fuch I don't see a heck of a lot of "design" going on there, very simple layout. Sure the forging dies had a helluva lot more time into them for sure.

As to the FEA, nothing in the SAE papers I see mentioning that is a requirement and only a few companies actually advertise doing such work.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 10 2016, 09:26 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 11,316
Region Association: South East States

To me? Because I have invested hundred of hours of design and development for mundane consumer products. When I design, I make damn sure it could not be any more refined, down to the minutest of details. It doesn't appear to be conviction of MW - how much he does could be highly debated anyhow.

The wheels look like a first pass...a starting point - not a finished product. I'll look forward to seeing your car with them - they might look better on a car. Way to flashing/Ricer for me but hey - maybe a 16 year would dig them.

T

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 10 2016, 10:12 PM) *

Tony

And?

Not sure why that really matters for something like this, looking at the original 2.0 Fuch I don't see a heck of a lot of "design" going on there, very simple layout. Sure the forging dies had a helluva lot more time into them for sure.

As to the FEA, nothing in the SAE papers I see mentioning that is a requirement and only a few companies actually advertise doing such work.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
audio_file
post Mar 10 2016, 10:37 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 13,409
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

A cautionary tale:
I follow a very talented Porsche engine builder on Instagram, cool guy who always goes the extra mile on his builds- in short, someone who's opinion on automotive related quality I would trust without question. A few months back, he purchased the 1552 "outlaw" wheels for his personal 911. He was less than blown away with the build quality of the wheels, and mentioned that he was disappointed with them on his Instagram account. Within the day, Brad from 1552 and his legal team had threatened to sue unless the comments were removed.

I will never patronize a business who cannot handle criticism from someone who invested in their product, going so far as to threaten to sue over a social media post.

I expect to hear from Brads legal team shortly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
porschetub
post Mar 11 2016, 01:08 AM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 18,995

QUOTE(eric9144 @ Mar 11 2016, 10:36 AM) *

Looking kinda hood (IMG:style_emoticons/default/willis.gif)

I've got to see them on a car to really know though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) and yuk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 11 2016, 03:48 AM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Talk about "over-reach" if that is true...

Just a thought: "Brad" may have recently graduated from one of our countries universities recently...they're indoctrinating our young folk with silencing all dissenting opinion with threats and hate speech. Geez!

T

QUOTE(audio_file @ Mar 10 2016, 11:37 PM) *

A cautionary tale:
I follow a very talented Porsche engine builder on Instagram, cool guy who always goes the extra mile on his builds- in short, someone who's opinion on automotive related quality I would trust without question. A few months back, he purchased the 1552 "outlaw" wheels for his personal 911. He was less than blown away with the build quality of the wheels, and mentioned that he was disappointed with them on his Instagram account. Within the day, Brad from 1552 and his legal team had threatened to sue unless the comments were removed.

I will never patronize a business who cannot handle criticism from someone who invested in their product, going so far as to threaten to sue over a social media post.

I expect to hear from Brads legal team shortly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 11 2016, 07:09 AM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Funny opinion but not really true. (About the universities)

QUOTE(Cracker @ Mar 11 2016, 04:48 AM) *

Talk about "over-reach" if that is true...

Just a thought: "Brad" may have recently graduated from one of our countries universities recently...they're indoctrinating our young folk with silencing all dissenting opinion with threats and hate speech. Geez!

T

A cautionary tale:

+Quote Post
Cracker
post Mar 11 2016, 08:15 AM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Sadly, it is closer to being true than funny. I have a son in college and it is scary what I am hearing him report back (and his friends). Sticking ones head in the sand doesn't make problems go away...they get worse the whole time you're hiding. Our country is in real trouble...enough politics though and back to discussing mediocre wheels.

Tony

[quote name='mepstein' date='Mar 11 2016, 08:09 AM' post='2314124']
Funny opinion but not really true. (About the universities)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 11 2016, 08:17 AM
Post #30

Advanced Member

The MW wheels? Meh.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Mar 11 2016, 08:32 AM
Post #31

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

For me it's not the design as it is not that different from the original. So no real effort needed there. The only plus is the possibility of getting a wheel you can actually get tires for. Except I dislike the look of skinny sidewalls and big ricer wheels. That's where the vintage appeal stops and a whole new discussion begins.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Mar 11 2016, 08:46 AM
Post #32

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964

The Fuch's have a timeless design. That being said, I welcome any design (within reason) that offers a greater tire choice for the 4 bolt pattern.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Mar 11 2016, 08:57 AM
Post #33

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191

QUOTE(76-914 @ Mar 11 2016, 06:46 AM) *

The Fuch's have a timeless design. That being said, I welcome any design (within reason) that offers a greater tire choice for the 4 bolt pattern.

Four bolt patternAttached Image
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Mar 11 2016, 09:15 AM
Post #34

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871

A cautionary tale:

Clearly you aren't worthy of buying their products. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Per their website they are a "lifestyle" complete with t-shirts, key chains and other lifestyle items as well as pictures of the owners posing with Magnus Walker

Unless we get the lifestyle we won't understand the wheel design... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post Mar 11 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #35

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Probably cost 1/2 of what I bought my car for!
+Quote Post
ssuperflyoldguy
post Mar 11 2016, 10:16 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 19,364

QUOTE(Mueller @ Mar 10 2016, 07:12 PM) *

Tony

And?

Attached Image

After seeing those 4 lug 1552's and how they missed the design cues from the 4Lug Fuchs - I now stand up n salute the 4lugFuchs - I kinda liked 1552's 5 lugs, not so much now....
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Mar 11 2016, 10:28 AM
Post #37

Advanced Member

This is off of their website, the 3 piece "Mullett" wheel. Ugly.

Keep your 'lifestyle.'

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Mar 11 2016, 03:51 PM
Post #38

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(audio_file @ Mar 10 2016, 09:37 PM) *

A cautionary tale:
I follow a very talented Porsche engine builder on Instagram, cool guy who always goes the extra mile on his builds- in short, someone who's opinion on automotive related quality I would trust without question. A few months back, he purchased the 1552 "outlaw" wheels for his personal 911. He was less than blown away with the build quality of the wheels, and mentioned that he was disappointed with them on his Instagram account.

They're built like any other billet wheel. I don't know what he was expecting, maybe less of a markup for Brand? People paid extra for Boyd's rims back in the day too.

Ricer... I feel the need to clarify the misuse. Rice-racer, Japanese cars built to mimic Japanese race cars. Wheels are lightweight thin spoke and often a color that stands out. NOTHING billet.
Bling would be big and chrome. Jewelery for the car.
MW makes billet wheels, commonly seen on hotrods and street rods, but colored like an 80's trend.

Given all the retro-purists on this forum, it's going to take some marketing genius to sell big budget rims.
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Mar 11 2016, 07:18 PM
Post #39

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

Is it possible to just enlarge the cutouts on an existing wheel? i would do that...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
steuspeed
post Mar 11 2016, 07:32 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 13,308
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If they were 16s matte w/ polished petals I would be interested. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:08 PM