Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fog light/horn grill, restoration
fsh2liv
post Mar 17 2016, 05:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,687
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I have a corroded set. I saw a set sell on the parts forum. They had been powder coated. I inquired into this at a local shop. He said they couldn't be being that they are plastic and couldn't be baked. Any suggestions?
Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Mar 17 2016, 06:58 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(fsh2liv @ Mar 17 2016, 06:23 PM) *

I have a corroded set. I saw a set sell on the parts forum. They had been powder coated. I inquired into this at a local shop. He said they couldn't be being that they are plastic and couldn't be baked. Any suggestions?
Thanks

I have a set that were beautifully re-done 15+ years ago by a company in Canada. he reproduced the factory suppliers process, which is frought with really nasty chemicals. Unfortunately, I believe they are gone because of environmental issues.
Except for very early grills (which were metal) these are plastic and will melt in an oven. You have three choices:
1. Strip and re-finish with paint
2. Buy replacements. These are NOT Porsche parts, and usually don't have the sheen of the originals but may be a more viable approach.
3. Advertise for NOS parts. They are out there. You just have to pry them away from the owners. Some are pristine. Some are usable and presentable. Put a wanted ad out there & go from there.
+Quote Post
fsh2liv
post Mar 18 2016, 11:22 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 16,687
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Mar 17 2016, 05:58 PM) *

QUOTE(fsh2liv @ Mar 17 2016, 06:23 PM) *

Thanks

I have a set that were beautifully re-done 15+ years ago by a company in Canada. he reproduced the factory suppliers process, which is frought with really nasty chemicals. Unfortunately, I believe they are gone because of environmental issues.
Except for very early grills (which were metal) these are plastic and will melt in an oven. You have three choices:
1. Strip and re-finish with paint
2. Buy replacements. These are NOT Porsche parts, and usually don't have the sheen of the originals but may be a more viable approach.
3. Advertise for NOS parts. They are out there. You just have to pry them away from the owners. Some are pristine. Some are usable and presentable. Put a wanted ad out there & go from there.

thanks for your suggestions.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:56 PM