Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fuel line replacement, Can I use 3/8" ID hose?
chris914
post Mar 24 2005, 04:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,393
Region Association: Southern California

My car has dual carbs on it now. I only need to run one fuel line to the back. It has the stock fuel lines which I want to replace. The fuel pump has 3/8" lines and the carbs have 5/16". I going to run some Earls fuel line to the front and replace the old lines. Can I do it with 3/8" hose? Can I clamp a 3/8" line onto the nipple on the gas tank? Has anyone done that before?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Teknon
post Mar 24 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #2

The more I learn the dumber i think I am

Member No.: 2,505
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Read the article from Pelican

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...e_gas_lines.htm

I won't leave the other line out it can still be hooked up to return from carbs and who knows according to Jake the trend is aftermarket FI. Youcan get 60" brakeline for $6pc. The job is a PITA.
+Quote Post
chris914
post Mar 24 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #3

QUOTE (Teknon @ Mar 24 2005, 02:49 PM)
Read the article from Pelican

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...e_gas_lines.htm

I won't leave the other line out it can still be hooked up to return from carbs and who knows according to Jake the trend is aftermarket FI. Youcan get 60" brakeline for $6pc. The job is a PITA.

I was going to put in a flexible line for now. If I ever put the FI back in I will move the pump to the front.
+Quote Post
3liter914-6
post Mar 24 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #4

Master of Clueless Posts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,238
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I ran flexible hose, 3/8" Aeroquip socketless, from the gas tank back to the fuel pump on my /6. Took some work as it doesn't fish through as nicely as a hard line. Is this what you're trying to do? I'm actually just finishing up redoing it as I decided I didn't feel the hose was abrasion resistant enough for me to feel comfortable. If it is what you're trying to do, you'll have to open the openings in the rear firewall to pull them through. I recommend still getting a long piece of 3/8" line, run it up to the front of the car from the engine compartment, attach the hose and use the line to pull the hose back through.

The 3/8" hose fit fine for me btw, so fine in fact that when I disconnect from the tank nipple I actually have to cut the line, then cut a slit in the piece over the nipple to get it off.
+Quote Post
chris914
post Mar 24 2005, 06:06 PM
Post #5

QUOTE (3liter914-6 @ Mar 24 2005, 03:47 PM)
I ran flexible hose, 3/8" Aeroquip socketless, from the gas tank back to the fuel pump on my /6. Took some work as it doesn't fish through as nicely as a hard line. Is this what you're trying to do? I'm actually just finishing up redoing it as I decided I didn't feel the hose was abrasion resistant enough for me to feel comfortable. If it is what you're trying to do, you'll have to open the openings in the rear firewall to pull them through. I recommend still getting a long piece of 3/8" line, run it up to the front of the car from the engine compartment, attach the hose and use the line to pull the hose back through.

The 3/8" hose fit fine for me btw, so fine in fact that when I disconnect from the tank nipple I actually have to cut the line, then cut a slit in the piece over the nipple to get it off.

Yes I'm going to run a fexible line for now. When I take the motor out again I was going to run a hard line. Thanks.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Mar 24 2005, 06:40 PM
Post #6

Ernie made me do it!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 257

Why bother to replace the fuel line now? Unless the 3/8" feed line is damaged, I would continue to use it until you can replace it with hard lines. Why do you want to replace it with flexible line that will be more susceptable to degrading/damage than the original plastic lines?

I see replacing the original lines with hard lines as an upgrade. I consider replacing the original lines with flexible rubber lines a downgrade.

Just my .02

Demick
+Quote Post
chris914
post Mar 25 2005, 01:28 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (Demick @ Mar 24 2005, 04:40 PM)
Why bother to replace the fuel line now? Unless the 3/8" feed line is damaged, I would continue to use it until you can replace it with hard lines. Why do you want to replace it with flexible line that will be more susceptable to degrading/damage than the original plastic lines?

I see replacing the original lines with hard lines as an upgrade. I consider replacing the original lines with flexible rubber lines a downgrade.

Just my .02

Demick

I need to put a sway bar in quickly.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 07:38 PM