Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel line replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
My car has dual carbs on it now. I only need to run one fuel line to the back. It has the stock fuel lines which I want to replace. The fuel pump has 3/8" lines and the carbs have 5/16". I going to run some Earls fuel line to the front and replace the old lines. Can I do it with 3/8" hose? Can I clamp a 3/8" line onto the nipple on the gas tank? Has anyone done that before?
Teknon
Read the article from Pelican

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...e_gas_lines.htm

I won't leave the other line out it can still be hooked up to return from carbs and who knows according to Jake the trend is aftermarket FI. Youcan get 60" brakeline for $6pc. The job is a PITA.
chris914
QUOTE (Teknon @ Mar 24 2005, 02:49 PM)
Read the article from Pelican

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...e_gas_lines.htm

I won't leave the other line out it can still be hooked up to return from carbs and who knows according to Jake the trend is aftermarket FI. Youcan get 60" brakeline for $6pc. The job is a PITA.

I was going to put in a flexible line for now. If I ever put the FI back in I will move the pump to the front.
3liter914-6
I ran flexible hose, 3/8" Aeroquip socketless, from the gas tank back to the fuel pump on my /6. Took some work as it doesn't fish through as nicely as a hard line. Is this what you're trying to do? I'm actually just finishing up redoing it as I decided I didn't feel the hose was abrasion resistant enough for me to feel comfortable. If it is what you're trying to do, you'll have to open the openings in the rear firewall to pull them through. I recommend still getting a long piece of 3/8" line, run it up to the front of the car from the engine compartment, attach the hose and use the line to pull the hose back through.

The 3/8" hose fit fine for me btw, so fine in fact that when I disconnect from the tank nipple I actually have to cut the line, then cut a slit in the piece over the nipple to get it off.
chris914
QUOTE (3liter914-6 @ Mar 24 2005, 03:47 PM)
I ran flexible hose, 3/8" Aeroquip socketless, from the gas tank back to the fuel pump on my /6. Took some work as it doesn't fish through as nicely as a hard line. Is this what you're trying to do? I'm actually just finishing up redoing it as I decided I didn't feel the hose was abrasion resistant enough for me to feel comfortable. If it is what you're trying to do, you'll have to open the openings in the rear firewall to pull them through. I recommend still getting a long piece of 3/8" line, run it up to the front of the car from the engine compartment, attach the hose and use the line to pull the hose back through.

The 3/8" hose fit fine for me btw, so fine in fact that when I disconnect from the tank nipple I actually have to cut the line, then cut a slit in the piece over the nipple to get it off.

Yes I'm going to run a fexible line for now. When I take the motor out again I was going to run a hard line. Thanks.
Demick
Why bother to replace the fuel line now? Unless the 3/8" feed line is damaged, I would continue to use it until you can replace it with hard lines. Why do you want to replace it with flexible line that will be more susceptable to degrading/damage than the original plastic lines?

I see replacing the original lines with hard lines as an upgrade. I consider replacing the original lines with flexible rubber lines a downgrade.

Just my .02

Demick
chris914
QUOTE (Demick @ Mar 24 2005, 04:40 PM)
Why bother to replace the fuel line now? Unless the 3/8" feed line is damaged, I would continue to use it until you can replace it with hard lines. Why do you want to replace it with flexible line that will be more susceptable to degrading/damage than the original plastic lines?

I see replacing the original lines with hard lines as an upgrade. I consider replacing the original lines with flexible rubber lines a downgrade.

Just my .02

Demick

I need to put a sway bar in quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.